Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,579

Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

Isn't the issue mainly that they fail to be able to understand the difference between the state of Israel and all Jews? From the little bit of the article I've seen it was anti-Israeli i.e. (without apparent foundation) blaming the tactic that killed a black man in the US on the Israeli military. I think people should be able to criticise Israel without being deemed anti-Semitic but Momentum and the like seem incapable of differentiating between the two. I'm sure Starmer will hold his ground and hopefully Momentum will be sent back to the loony fringes where they belong. All we now need is the Tories to start moving back to the centre ground as well rather than continuing their move to the right (albeit with some leftie economic policies!).

they hate bankers and they think the Jews run banking, they especially hate the Rothschilds as they seen a running the international banking conspiracy.

Once you are attuned to their language their anti-semitic digs leap out at you.

One example is Corbyn's mural which to the average person was meaningless because they did not understand the symbolism it contained.

Post Colstion various lefties copied and pasted an article about how the UK Govt compensated slave owners (not the slaves) when it was abolished. Buried in the middle was a mention that the UK Govt borrowed the money from The Rothschilds. When have you even seen the source of Govt funding mentioned? it's only purpose is to link the Jews to slavery.

There is some other censored about the Rothschilds making money from Waterloo but I can never be bothered to remember it.

I am not talking about crappy pamphlets this is mainstream Guardian.
    What about the right wing and George Soros?

Or both sides and Goldman Sachs.

I find the goldman thing particularly remarkable. They will hire anyone from anywhere - they genuinely could not give two sh!ts where you're from.

Might be different around the board table in NYC, but certainly at the sub $5m p/a comp level no sh!ts are given.
    You don't find that massive overconfidence is a prerequisite?
    It's really boring but they hire really good people. (well, they used to. They struggle to get the best of the best as they now go to the FANG firms now, and that is beginning to show).

They're probably worse than most for putting GS first and client second. But IBs are just a collection of mini, business lines so it very much varies from team to team.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Jeremy.89 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

Isn't the issue mainly that they fail to be able to understand the difference between the state of Israel and all Jews? From the little bit of the article I've seen it was anti-Israeli i.e. (without apparent foundation) blaming the tactic that killed a black man in the US on the Israeli military. I think people should be able to criticise Israel without being deemed anti-Semitic but Momentum and the like seem incapable of differentiating between the two. I'm sure Starmer will hold his ground and hopefully Momentum will be sent back to the loony fringes where they belong. All we now need is the Tories to start moving back to the centre ground as well rather than continuing their move to the right (albeit with some leftie economic policies!).

they hate bankers and they think the Jews run banking, they especially hate the Rothschilds as they seen a running the international banking conspiracy.

Once you are attuned to their language their anti-semitic digs leap out at you.

One example is Corbyn's mural which to the average person was meaningless because they did not understand the symbolism it contained.

Post Colstion various lefties copied and pasted an article about how the UK Govt compensated slave owners (not the slaves) when it was abolished. Buried in the middle was a mention that the UK Govt borrowed the money from The Rothschilds. When have you even seen the source of Govt funding mentioned? it's only purpose is to link the Jews to slavery.

There is some other censored about the Rothschilds making money from Waterloo but I can never be bothered to remember it.

I am not talking about crappy pamphlets this is mainstream Guardian.
    What about the right wing and George Soros?

Or both sides and Goldman Sachs.

could you rewrite that? maybe add a few words because for the life of me I don't understand the relevance
    So my understanding of your point is that anti semitism is a particular problem amongst the left wing.

My post is that these tropes could be argued to exist on both sides. The one that would jump out at me in particular is the attitude amongst vocal trump (and some brexit) supporters towards George Soros. Which I admit, is whataboutism apologies for that.

I guess my point is that right wing xenophobia is well documented whereas left wing anti-semitism is more likely to be overlooked. The rise of Momentum lifted the lid.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    edited June 2020

rjsterry said:

Feels a bit old-skool sacking a someone in politics.

But it was not for corruption, lying, incompetence or breaking the rules,

As a general rule left hate jews, the more left you are the more you hate them. Seems a bit unfair to be sanctioned by the Labour Party for this.

Maybe Starmer and Boris could swap parties.
    This is up there with Coopster's conspiracy theories. Excellent work.
    You don’t agree that the left has a problem with Jews?
    I don't think there is such a thing as 'the left'. There was certainly an antisemitism problem in parts of the Labour Party, but it's not exclusive to the party or even that part of the political spectrum.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,733
    Re RLB I can't for the life of me understand why someone who is shadow education (?) minister feels the need to tweet about the politics of other countries except perhaps in the most uncontroversial way.

I don't really think what she retweeted is anti Semitic unless she was knowingly doing it to have a dig but surely you put your party prospects or even your own career ahead of being free to tweet stuff that you must know will be interpreted in a negative way.

Re the left and Palestine /Israel - it's a legitimate point of view but not something a domestic political party should be fracturing over.

Not a fan of her anyway so no loss.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,474

Re RLB I can't for the life of me understand why someone who is shadow education (?) minister feels the need to tweet about the politics of other countries except perhaps in the most uncontroversial way.

I don't really think what she retweeted is anti Semitic unless she was knowingly doing it to have a dig but surely you put your party prospects or even your own career ahead of being free to tweet stuff that you must know will be interpreted in a negative way.

Re the left and Palestine /Israel - it's a legitimate point of view but not something a domestic political party should be fracturing over.

What finished her off was she was asked to remove her Tweet and didn't. It's weird that after she got sacked she tried to defend it by saying she wasn't approving everything in the article when she'd been given a chance to make that point.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    It is the pointlessness of the whole saga. Does she think she changes anything. Too much time being a protest group does not lead to good governence.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,733
    Pross said:

What finished her off was she was asked to remove her Tweet and didn't. It's weird that after she got sacked she tried to defend it by saying she wasn't approving everything in the article when she'd been given a chance to make that point.
    Absolutely agree, she was given a way out and turned it down.

It's just bizarre , is this a bridge to die on ? Confirms my thoughts that we are best shot of her but I worry that her type is the way the left is moving .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

It's just bizarre , is this a bridge to die on ? Confirms my thoughts that we are best shot of her but I worry that her type is the way the left is moving .
    A lot of left-wing flouncing out of Labour going on on Twitter about this. So probably better for the long term prospects of the party. You can see why Momentum were urging people to stay as they will have far less influence from outside.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,455
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

A lot of left-wing flouncing out of Labour going on on Twitter about this. So probably better for the long term prospects of the party. You can see why Momentum were urging people to stay as they will have far less influence from outside.
    Most parasites don't want to leave their host.

Although the prospect of a spot of civil war and a Labour splinter is quite appealing :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Although the prospect of a spot of civil war and a Labour splinter is quite appealing :smile:

Who's your next candidate for the extreme left to try to take over the party?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    I think Steveo would like a Labour split, so a hard leftie to split off from SS
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

From the look of it, less a civil war and more a massive strop from the kind of people who hate Tony Blair more than the Tories. No great loss to anyone.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Dunno - would a proper split make the Tories more or less likely to stay in power? That's Stevo's main objective... if the loony left decide they can't cohabit with Starmer and go off to do their own Purity Party, there's the distinct possibility that a less divided and more pragmatic Labour Party might challenge the Tories. Stevo was correct - incompetent Corbyn, and Momentum, frightened off too many voters.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,222
    When I read the Maxine Peake article, it was how she was saying that those who were natural Labour supporters who couldn't vote for Corbyn might as well have voted Tory that I noticed. She didn't seem to realise that was a problem with Corbyn rather than the voters.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Who's your next candidate for the extreme left to try to take over the party?
    I thought that Big Len already runs it?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Dunno - would a proper split make the Tories more or less likely to stay in power? That's Stevo's main objective... if the loony left decide they can't cohabit with Starmer and go off to do their own Purity Party, there's the distinct possibility that a less divided and more pragmatic Labour Party might challenge the Tories. Stevo was correct - incompetent Corbyn, and Momentum, frightened off too many voters.
    Yep :) It worked well for quite a while.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    If this is politics working well I'd hate to see it working badly.
  • Stevo_666
    edited June 2020
    Jeremy.89 said:

If the definition of working well is keeping Labour out of power... :)
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Without Corbyn do you think we would have a “True Blue” Tory Govt ?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

The definition of "working well" is a competent Government whose policies are scrutinised by a competent opposition. It's just as well you put an "if" in your reply.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Without Corbyn do you think we would have a “True Blue” Tory Govt ?
    Not necessarily.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:
    Have to agree, as Starmer isn't in Number 10 and Labour haven't been there for a decade :)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo, you'll be glad to know that there still seem to be several people out there who would rather the Tories stayed in power, while the Labour Party seeks true socialism, than give Starmer the chance to sneak some Labour ideas in with any sort of compromise of anything other than true socialism. The evidence is in my Facebook feed...
  • Stevo_666

Stevo, you'll be glad to know that there still seem to be several people out there who would rather the Tories stayed in power, while the Labour Party seeks true socialism, than give Starmer the chance to sneak some Labour ideas in with any sort of compromise of anything other than true socialism. The evidence is in my Facebook feed...

The quest for the Holy Grail continues, although if they didn't manage to find it in the 4-5 years that Corbyn was running the show, I guess they never will. Happy days.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,579
    Anecdotal story. In laws who have voted Tory their entire lives, absolutely spitting blood about how bad the govt has handled this.

Furious. Was actually quite amusing just occasionally feeding them another name from the cabinet to watch them kick off all over again.

“Embarrassed to have voted for such a fool. He’s a clown”

• briantrumpet

Anecdotal story. In laws who have voted Tory their entire lives, absolutely spitting blood about how bad the govt has handled this.

Furious. Was actually quite amusing just occasionally feeding them another name from the cabinet to watch them kick off all over again.

In the spirit of evenhandedness, I should accuse you of whataboutery too. That doesn't diminish the validity of your point, but I'm not sure what it's got to do with the Labour Party.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

The quest for the Holy Grail continues, although if they didn't manage to find it in the 4-5 years that Corbyn was running the show, I guess they never will. Happy days.

Quite so, but you'll not be so happy that Starmer is open to filthy compromise, and has a brain. Your pick of Corbyn was good, in that not only was he too far left to win a majority, he was also deeply incompetent.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Quite so, but you'll not be so happy that Starmer is open to filthy compromise, and has a brain. Your pick of Corbyn was good, in that not only was he too far left to win a majority, he was also deeply incompetent.
    True, Starmer is not bad so far and clearly better than Corbyn, but that was a low bar. Although the stuff we see like PMQs you would expect Starmer to do well as he's a QC and cross examination tends to be one of their strong points. How he fares in uniting a deeply divided party remains to be seen.
  • surrey_commuter

What do they feel they have learned about him that they did not know before?