Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    Starmer was pretty good today. "The figures that I gave, that the Prime Minister says are inadvertently misleading, are from the slide at his press conference yesterday".

He's actually asking good questions. It's a welcome change.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

Starmer was pretty good today. "The figures that I gave, that the Prime Minister says are inadvertently misleading, are from the slide at his press conference yesterday".

It reminds me of Hague vs Blair. Winning in the commons is all well and good, but you also need to win on Richard and Judy.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    I think Starmer might take Johnson at that, too. Mind you, given that Johnson got owned by a 23 year old footballer, is that such an achievement? No wonder Hunt and Sunak are keeping their powder dry.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497

He should be good at that sort of thing, he's a QC. The problem for him is the party he is leading.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    What about the current regime are you pleased with, Stevo? And stick to what they have done, not what they are not.
  • Stevo_666

What about the current regime are you pleased with, Stevo? And stick to what they have done, not what they are not.

Wrong thread Rick - this is a leftie bashing thread (and I'm the OP remember) - so I'm not going to let you derail it ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    The only thing I can think of to be pleased with is that Corbyn isn't in charge during this pandemic. McDonnell might have been ok as a giveaway chancellor, and Diane Abbott wouldn't have been worse than the current home sec.
  • The only thing I can think of to be pleased with is that Corbyn isn't in charge during this pandemic. McDonnell might have been ok as a giveaway chancellor, and Diane Abbott wouldn't have been worse than the current home sec.

Looks like C19 causes mental damage...
  • kingstongraham

The only thing I can think of to be pleased with is that Corbyn isn't in charge during this pandemic. McDonnell might have been ok as a giveaway chancellor, and Diane Abbott wouldn't have been worse than the current home sec.

Looks like C19 causes mental damage...
    I've analysed the data and apparently there's three hundred thousand, thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand people who would be better than Priti Patel.
  • Stevo_666
    Meanwhile in Leftie la-la land, a 'leopeards and spots' event...
    https://cityam.com/rebecca-long-bailey-sacked-from-shadow-cabinet-over-antisemitic-tweet/

To think that she was once seen as the front runner for the Labour leadership....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I suppose at least they now have a leader who understands the problem and got rid of her straightaway unlike his dithering predecessor.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

I suppose at least they now have a leader who understands the problem and got rid of her straightaway unlike his dithering predecessor.

Fair play to Starmer for doing that although if he didn't then all his pre-election (as leader) promises about dealing with anti-semitism would be straight out the window. One down, how many to go?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Fair play to Starmer for doing that although if he didn't then all his pre-election (as leader) promises about dealing with anti-semitism would be straight out the window. One down, how many to go?
    Not anti semitic according to Momentum.

https://dorseteye.com/momentum-nothing-antisemitic-in-maxine-peake-article/

RLB surely knew fine well what sort of views Maxine Peake holds, as she is no shrinking violet when it comes to expressing them is she?

As a side note, I wonder which actor's views will be an hindrance to their career, Peake's or Lawrence Fox. Roll up, roll up, place your bets. :)
  • rick_chasey
    Feels a bit old-skool sacking a someone in politics.
  • rjsterry

It's a refreshing change.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

But it was not for corruption, lying, incompetence or breaking the rules,

As a general rule left hate jews, the more left you are the more you hate them. Seems a bit unfair to be sanctioned by the Labour Party for this.

Maybe Starmer and Boris could swap parties.
  • rick_chasey

As a general rule left hate jews, the more left you are the more you hate them. Seems a bit unfair to be sanctioned by the Labour Party for this.

Err, what?
  • rjsterry

This is up there with Coopster's conspiracy theories. Excellent work.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

This is up there with Coopster's conspiracy theories. Excellent work.
    You don’t agree that the left has a problem with Jews?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited June 2020
    I’m minded of a Steelers Wheel song.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Isn't the issue mainly that they fail to be able to understand the difference between the state of Israel and all Jews? From the little bit of the article I've seen it was anti-Israeli i.e. (without apparent foundation) blaming the tactic that killed a black man in the US on the Israeli military. I think people should be able to criticise Israel without being deemed anti-Semitic but Momentum and the like seem incapable of differentiating between the two. I'm sure Starmer will hold his ground and hopefully Momentum will be sent back to the loony fringes where they belong. All we now need is the Tories to start moving back to the centre ground as well rather than continuing their move to the right (albeit with some leftie economic policies!).
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

Isn't the issue mainly that they fail to be able to understand the difference between the state of Israel and all Jews? From the little bit of the article I've seen it was anti-Israeli i.e. (without apparent foundation) blaming the tactic that killed a black man in the US on the Israeli military. I think people should be able to criticise Israel without being deemed anti-Semitic but Momentum and the like seem incapable of differentiating between the two. I'm sure Starmer will hold his ground and hopefully Momentum will be sent back to the loony fringes where they belong. All we now need is the Tories to start moving back to the centre ground as well rather than continuing their move to the right (albeit with some leftie economic policies!).

they hate bankers and they think the Jews run banking, they especially hate the Rothschilds as they seen a running the international banking conspiracy.

Once you are attuned to their language their anti-semitic digs leap out at you.

One example is Corbyn's mural which to the average person was meaningless because they did not understand the symbolism it contained.

Post Colstion various lefties copied and pasted an article about how the UK Govt compensated slave owners (not the slaves) when it was abolished. Buried in the middle was a mention that the UK Govt borrowed the money from The Rothschilds. When have you even seen the source of Govt funding mentioned? it's only purpose is to link the Jews to slavery.

There is some other crap about the Rothschilds making money from Waterloo but I can never be bothered to remember it.

I am not talking about crappy pamphlets this is mainstream Guardian.
  • Stevo_666
    Oh dear, the leftiebollockers are up in arms:
    https://theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/26/keir-starmer-faces-backlash-from-leftwing-mps-over-rebecca-long-bailey-sacking

I guess the only reason why we haven't seen much labour infighting recently is that nobody has really given much of a t0ss about Labour.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Pross said:

they hate bankers and they think the Jews run banking, they especially hate the Rothschilds as they seen a running the international banking conspiracy.

One example is Corbyn's mural which to the average person was meaningless because they did not understand the symbolism it contained.

Post Colstion various lefties copied and pasted an article about how the UK Govt compensated slave owners (not the slaves) when it was abolished. Buried in the middle was a mention that the UK Govt borrowed the money from The Rothschilds. When have you even seen the source of Govt funding mentioned? it's only purpose is to link the Jews to slavery.

There is some other censored about the Rothschilds making money from Waterloo but I can never be bothered to remember it.

What about the right wing and George Soros?

Or both sides and Goldman Sachs.

• kingstongraham
    Off topic, but have you seen what batsh1t crazy conspiracy theories Robbie Williams is willing to broadcast that he believes in?
  • rick_chasey
    Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

There is some other censored about the Rothschilds making money from Waterloo but I can never be bothered to remember it.

I find the goldman thing particularly remarkable. They will hire anyone from anywhere - they genuinely could not give two sh!ts where you're from.

Might be different around the board table in NYC, but certainly at the sub $5m p/a comp level no sh!ts are given.
  • Jeremy.89

Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

I find the goldman thing particularly remarkable. They will hire anyone from anywhere - they genuinely could not give two sh!ts where you're from.

Might be different around the board table in NYC, but certainly at the sub $5m p/a comp level no sh!ts are given.
    Genuinely think a lot of people use it as a shorthand for big investment banks that make lots of money doing something which is a bit intangible for many people. Rather than as short hand for a certain religious group running the world. But I could be wrong.

• surrey_commuter
    Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

could you rewrite that? maybe add a few words because for the life of me I don't understand the relevance
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

You don't find that massive overconfidence is a prerequisite?
  • Jeremy.89

Jeremy.89 said:

Pross said:

could you rewrite that? maybe add a few words because for the life of me I don't understand the relevance
    So my understanding of your point is that anti semitism is a particular problem amongst the left wing.

My post is that these tropes could be argued to exist on both sides. The one that would jump out at me in particular is the attitude amongst vocal trump (and some brexit) supporters towards George Soros. Which I admit, is whataboutism apologies for that.