Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• What's so nutty about it?

Anyone whose major focus in their protest is what Starmer says about it is not a serious person.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    edited November 2023

What's so nutty about it?

local councillors resigning over something the UK has no say over half way around the world seems pretty nutty to me.
    The UK doesn't get to change anything, but it does get to have a stated position. Someone resigning because they don't believe in their leader's position seems reasonable to me.
    If they had some disagreement over something the councillors had a say in, then fair enough. I don't really know why foreign policy is of concern to councillors?

Not least as it is entirely symbolic. I mean, if it was about an actual UK invasion, fair enough.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,528
    Increasingly of the opinion that national parties don't work very well at the local level.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514

local councillors resigning over something the UK has no say over half way around the world seems pretty nutty to me.
    The UK doesn't get to change anything, but it does get to have a stated position. Someone resigning because they don't believe in their leader's position seems reasonable to me.
    If they had some disagreement over something the councillors had a say in, then fair enough. I don't really know why foreign policy is of concern to councillors?

Not least as it is entirely symbolic. I mean, if it was about an actual UK invasion, fair enough.
    I disagree. So, I guess I'm a nutter.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    The thing I find interesting is that there is way more interest in what the Oppositions stance is on the subject than what the actual Governments stance and actions are. As seems to be the case on quite a few issues at the moment.

We're in some sort of extended lame duck government time.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,528
    Meh, with this issue is one where Starmer can show how different he is to Corbyn without much fear of doing anything which will be controversial in the mainstream media.
  • rick_chasey

It's Burnley FFS, do they not have more important things to worry about?

Hell, this Gaza-Israel problem isn't even the most murderous war going on at the moment FFS, nor is it genocide, despite the claims, when that is literally happening in a country just as far away from the UK.
  • rick_chasey
    The hypocrisy of people making out they're only interested in the humanitarian aspect to have a go at Israel or Palestine when they don't apply it to other conflicts around the world really f*cks me off.

Let's be real, it's a vehicle for their antisemitism/islamophobia, and that's 90% of the grief we're hearing at the moment.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589

Getting rid of the nutters *before* you get in parliament would be an improvement on this current lot. Else you run the risk, as Cameron did, for letting them get in charge.

The ones reigning are local councillors they're already in power in their little fiefdom.

That said, Labour will never be free of leftie nut jobs: which other party would a leftie nut job join if they wanted some chance of being in power?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    Stevo_666 said:

Getting rid of the nutters *before* you get in parliament would be an improvement on this current lot. Else you run the risk, as Cameron did, for letting them get in charge.

The ones reigning are local councillors they're already in power in their little fiefdom.

That said, Labour will never be free of leftie nut jobs: which other party would a leftie nut job join if they wanted some chance of being in power?
    Pretty sure Lee Anderson joined the Conservative Party.😉

Or there's the SDP, SWP, SLP, the actual Communist Party... I could go on.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666 said:

What criteria are we looking for?
    Record high levels of taxation
    Record high levels of borrowing
    Belief in the State over the market economy

If they could look past the colour of the rosette they would be able to see the perfect Party for them
  • rick_chasey
    Labour shadow chancellor is all for a more interfering state in markets, FYI. Not that this one isn't, granted.
  • The hypocrisy of people making out they're only interested in the humanitarian aspect to have a go at Israel or Palestine when they don't apply it to other conflicts around the world really f*cks me off.

Let's be real, it's a vehicle for their antisemitism/islamophobia, and that's 90% of the grief we're hearing at the moment.

I mentioned Ukraine terror bombing Russian civilians and got told it was different
  • rick_chasey

The hypocrisy of people making out they're only interested in the humanitarian aspect to have a go at Israel or Palestine when they don't apply it to other conflicts around the world really f*cks me off.

I mentioned Ukraine terror bombing Russian civilians and got told it was different
    What bombing was that? I didn't even know Russian civilians were even casualties in this war?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think you missed the bit about if they wanted some chance of being in power ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think you missed the bit about if they wanted some chance of being in power ;)
    I think you carefully edited out the embarrassing one 😁.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

It's Burnley FFS, do they not have more important things to worry about?

Hell, this Gaza-Israel problem isn't even the most murderous war going on at the moment FFS, nor is it genocide, despite the claims, when that is literally happening in a country just as far away from the UK.
    You realise that different people feel strongly about different things? For example, based on news coverage it seems that many people feel strongly about anything that happens in the US; however, I don't.
  • rjsterry

What bombing was that? I didn't even know Russian civilians were even casualties in this war?
    There was an up market gated community in Moscow that was targeted. I think the assertion at the time was that there were specific people with senior roles that were targeted. There was also the off duty senior officer who was assassinated.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think you carefully edited out the embarrassing one 😁.
    I don't think the Lib Dems were on your list in the first place? :smile:
  • Stevo_666

Even if you hate Piers Morgan, this is painfully hilarious.

Unsurprising but rather amusing.
  • Stevo_666
    All is not well in leftie la-la land. As expected, big splits are emerging over Israel and Gaza.
    https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-gaza-ceasefire-vote-resignations-starmer-b2447823.html
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Stevo_666 said:

All is not well in leftie la-la land>

Is this the example of bile you were asking for in the Tory thread?

• Stevo_666 said:

All is not well in leftie la-la land. As expected, big splits are emerging over Israel and Gaza.
    https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-gaza-ceasefire-vote-resignations-starmer-b2447823.html

I think Starmer’s shown reasonable leadership on this.

I think now is the time for him to call for a ceasefire. Every other leader in the West will be doing it by the end of next week anyway.
  • Should have been a free vote.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509

Stevo_666 said:

I think now is the time for him to call for a ceasefire. Every other leader in the West will be doing it by the end of next week anyway.

I think he's now overcompensating for the Corbyn era, being afraid of the consequence of criticising Israel's actions.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2023

Stevo_666 said:

All is not well in leftie la-la land>

Is this the example of bile you were asking for in the Tory thread?

Nope. Sounds like you're easily offended by a turn of speech about a mythical place. Nothing like the personal attacks on Tory MPs from those who think they know better.
  • Stevo_666 said:

I think he's now overcompensating for the Corbyn era, being afraid of the consequence of criticising Israel's actions.
    Of course
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954

Stevo_666 said:

It's a matter of when, not if. They've gone too far (as I feared from day 1) and it's plain to see but the juggernaut of sympathy takes time to turn.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Starmer is really underwhelming. I know there is little choice at the moment. Lib Dems really should be gaining.