Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,662
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What evidence is there to suggest we are already on the downward slope of the laffer curve?

A couple of examples:
    - The last HMRC survey showing that the increase of the top income tax rate to 50% by the last Labour administration yielded pretty much nothing.
    - The increase in the corporate tax revenues over the last while the CT rate has been declining.

What evidence is there to suggest that we are not?
    So point one, if it’s correct, means we are at the top. I read that the Govt revs dropped around £1bn net after moving from 50% to 45%.

On point two; it’s more complicated than than in that if overall earnings are going up more than the cut they will continue to go up. That may be because of the tax rate but correlation is not causation by any stretch. For all we know govt revenues would have been even higher had the tax rate been higher.

I would imagine we are roughly at the inflexion anyway and your arguments for tax are more driven by personal preference and political ideology than optimising govt revenues.
    Point 1: evidence? However if we take your claim at face value then the tax take stayed flat when the rate went to 50% but declined when it went to 45%. However the rate pre 2010 was 40%, so that means that a 45% rate yielded less than a 40% rate. Good case to cut to 40% then.

Point 2: All we know is that the rate went down and the take went up. That could not be accounted for by economic growth alone. Why not? It strikes me that both 1 and 2 are single data points and neither prove nor disprove anything on their own. Less incentive to mitigate tax when the rate is lower is one obvious explanation.

As for maximising government revenues, politicians have a tendency to justify their empires and make themselves popular by spending, so naturally have a tendency to want to tax more. On the contrary, while the first bit is correct, they will often go out of their way to insist that it won't cost anyone any more. "...Will be funded from existing budgets through efficiency savings" (😂) or if that isn't tenable, it will be paid by 'someone else' who happens to be whipping boy of the week. Which means that they are likely to be overtaxing taxpayers. Which is why I am in demand.
    The threshold of what constitutes 'overtaxing' is pretty subjective.
    It is subjective, but human nature being what it is and knowing what we do of politicians generally, there's a fair bit of truth in it. If the general impression was that we weren't being overtaxed, I'd probably be in a different line of work.
    I think it's just a question of if we pay Stevo 666 £X and he saves us >£X it's worth doing. If the savings are <£X then it's a waste of time. Nothing to do with feelings.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What evidence is there to suggest we are already on the downward slope of the laffer curve?

A couple of examples:
    - The last HMRC survey showing that the increase of the top income tax rate to 50% by the last Labour administration yielded pretty much nothing.
    - The increase in the corporate tax revenues over the last while the CT rate has been declining.

What evidence is there to suggest that we are not?
    So point one, if it’s correct, means we are at the top. I read that the Govt revs dropped around £1bn net after moving from 50% to 45%.

On point two; it’s more complicated than than in that if overall earnings are going up more than the cut they will continue to go up. That may be because of the tax rate but correlation is not causation by any stretch. For all we know govt revenues would have been even higher had the tax rate been higher.

I would imagine we are roughly at the inflexion anyway and your arguments for tax are more driven by personal preference and political ideology than optimising govt revenues.
    Point 1: evidence? However if we take your claim at face value then the tax take stayed flat when the rate went to 50% but declined when it went to 45%. However the rate pre 2010 was 40%, so that means that a 45% rate yielded less than a 40% rate. Good case to cut to 40% then.

Point 2: All we know is that the rate went down and the take went up. That could not be accounted for by economic growth alone. Why not? It strikes me that both 1 and 2 are single data points and neither prove nor disprove anything on their own. Less incentive to mitigate tax when the rate is lower is one obvious explanation.

As for maximising government revenues, politicians have a tendency to justify their empires and make themselves popular by spending, so naturally have a tendency to want to tax more. On the contrary, while the first bit is correct, they will often go out of their way to insist that it won't cost anyone any more. "...Will be funded from existing budgets through efficiency savings" (😂) or if that isn't tenable, it will be paid by 'someone else' who happens to be whipping boy of the week. Which means that they are likely to be overtaxing taxpayers. Which is why I am in demand.
    The threshold of what constitutes 'overtaxing' is pretty subjective.
    It is subjective, but human nature being what it is and knowing what we do of politicians generally, there's a fair bit of truth in it. If the general impression was that we weren't being overtaxed, I'd probably be in a different line of work.
    I think it's just a question of if we pay Stevo 666 £X and he saves us >£X it's worth doing. If the savings are <£X then it's a waste of time. Nothing to do with feelings. </p>
    Lower tax burden = less incentive to tax plan. So the feeling and subjectivity does come into it. See my previous comments on the reaction to Labour increasing the top income tax rate to 50%.

Also given the complexity of tax affairs of many in question, if you're already in a jurisdiction where rates are competitive compared to other countries then there is less opportunity.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Stevo_666 said:

Lower tax burden = less incentive to tax plan. So the feeling and subjectivity does come into it. See my previous comments on the reaction to Labour increasing the top income tax rate to 50%.

Also given the complexity of tax affairs of many in question, if you're already in a jurisdiction where rates are competitive compared to other countries then there is less opportunity.

This, absolutely. There is little point in raising taxes against the most wealthy as they can afford to employ people and methods to mitigate it.

Taxing the tall bit of the bell curve a little bit more is way more effective than trying punitive increases against the top end.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

This, absolutely. There is little point in raising taxes against the most wealthy as they can afford to employ people and methods to mitigate it.

Taxing the tall bit of the bell curve a little bit more is way more effective than trying punitive increases against the top end.

Was going to say something similar. For the vast majority tax isn't that complicated There are far more individuals and small businesses for whom employing a tax consultant is uneconomic regardless of how fair they perceive the tax regime to be.

I do think a lot of the fuss about Labour and tax is a bit hysterical and perception based on Corbyn and McDonnell's background rather than rational assessment. That said, their current demonisation of billionaires is just as bad as banging on about "benefit scroungers". No government should be pitting one part of the electorate against another.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Definitely agree that political parties which (deliberately or not) pitch segments of the electorate against each other aren't what we need.

• Longshot

Definitely agree that political parties which (deliberately or not) pitch segments of the electorate against each other aren't what we need.

But it is what they need. Polarising voters works in a two party system.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    longshot said:

But it is what they need. Polarising voters works in a two party system.
    Exactly! Last thing they want is a united electorate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    I'd be interest to know how many people would swap a top rate of 50% for the reinstatement of their personal allowance, child benefit and pension contributions.
  • TheBigBean
    I also don't really understand how many wealthy people are unable to see that some more tax might ultimately reduce crime. Significant chunks of wealthy London have problems with crime.
  • Longshot

I also don't really understand how many wealthy people are unable to see that some more tax might ultimately reduce crime. Significant chunks of wealthy London have problems with crime.

Hence why many of them pay for additional private security. At least they know what the money it costs is being spent on.
  • TheBigBean
    edited November 2019
    longshot said:

Hence why many of them pay for additional private security. At least they know what the money it costs is being spent on.
    Yes and no. That works in Hampstead Garden Suburb where you can have a private road or security patrols, it works less well in central London when your Aston Martin parked on the street is vandalised or you're mugged walking to the shops or someone is stabbed round the corner.
  • rjsterry
    Don't be ridiculous, wealthy people don't walk to the shops.

😉
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Don't be ridiculous, wealthy people don't walk to the shops.

😉

I was watching a guy trying to get his shopping out his Aston Martin the other day. It inspired my post on what is the point of expensive cars.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Quite stunning that accounting for inflation that pay levels in the UK are still lower than in 2008.

Growth has come from more people working.
  • Longshot

longshot said:

Yes and no. That works in Hampstead Garden Suburb where you can have a private road or security patrols, it works less well in central London when your Aston Martin parked on the street is vandalised or you're mugged walking to the shops or someone is stabbed round the corner.
    Many wealthy 'apartment blocks' and terraces in Central London have their own private security that patrols the pavement and locality outside.

If "someone is stabbed round the corner" then presumably they're some kind of ruffian or hoodlum whose dastardly and no doubt criminal activities brought it upon them.

• TheBigBean
    longshot said:

If "someone is stabbed round the corner" then presumably they're some kind of ruffian or hoodlum whose dastardly and no doubt criminal activities brought it upon them.

That's a view I sadly hear a lot. The ruffian, who is often a child, has no stake in society, and some investment of taxes might help, but I guess that is a more nuanced view.

• kingstonian

I'd be interest to know how many people would swap a top rate of 50% for the reinstatement of their personal allowance, child benefit and pension contributions.

Good question. To be honest it is so bloody complex that I don't fully know what the financial implications would be of those changes. Ultimately, I am far more interested in the overall mix of taxation and benefits (personal allowance, income tax rate, child benefit, pension, National Insurance, etc etc) than just purely the rate of income tax, but I can see why big public announcements on Income tax are what attracts the headlines.
  • TheBigBean

Good question. To be honest it is so bloody complex that I don't fully know what the financial implications would be of those changes. Ultimately, I am far more interested in the overall mix of taxation and benefits (personal allowance, income tax rate, child benefit, pension, National Insurance, etc etc) than just purely the rate of income tax, but I can see why big public announcements on Income tax are what attracts the headlines.
    Well crunching some numbers, one child is £1,076, another one is £712, loss of personal allowance is £5,000. I don't think the loss of pension can be calculated. I suppose therefore anyone on £250k or less would be better off swapping a 50% rate for their personal allowance, and £300k or less with 3 kids would swap it for a 50% rate.

• Longshot
    edited November 2019

Well crunching some numbers, one child is £1,076, another one is £712, loss of personal allowance is £5,000. I don't think the loss of pension can be calculated. I suppose therefore anyone on £250k or less would be better off swapping a 50% rate for their personal allowance, and £300k or less with 3 kids would swap it for a 50% rate.

Don't forget you don't get child allowance if either member of the household pays higher rate income tax.
  • kingstonian
    On the basis of those numbers you're right, it would be an obvious trade-off to make.

One big issue with the tax system is the salary level at which 40% kicks in, which hasn't by any stretch of the imagination kept up with wage growth. I've no issue with a 45% or 50% rate, but the point at which 25% becomes 40% should be raised IMO.

• Stevo_666

In the UK?

Depends if you count some of the Crown dependencies as the UK.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

More than that, taxing the most wealthy and larger corporates can be counterproductive as it can cause them to invest in business ventures elsewhere and so pay their taxes elsewhere - it is this set of people and companies who tend to have the choice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    edited November 2019
    Stevo_666 said:

longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

More than that, taxing the most wealthy and larger corporates can be counterproductive as it can cause them to invest in business ventures elsewhere and so pay their taxes elsewhere - it is this set of people and companies who tend to have the choice.
    I think this is overplayed and there is the rather more obvious point that there are plenty of things which are most effectively paid for by the state as you cannot trust market forces to adequately allocate resources, and the well off can literally afford to pay more than others. The money has to come from somewhere. So where is it going to come from, Stevo? There comes a point where there is no optimal solution so the solution will be political. So who do you want to have the burden? Those who have more, or those who have less?

Sounds rather obvious but to illustrate with a hypothetical example; the lifestyle of someone who has $2bn and who has $20bn is not going to be materially different at all. They both have more money than they could spend.

The person on £12,000 however, will notice £500 difference. The person on £500,000 probably won't.

• Longshot

Sounds rather obvious but to illustrate with a hypothetical example; the lifestyle of someone who has $2bn and who has $20bn is not going to be materially different at all. They both have more money than they could spend.

Now we're just back at Stevo's story about the guys in the restaurant.

• longshot said:

In that story, if I had $2bn, I'd offer to pay.
  • longshot said:

In that story, if I had $2bn, I'd offer to pay.
    but what if they beat you up because you did not get them a taxi home?
  • rjsterry

On the basis of those numbers you're right, it would be an obvious trade-off to make.

One big issue with the tax system is the salary level at which 40% kicks in, which hasn't by any stretch of the imagination kept up with wage growth. I've no issue with a 45% or 50% rate, but the point at which 25% becomes 40% should be raised IMO.

Wage growth has barely kept up with inflation over the last 10 years. If the thresholds were to raise that's just dumping more tax on the top earners and giving Joe Average the idea that they shouldn't be contributing that much.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Longshot
    Here's a thought for you on alternative taxation.

Why don't we have a basic rate of income tax plus a higher rate of income tax at the same levels as now but with the starting point for the higher rate moved further out.

Then, we implement an ego tax. It's entirely voluntary but everyone who donates has their amount published annually.
  • kingstonian
    Here's a contentious perspective - I'm convinced that the government has sufficient funds being raised through taxation today, the issue is that it isn't used effectively enough.
  • TheBigBean

Here's a contentious perspective - I'm convinced that the government has sufficient funds being raised through taxation today, the issue is that it isn't used effectively enough.

To do what?