No More Porte-a-Cabin

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    What border? In theory but there are no border controls within Schengen area...
    ddraver wrote:

The roads from Holland to Antwerp are exceptional. The border is almost invisible now. it's basically the change in speed limit

I had forgotten the Schengen agreement - and that not all roads are as bad as ours in England
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    These are professional sports men competing in an arduous sport where rest and recovery are essential. Imagine trying to get to sleep in such a tiny bed having had a heavy crash during that day's stage and knowing you've got 5 hours in the saddle tomorrow. I've stayed in some poor quality hotels in my time but I've never seen a bed that small.

How do you know how big the bed is ?

Are you unable to estimate something by perspective and known dimensions? Most beds are 6' long so the bunks in that photo are likely to be about 2' 3" or 2' 6". Hardly big for a grown man. Of course, I could be wrong and they might be in a massive hotel room and be 10' x 4' but I tend to work on the balance of probability.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    One of the Jumbo sponsors is a bed company, they take their own mattresses with them to each hotel. At least that eliminates one variable each night.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Ancient news. Deleted.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    According to the Velocast show I was listening to last night (and it could be completely wrong), the UCI changed the rule after a request from the riders. Apparently they had a meeting (without Sky) and agreed that they didn't want RV accommodation at races. No idea on the veracity, but even more curious given that Eisel is one of the rider reps to the UCI.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting. Seems likely though considering Sky are not exactly well liked in the peloton.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    According to the Velocast show I was listening to last night (and it could be completely wrong), the UCI changed the rule after a request from the riders. Apparently they had a meeting (without Sky) and agreed that they didn't want RV accommodation at races. No idea on the veracity, but even more curious given that Eisel is one of the rider reps to the UCI.
    If they did then they are stupid. They could have used it as leverage to get better hotels for themselves.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Interesting. Seems likely though considering Sky are not exactly well liked in the peloton.

envy.jpg
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Any proof at all by this?

I'm sure Sky don't mind either way.
  • Macaloon
    edited June 2015
    Curious that it's the wild African from the bush campaigning against facilities in France, charging around like a daily male TripAdvisor vigilante. You can remove the boy from the colonies, but you can't take the colonial out of the man it seems. How much of his backstory is total BS?
  • frenchfighter

The proof as always is in the pudding.

Patriotic-Pudding-Cups-6.jpg
    IMG_1266.JPG
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

The proof as always is in the pudding.

Patriotic-Pudding-Cups-6.jpg

What?

Let's look at the evidence, look how many people came out and supported Sky when their carer died at the Vuelta, and how many came out in support of Richie at the Giro this year. Not to mention another team rider giving him a wheel. The secret pro talks about Froome being one of the best liked riders in the peloton.
  • RichN95.
    Curious that it's the wild African from the bush campaigning against facilities in France, charging around like a daily male TripAdvisor vigilante. You can remove the boy from the colonies, but you can't take the colonial out of the man it seems. How much of his backstory is total BS?
    You make it sound as though it was his idea. It wasn't. As podcast listeners know it was originally Cal Crutchlow's idea (Moto GP rider) and other riders - notably Tom Boonen - had considered it in the past.

And anyway, there's nothing wrong with wanting to do something better. That's how we progress.
  • Macaloon
    It's just a little confusing that a guy who hacked and hitch-hiked his way to the UCI World Championships wearing nothing but flip-flops is now whining about French hotels. Wonder what the legendary boys back home think?
    Froome7_2601216b.jpg
  • RichN95.
    It's just a little confusing that a guy who hacked and hitch-hiked his way to the UCI World Championships wearing nothing but flip-flops is now whining about French hotels. Wonder what the legendary boys back home think?
    He's a world class sportsman in a multi-million pound sport. He and his team are concerned only about performing at the best of their ability. And when they spend a third of their time at the Tour asleep, that's a not an area where they should be forced to accept fourth rate facilities.
    It's Wimbledon next week. The top players rent out local houses. They don't sleep in a bunk bed at a youth hostel.
  • Macaloon
    You make it sound as though it was his idea. It wasn't. As podcast listeners know it was originally Cal Crutchlow's idea (Moto GP rider) and other riders - notably Tom Boonen - had considered it in the past.

And anyway, there's nothing wrong with wanting to do something better. That's how we progress.

He was forced to tweet all those holiday snaps? Don't think so.

Nothing wrong with the governing body curbing mindless inflation in costs, and environmental impact, of competing at Grand Tours. If Brailsford was more than a clipboard jockey he'd be able to come up with something more imaginative than chucking Murdoch's money at the 'problem'.

Britain's cycling guru's main contribution to this year's tour is to incite a row about privilege. Pathetic.
  • Macaloon
    He's a world class sportsman in a multi-million pound sport. He and his team are concerned only about performing at the best of their ability. And when they spend a third of their time at the Tour asleep, that's a not an area where they should be forced to accept fourth rate facilities.
    It's Wimbledon next week. The top players rent out local houses. They don't sleep in a bunk bed at a youth hostel.

Then GTF with the knighthoods. It may have escaped your notice that some people follow cycling precisely because it lacks some of the nauseating excesses of F1, tennis etc.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Then GTF with the knighthoods. It may have escaped your notice that some people follow cycling precisely because it lacks some of the nauseating excesses of F1, tennis etc.

Well how is that Sky's problem?!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067

It's been done a lot longer than Cruthlow in other sports though. Bode Millar began using one in 2003 and was quickly followed by lots of other US skiers. Froome clearly saw this vid of MIller's training programme featuring his RV and was sold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gSwL-qhLZw - van about 2:20 in.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • disgruntledgoat

It's been done a lot longer than Cruthlow in other sports though. Bode Millar began using one in 2003 and was quickly followed by lots of other US skiers. Froome clearly saw this vid of MIller's training programme featuring his RV and was sold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gSwL-qhLZw - van about 2:20 in.

And every cyclocross rider
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    i-NGP3f8W.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    er, yes.

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    So what. All teams at the Tour have multi million pound budgets. This is not an amateur sport. It never was.
    Sky are in the business of winning races, not pandering to whatever distorted image of the sport you have constructed for yourself.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    And every cyclocross rider

Are cyclocross riders provided with accommodation by event hosts, choosing the RV instead though? They are in World Cup skiing, and it kicked up a similar fuss to this thread when the US started doing it. Mainly used it as an excuse to post Miller's vid and imagine Froome ever doing something similar :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • RichN95.

Yes, of course it's been done in other sports. But Crutchlow was the one who gave the idea to Sky.
  • disgruntledgoat
    So what. All teams at the Tour have multi million pound budgets. This is not an amateur sport. It never was.
    Sky are in the business of winning races, not pandering to whatever distorted image of the sport you have constructed for yourself.

It strikes me that macca's problem isn't with these things. Or he'd also be bemoaning carbon fibre, the demise of wool shorts and team cars. His problem is Sky. They could be winning the tour on steel bikes with downtube shifters and doing a night shift rescuing kittens from trees whilst eating only the plat de jour from the corner café and sleeping in a bus stop like an audax rider and he'd still have the hump

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Thing about these other sports referenced that used RVs is that they are based on a course/circuit where you show up for a long weekend. The parking space is available and the logistics are pretty straightforward.

Trying to add RVs to the rest of vehicles that accompany a GT is both logistically and economically a major challenge.

Agree that more pressure ought to be put to ensure a basic minimum standard of accommodation. But as I understand it, at least at the TdF, ASO have a ranking system and the accommodation quality is fairly spread out across the teams. It's not ideal, but it's a fairer approach than just letting the rich teams get the best places all the time.
  • frenchfighter
    Thing about these other sports referenced that used RVs is that they are based on a course/circuit where you show up for a long weekend. The parking space is available and the logistics are pretty straightforward.

Trying to add RVs to the rest of vehicles that accompany a GT is both logistically and economically a major challenge.

Agree that more pressure ought to be put to ensure a basic minimum standard of accommodation. But as I understand it, at least at the TdF, ASO have a ranking system and the accommodation quality is fairly spread out across the teams. It's not ideal, but it's a fairer approach than just letting the rich teams get the best places all the time.

+1
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Britain's cycling guru's main contribution to this year's tour is to incite a row about privilege. Pathetic.
    Give it a rest. The Tour hasn't even started yet, and you're the only one trying to incite anything as far as I can tell...
  • frenchfighter
    Sky is in takeover talks from Vodafone and Verizon (nothing yet as Mr Shady is asking for 80% premium). Wonder what the team gets called if it goes threw sometime in the future.
    Contador is the Greatest