No More Porte-a-Cabin

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,539
edited July 2015 in Pro race
The UCI as always have showed they are on top of the things that really matter by introducing a new rule stating that riders must sleep in their designated team hotel throughout races, therefore no more motor homes as used by Sky at the Giro. Surely what should be done is to set minimum hotel standards as some accounts of accommodation that even the top riders have to endure are poor to say the least.

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    But there will be no 4 & 5*s left for all the journo's and hangers on to stay in :wink:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The teams with the biggest budgets already have the means to altitude dope themselves out of sight of those teams who can't afford a volcano. I don't see what's wrong with the governing body trying to bring them back to earth.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    No arguments about a level playing field during the race, but at least raise the minimum standards ...

CH4wK5LWEAADQPX.jpg

Kloden and Rast's room during the 2010 Tour (@TheRaceRadio)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,539
    One pro (can't remember who) tweeted on hearing about the new rule that they were sleeping on a mattress on the floor at the Tour de Suisse. It's no wonder teams with the financial means are looking to make their own arrangements. It's a tough enough sport without the additional discomfort and health risks riders face with some of the accommodation they are forced to use. I would walk away if I turned up at a hotel and got offered the room above.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Ive not read any reports on this happening this year,so doesnt mean it still isnt happening, but I know past couple of seasons on the Womens pro tour in Europe at some of the races the riders were forced to sleep in vans or in tents, so a bunk bed might be considered a step up.

but it doesnt feel all that long ago that Team buses were a bit of a novelty on the pro tour, now they are almost considered as essential equipment, so you can see the UCI thinking this is just going to escalate and before long there will be another 50+ vehicles on tours to accreditate and find space to park and convoy in and so on.

Sky still take all their own mattresses and bed linen around dont they, so even if its a horrid hotel they arent slumming it that badly
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good.

They could raise the standards but unfortunately there are not enough rooms in some of these smaller places.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    edited June 2015
    They could raise the standards but unfortunately there are not enough rooms in some of these smaller places.
    Shouldn't anyone be allowed to arrange alternative accommodation?

Apart from the military, prison and slave camps, can you name any walk of life where someone doesn't have freedom choice of where they sleep?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559

Apart from the military, prison and slave camps, can you name any walk of life where someone doesn't not have freedom choice of where they sleep?

Boarding school
  • RichN95.
    Boarding school
    Er, no. And I went to boarding school. They have what are know as 'day boys'.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424

Apart from the military, prison and slave camps, can you name any walk of life where someone doesn't not have freedom choice of where they sleep?
    Yes and No.

Some companies have strict policies where if you require overnight accommodation you must use a certain hotel chain. The exception is if there is no hotel within reasonable distance. Though it could be argued that the individual still has the choice to not use the specified hotel chain and sleep elsewhere, it will be without reimbursement.

Keep the good local accommodation for the riders....it shouldn't be too difficult for a group of journos and non-essential organisers and VIPs to travel a few extra kms in the morning.
  • RichN95.

Some companies have strict policies where if you require overnight accommodation you must use a certain hotel chain. The exception is if there is no hotel within reasonable distance. Though it could be argued that the individual still has the choice to not use the specified hotel chain and sleep elsewhere, it will be without reimbursement.
    And that's the case here. Sky aren't asking ASO to pay for the motorhome. And the hotel is still being paid. I'm sure Sky would be willing to pay for extras too.

And even in the case you outline, the employee would still be allowed to go and sleep in his car in the car park if he so wished.
    Keep the good local accommodation for the riders....
    And that's the real issue here. There is an obvious problem with riders rooms. Sky have come up with a partial solution. And rather than address or even acknowledge that issue, the UCI have banned the solution.

As to what happens next for Sky. My guess is they will legally challenge the rule - it's almost certainly illegal under EU law - and it will be dropped.
    If they don't they will still take it along for the Tour - plenty of other viable reasons to do so - and if they get a crap hotel prior to an important stage then Froome will go in there and if discover they'll take then fine.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I assume they've also made a rule which bans taking *some* riders off the top of mountains in helicopters too?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    What's the sanction for saying "hang it" and just doing whatever you were going to do in the first place? Because I can't see organisers and fans being enormously happy about a race being decided by a grown adult's decision to sleep wherever they damn well please.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon
    There's a squalid disregard for the environment in this thread. Must be solstice fever. This brand new 'issue' could be solved by upgrading the existing facilities as part of the civic benefit of staging a Tour start. No need to pour more petroleum on the mountains. Sickening stuff from Brailsford and Froome.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There's a squalid disregard for the environment in this thread. Must be solstice fever. This brand new 'issue' could be solved by upgrading the existing facilities as part of the civic benefit of staging a Tour start. No need to pour more petroleum on the mountains. Sickening stuff from Brailsford and Froome.

Wait, you're suggesting what would probably amount to multi million euro upgrades of hotels could be done as a civic benefit? The local markets probably support x hotel rooms of a certain quality, and I'm not sure 1 day of occupancy every couple of years is enough to make anyone want to spend that kind of money.

The riders need to decide on a minimum standard they'd be happy with, and insist that races only use accommodation that meets those standards. And that shouldn't just be room quality, but also environmental, ie, is there a club in the hotel playing euro-house til 2am?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat

Wait, you're suggesting what would probably amount to multi million euro upgrades of hotels could be done as a civic benefit? The local markets probably support x hotel rooms of a certain quality, and I'm not sure 1 day of occupancy every couple of years is enough to make anyone want to spend that kind of money.

The riders need to decide on a minimum standard they'd be happy with, and insist that races only use accommodation that meets those standards. And that shouldn't just be room quality, but also environmental, ie, is there a club in the hotel playing euro-house til 2am?

For Jacky Durand, that was a must
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    What's the sanction for saying "hang it" and just doing whatever you were going to do in the first place? Because I can't see organisers and fans being enormously happy about a race being decided by a grown adult's decision to sleep wherever they damn well please.

It's not clear but suggested that it 10,000 swiss francs a day
    So £6k
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • disgruntledgoat

It's not clear but suggested that it 10,000 swiss francs a day
    So £6k

So punt the side of your camper van to a different sponsor or get a hotel chain to throw in some cash to get its name promoted as "the choice of team X" and better than the average and you've offset it!

@gietvangent
  • Macaloon

Why are the towns bidding for the exposure a Tour start brings if not to showcase their desirability as a place to visit? It would be easy enough for the Tour to stipulate minimum standards as a cost of winning a start.

That was just one idea. This maniac Brailsford is trying to reduce the grandest of sporting events to a series of watts tests over ~ 4 km. Burning the planet in the process is just what you have to do to meet your goals, you know.

He must be stopped.
    ;)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Its probably easier to have a blood transfusion in a bus.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    I mean the thing he got really excited about was Bradley's choice of gear. Like listening to Google Translate from 28:00 on the latest Cycling Podcast. The man to inspire a nation of management accountants.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    One pro (can't remember who) tweeted on hearing about the new rule that they were sleeping on a mattress on the floor at the Tour de Suisse. It's no wonder teams with the financial means are looking to make their own arrangements. It's a tough enough sport without the additional discomfort and health risks riders face with some of the accommodation they are forced to use. I would walk away if I turned up at a hotel and got offered the room above.

I'd be quite happy to sleep in that - these are young guys and it's a clean room with a bed - if that's the worst example I still say big deal. I suppose they could all stay in 5 star hotels but are they happy to pay for it - the money comes out of the sport somewhere. I agree that it's silly having a rule banning them from finding alternative places to stay so long as the uci know where they can get hold of them but ifhaving to sleep in a budget hotel is the worst of their worries they are lucky.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • disgruntledgoat

All class.

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

Easier in the Russian bad guy's secret lair?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    UCI in another 'pointless rule' shocker. Good to see them addressing the big issues....

They're getting closer to challenge FIFA as the most useless sporting governing body.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • disgruntledgoat
    UCI in another 'pointless rule' shocker. Good to see them addressing the big issues....

They're getting closer to challenge FIFA as the most useless sporting governing body.

Nowhere near... you just have more exposure to them.

@gietvangent
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Park the SKY motor-home IN the hotel's underground car park. Job done. Technically, in this situation, the Froomester would be sleeping "in" the hotel? :lol:

DD.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326

This post reported to Dirk Hofman.

Seriously though, GTs must be one of the least environmentally friendly sports out there already. Fans, journalists, teams, broadcasters, equipment all driving across Europe...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    On Twitter

@lionelbirnie
    Just had an email telling me that the swimming pool at one of the hotels I’ve booked for the Tour de France will be closed for renovation.

That's just inhumane. Surely this is where we have to say 'enough is enough'
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    if it was contadope would have got one years ago