Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Interesting article for those of you who think that nice cuddly Labour will let lots of people come to the UK (unlike the nasty Tories):
    https://msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-aims-to-halve-net-migration-in-first-term/ar-AA1ky4Et?cvid=681c296356c94cdebff4b45c2797993c&ocid=winp2fptaskbarent&ei=14

Wonder how they will manage that?

Not sure anyone here has claimed the Conservatives are not letting lots of people come to the UK Stevo. Quite the contrary.
    The point is what Labour are planning to do. Any comments on that?
    Thought not ;)
    I think creating clear blue water between them and the Tories on immigration is a good idea.

I suspect whatever number the Tories let in that Labour would pledge to halve it, with the number at 700,000 you get more bang for your halving pledge.
    It will be interesting to see how Labour claim they will do this.
    Surely the point is that on the quiet the Tories have tripled the number of immigrants?

Maybe banging on about a few thousand illegals is merely distraction.

The Tories gave out all the visas so all Starmer has to do is give out less.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,557
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Great job on immigration. They should shout about it more. Weird that they are so embarrassed about it.

Probably upsets a few people who worry about 'British values' and of course all the people who think we are'running out of space', but who cares?

Well if you're OK with an ever rising population on an island with limited space and the strain that puts on services, housing, quality of life etc, that's up to you. Not sure how quality of life is a uniquely British value.
    Best speak to your MP or something. See if you can get them to change course 🤣
    I'm happy either my quality of life, ta. Not living in a small house in a crowded area kinda helps, but if you've got used to London suburbia then good for you ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Interesting article for those of you who think that nice cuddly Labour will let lots of people come to the UK (unlike the nasty Tories):
    https://msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-aims-to-halve-net-migration-in-first-term/ar-AA1ky4Et?cvid=681c296356c94cdebff4b45c2797993c&ocid=winp2fptaskbarent&ei=14

Not sure anyone here has claimed the Conservatives are not letting lots of people come to the UK Stevo. Quite the contrary.
    Thought not ;)
    I think creating clear blue water between them and the Tories on immigration is a good idea.

I suspect whatever number the Tories let in that Labour would pledge to halve it, with the number at 700,000 you get more bang for your halving pledge.
    Surely the point is that on the quiet the Tories have tripled the number of immigrants?

I have a gut feel that it won't be that easy for them even if they mean what they have said on immigration.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Great job on immigration. They should shout about it more. Weird that they are so embarrassed about it.

Probably upsets a few people who worry about 'British values' and of course all the people who think we are'running out of space', but who cares?

Well if you're OK with an ever rising population on an island with limited space and the strain that puts on services, housing, quality of life etc, that's up to you. Not sure how quality of life is a uniquely British value.
    Your Party has waved in 700,000 extra people in the last year (whilst making a massive deal of stopping a few thousand entering in small boats).

I think that you'll find that Stevo doesn't care what His Party have done to the country for the past 13 years, but he's 100% confident that Labour will be worse.
    Strangely enough I take into account whether or not Labour will be worse for me. I don't pretend to speak for others, unlike some on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Your Party has waved in 700,000 extra people in the last year (whilst making a massive deal of stopping a few thousand entering in small boats).

I think that you'll find that Stevo doesn't care what His Party have done to the country for the past 13 years, but he's 100% confident that Labour will be worse.
    Strangely enough I take into account whether or not Labour will be worse for me. I don't pretend to speak for others, unlike some on here.
    The Tories are definitely the right Party for you then. That could become their election motto “Putting ourselves first’.

People obviously have to consider what is best for them but surely having a country where the whole population is well looked after is beneficial to everyone? The greater the divide between those doing well and those who aren’t the greater the likelihood of issues such as crime levels and also if everyone is working and earning good money there is more scope to keep taxes low than if we’re funding a large social security bill.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I'm happy either my quality of life, ta. Not living in a small house in a crowded area kinda helps, but if you've got used to London suburbia then good for you ;)
    😆 Top snobbery!

Seeing as we're both very happy, I don't see a problem. I'm very happy with the more liberal approach to immigration. One might even call it a Brexit bonus! So Labour setting some arbitrary number sounds like a stupid idea. On the other hand, merely promising to reduce immigration, while giving out more visas seems popular, so maybe they've learnt a trick.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

The Tories are definitely the right Party for you then. That could become their election motto “Putting ourselves first’.

People obviously have to consider what is best for them but surely having a country where the whole population is well looked after is beneficial to everyone? The greater the divide between those doing well and those who aren’t the greater the likelihood of issues such as crime levels and also if everyone is working and earning good money there is more scope to keep taxes low than if we’re funding a large social security bill.
    It's pretty simple really, if everyone votes honestly for the party they think will be best for them, then the government elected should be the one that is best for the largest number of voters. But as long as know-it-alls who think they know what best for others continue to vote that way, the system gets messed up.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

😆 Top snobbery!

Seeing as we're both very happy, I don't see a problem. I'm very happy with the more liberal approach to immigration. One might even call it a Brexit bonus! So Labour setting some arbitrary number sounds like a stupid idea. On the other hand, merely promising to reduce immigration, while giving out more visas seems popular, so maybe they've learnt a trick.
    Why the hell not? I'm just glad you're happy to take one for the team and not overcrowd the nicer parts of the country :smiley:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

It's pretty simple really, if everyone votes honestly for the party they think will be best for them, then the government elected should be the one that is best for the largest number of voters. But as long as know-it-alls who think they know what best for others continue to vote that way, the system gets messed up.
    Was the conservative 80 seat majority a result of people voting for the best interests of others? Or does this logic only apply when the tories don't win?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Thought not ;)

I have a gut feel that it won't be that easy for them even if they mean what they have said on immigration.
    But the Tories have chosen this level of immigration, they just pretend they have no control over it.

Reducing it is easy - hand out less visas
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Was the conservative 80 seat majority a result of people voting for the best interests of others? Or does this logic only apply when the tories don't win?
    No idea what basis others used to vote. You should know that.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Thought not ;)

But the Tories have chosen this level of immigration, they just pretend they have no control over it.

Starmer doesn't seem to think its that easy.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

*most voters want more limited immigration* for the last time

It's fairly obvious. I thought it was worth making the point in Cake Stop as that doesn't seem to be a representative cross section of voters.
    Shame for you your party has been breaking records for the net immigration, eh?
    As I recall you're an advocate of the 'let them all in, the more the merrier' approach to immigration, so either you think the Tories are doing a good job, or else you've changed your tune and think that the numbers need to be reduced.

Which one is it?
    I think we can all agree the party is not aiming to win my vote. If we agree the majority of the British public want less immigration, and the Tory party have positioned themselves as the party of less immigration, then they have failed on that measure, spectacularly.

It's not just they haven't reduced immigration. It is at record highs under after 13 years of their governance.

So do I think the Tories are doing a good job? I think they are not meeting the objectives they set themselves, so by that measure it is a failure.

Am I fussed about 700,000 odd more people coming in to the UK? Not especially, though I do have views about the advantages of taking immigrants from more similar countries, and the additional cost of taking people on from cultures far from the UK's, especially when it comes to views on liberty.

I also think we need to be realistic about the impact of 700,000 new people a year arriving from different cultures. It has impacts on housing and public services, for good and bad, but the current approach to burry your head in the sand is not serving anyone, neither the immigrants nor the locals.

• rjsterry
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

😆 Top snobbery!

Why the hell not? I'm just glad you're happy to take one for the team and not overcrowd the nicer parts of the country :smiley:
    There's nothing being taken for any team.

Come the greenbelt bonfire I'd say development is more likely in Kent than where I live.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Sorry your comment "But as long as know-it-alls who think they know what best for others continue to vote that way" implied you knew why people were voting the way they were.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Thought not ;)

Starmer doesn't seem to think its that easy.
    There will be trade offs but it really is that simple.

If I was Starmer I would not show myhand until much closer to polling day and I would make it look difficult so when I metmy pledge to halve the net immigration number I looked like a total God.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    edited November 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

What if the Party that I used to think was the best for me has ceased to exist and been taken over by a bunch of far right loons with none of the others really offering the policies I'd like to see in an alternative?
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

What if the Party that I used to think was the best for me has ceased to exist and been taken over by a bunch of far right loons with none of the others really offering the policies I'd like to see in an alternative?
    Never knew you used to be a UKIP supporter?
  • Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Except in the brexit vote, as you said above.
  • Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Strangely the party that I used to think was best for me was taken over by some hard left economic illiterates.
  • Stevo_666

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Strangely the party that I used to think was best for me was taken over by some hard left economic illiterates.
    Ah, OK - you're a Labour supporter.
  • Stevo_666
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,476
    Stevo_666 said:

Rather echoes what quite a few of us 'have-voted-Tory-in-the-past' have been saying. What's quite amusing is that you are apparently unable to see (or unwilling to admit) that continuing not to see the inadequacies of the current government is doing 'your team' no favours, as they drift off further and further to the right, and lose anyone with any competency and attract more from the lunatic fringe (see Susan Hall, for instance).
  • rjsterry
    From what I've seen Labour supporters - at least those who were never really accepted Starmer as leader - were more bothered about him quietly dropping the ten pledges he published when he was running for leader. Not sure it matters either way. If there were enough of them he wouldn't be leader.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,485
    rjsterry said:

From what I've seen Labour supporters - at least those who were never really accepted Starmer as leader - were more bothered about him quietly dropping the ten pledges he published when he was running for leader. Not sure it matters either way. If there were enough of them he wouldn't be leader.

He's not known to have policies or political beliefs. A classic politician.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,853
    edited December 2023

rjsterry said:

Starmer was born in Southwark, London, on 2 September 1962.[3][4] He grew up in the small town of Oxted in Surrey.[5][6][7] He was the second of the four children of Josephine (née Baker), a nurse, and Rodney Starmer, who was a toolmaker.[7][8] His mother had Still's disease.[9][10] His parents were Labour Party supporters, and named him after the party's first parliamentary leader, Keir Hardie.[

In his teenage years, Starmer was active in Labour politics; he was a member of the Labour Party Young Socialists in East Surrey.[8][7] He was a junior exhibitioner at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama until the age of 18, and played the flute, piano, recorder and violin.[16] Starmer studied law at the University of Leeds, graduating with first class honours and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree in 1985, becoming the first member of his family to graduate.[11][17] He undertook postgraduate studies at St Edmund Hall, Oxford, graduating from the University of Oxford as a Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL) in 1986.[18][11] From 1986 to 1987, Keir Starmer served as the editor of Socialist Alternatives,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keir_Starmer

Are you sure about that?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Dogmatic political beliefs are the luxury of people who have no intention of governing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Rather echoes what quite a few of us 'have-voted-Tory-in-the-past' have been saying. What's quite amusing is that you are apparently unable to see (or unwilling to admit) that continuing not to see the inadequacies of the current government is doing 'your team' no favours, as they drift off further and further to the right, and lose anyone with any competency and attract more from the lunatic fringe (see Susan Hall, for instance).
    This is the leftie bashing thread, you've got the other thread to do your Carol Vorderman thing.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,476
    edited December 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

This is the leftie bashing thread, you've got the other thread to do your Carol Vorderman thing.

Fair point, Richard.

• Am not surprised that The Telegraph managed to selectively quote an article written for The Telegraph. Am surprised that Starmer apparently couldn't foresee it.