Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    i ll ask for the 3rd time... what do you think about May and her call for x party support from Labour? you know, that extreme left wing party which she tried to destroy by calling a snap GE... you really couldnt make this stuff up....
    Don't care too much - per the BBC new article she only asked for their ideas rather than constant criticism. Sounds a bit like the sort of thing some people on the BREXiT thread should do :wink:

how the mighty fall !

though i feel sure that you really do care.... its the job of the opposition to oppose, not to come up with policy ideas for the Government, unless in coalition.

she can read the Labour manifesto as well as she could have a few months ago lol!

Much like the original purpose of this thread, we ve gone from the sublime to the ridiculous!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    i ll ask for the 3rd time... what do you think about May and her call for x party support from Labour? you know, that extreme left wing party which she tried to destroy by calling a snap GE... you really couldnt make this stuff up....
    Don't care too much - per the BBC new article she only asked for their ideas rather than constant criticism. Sounds a bit like the sort of thing some people on the BREXiT thread should do :wink:

how the mighty fall !

though i feel sure that you really do care.... its the job of the opposition to oppose, not to come up with policy ideas for the Government, unless in coalition.

she can read the Labour manifesto as well as she could have a few months ago lol!

Much like the original purpose of this thread, we ve gone from the sublime to the ridiculous!
    No, we started with the ridiculous - read my first post on this thread :wink:

How the mighty go from being leftie losers to...leftie losers. Weren't in power then and still not in power now. Keep it up JC...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608

How the mighty go from being leftie losers to...leftie losers. Weren't in power then and still not in power now. Keep it up JC...

I am not sure what I feel most sorry for: you, or the current state of parliament.
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

how the mighty fall !

you didnt start this thread as some sort of light hearted gag, it has back fired on you and many others who thought that a hard left winger like JC would finish the party, you wanted a perpetual Tory Gov and i m sure if i had the time i could find the posts.....

I ve been critical of JC but he has risen to the occasion, equally i m very surprised at Mays incompetence, maybe you should try being a little more critical yourself? you d find it refreshing lol!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,866
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Isn't being invited to form an alliance by the government maybe just a little step closer to having some power than they would otherwise have been?

We shall see what she asks for later.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I honestly don't know what the phrase she used means. I'm only 14 years younger than her.

https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/hottrends#pn=p9

Quite a lot of people googling it yesterday.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mamba80
    I honestly don't know what the phrase she used means. I'm only 14 years younger than her.

https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/hottrends#pn=p9

Quite a lot of people googling it yesterday.

Its a figure of speech and i think its a complete over reaction, the Robinsons Jam symbol, Ennie Meenie Minnie Moo etc People need to be concerned about what really matters.

you can lie in a referendum that completely changes the direction of the country, causing divide and anger but say "the N * in the woodpile" and its like you ve just slaughtered a new born.

Its Political Correctness gone mad.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:

you didnt start this thread as some sort of light hearted gag
    Oh yes I did :) Your mind reading capabilities are not as good as you think.

It was originally a bit of a wind up and look which humourless types took the bait rather quickly :wink: I thought it might get to 5 pages. Only after that did it evolve into a long running left vs right handbag swinging contest. And here we are now, with Labour still looking for that elusive sniff of power.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    And here we are now, with Labour still looking for that elusive sniff of power.

"Theresa May has officially called on Labour for their support in delivering Brexit and other legislation following the loss of her parliamentary majority" - Daily Telegraph
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    :mrgreen:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

"Theresa May has officially called on Labour for their support in delivering Brexit and other legislation following the loss of her parliamentary majority" - Daily Telegraph

Just looking to apportion some of the blame for when it turns out to be bad.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I suppose it's the closest Labour are going to get. Just a little sniff but not the real thing :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For those who feel the regulation around things like minimum wage and general employee rights, worth watching this short video.

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status ... 7725263873
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,209
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I suppose it's the closest Labour are going to get. Just a little sniff but not the real thing :wink:
    For all the blather and bragging, two of the few things the government has put into motion - availability of NHS abortion services to Northern Ireland and an inquest into blood contamination - were actually adopted from proposals by Labour MPs. Sure, Labour aren't in power, but I'm not sure you could say the Conservatives are fully in power either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Isn't being invited to form an alliance by the government maybe just a little step closer to having some power than they would otherwise have been?

We shall see what she asks for later.

What, you mean the sort of thing a mature, intelligent country eg like Germany would do? You know, end up with a coalition supporting the supposed views of 82% or so of the electorate? Naaah, it will never happen. Minorities are much more representative. Look at how we all want a hard Brexit now. TM told us we did.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But Corbyn will turn his back. Because as we all know, getting none of what you want is much preferable to compromising and only getting some of what you want.

He's an idiot. He could look like he is holding the levers of power if he played it right, and still make another election more likely.
  • rick_chasey
    From Private Eye

DEkeLKsWAAAWs_b.jpg:large
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But Corbyn will turn his back. Because as we all know, getting none of what you want is much preferable to compromising and only getting some of what you want.

He's an idiot. He could look like he is holding the levers of power if he played it right, and still make another election more likely.

Its not the oppositions job to support the Government UNLESS the Tories wish to offer a more formal agreement of a coalition or power share, which personally i think would be a good thing.

Do you honestly think that May would actually implement a Labour policy ? say drop the public sector pay cap, Nationalise the Railways or scrap tuition fees? in return for a few Labour votes.....

Its a ruse to apportion blame to the Labour leadership if or rather when, Brexit chickens come home to roost, of course she ll try and blame Labour regardless though.
  • kingstongraham
    mamba80 wrote:

Its not the oppositions job to support the Government UNLESS the Tories wish to offer a more formal agreement of a coalition or power share, which personally i think would be a good thing.

Do you honestly think that May would actually implement a Labour policy ? say drop the public sector pay cap, Nationalise the Railways or scrap tuition fees? in return for a few Labour votes.....

Its a ruse to apportion blame to the Labour leadership if or rather when, Brexit chickens come home to roost, of course she ll try and blame Labour regardless though.

Of course it is, but what looks more like a party ready for power than a party influencing which of the government policies get enacted, and walking in and out of meetings in Downing Street? Then when you aren't getting what you want, you walk out in a way that makes the other side look unreasonable/incompetent. That should not be a problem with May's government.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

you didnt start this thread as some sort of light hearted gag
    Oh yes I did :) Your mind reading capabilities are not as good as you think.

It was originally a bit of a wind up and look which humourless types took the bait rather quickly :wink: I thought it might get to 5 pages. Only after that did it evolve into a long running left vs right handbag swinging contest. And here we are now, with Labour still looking for that elusive sniff of power.
    You should change your name to Trump666... it's all fake news, corbyn has no more power than when i started this thread.. :wink: )
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Stevo_666
    Interesting and backs up what I have said before about the folly of taxing high earners too much:-
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-daily-telegraph/20170714/282308205146966

Also interesting that the source is the OBR.

Your thoughts, lefties? :)
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Interesting and backs up what I have said before about the folly of taxing high earners too much:-

the report is high lighting the dangers that Tory policy, since 2010, has done already and then goes on to say that Brexit (another tory policy) is going to lead more uncertainty as eu countries wooo UK businesses and hi earners.... so perhaps you should direct your ire to the Tories and their tax/brexit policies? instead of banging on about a party that in all likelihood wont be in pwr until 2022....

as i ve said to you before, its the Tories who are in power and its the tories who are fcuking up this countries economy, the side show, now the election is done and dusted is Labour but i guess you wish to divert from this shambolic Gov.
  • Stevo_666
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

the report is high lighting the dangers that Tory policy, since 2010, has done already and then goes on to say that Brexit (another tory policy) is going to lead more uncertainty as eu countries wooo UK businesses and hi earners.... so perhaps you should direct your ire to the Tories and their tax/brexit policies? instead of banging on about a party that in all likelihood wont be in pwr until 2022....

as i ve said to you before, its the Tories who are in power and its the tories who are fcuking up this countries economy, the side show, now the election is done and dusted is Labour but i guess you wish to divert from this shambolic Gov.
    No, it warns against overburdening high earners.

Are you saying Labour would not have increased taxes on high earners if they had been in power since 2010 :lol: . Remember, the last act of the outgoing Labour govt was to raise the top rate of income tax to 50% in a classic display of 'scorched earth' policy.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    I see it as a criticism of the Tories for narrowing the tax base and becoming over reliant on the richest part of society. I agree with their thoughts on stamp duty and personally think there should be no lower threshold with a minimum rate of 1%.
  • rick_chasey
    "Overburdened high earners"

Hah.

Good one.
  • mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Are you saying Labour would not have increased taxes on high earners if they had been in power since 2010 :lol: . Remember, the last act of the outgoing Labour govt was to raise the top rate of income tax to 50% in a classic display of 'scorched earth' policy.

Stevo, the article is about policies already enacted by the Torie, higher taxes and Brexit, which (if it goes ahead) will lead to even higher taxes, eco slow down, a huge increse in civil servants and gov dept spending.

re Labour, raised higher rate to 50%, but as they would nt have had the eu vote then taxes wouldnt have gone up as much and as you point out, its the Tories who cut it back again but then raised other taxes, hitting these poor folk harder still !! so an even harsher scorched earth policy... :lol:

brexit is the biggest eco threat to this country, as a senior acc, who voted to remain, i'm surprised you cannot see that.

the top 1% have made back all the ground lost since the GFC, the remaining 99% have not, lower earnings have seen income fall in real terms.
    the point here though is that the tories are in power, your attitude is a bit like complaining its raining because YOU didnt bring an umbrella.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It does, with specific criticism of that well known leftie David Cameron ;)

The critique of concentrating the tax base is fair. Given Hammond's obvious reluctance to reduce overall receipts that means tax rises for the rest of us. Electorally, that is likely to do for what little remaining power May has, so ironically the situation might increase the chances of a Labour government
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You should think before you post this criticism of the Tories taxation policies David Cameron :lol:

As said, Brexit and even the leavers admit this, will lead to some sort of economic pain, so lower growth, to keep public spending in line with public demands, will mean higher taxation.
  • Stevo_666
    Nobody said the Tory policy here has been perfect but that's not the exam question is it?

So far we've had a bit of deflection onto past policy and a bit of politics of envy toward the higher income brackets but nobody has properly addressed the core issue in the link, namely the economic damage that could result from overburdening high earners going forward. Given there is a lot of discussion given to the economic downsides of Brexit in the other thread, I would have thought some people should see this as as a relevant economic consideration for the UK

No wonder some people are struggling if they can't even answer the question set :wink:
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Nobody said the Tory policy here has been perfect but that's not the exam question is it?

So far we've had a bit of deflection onto past policy and a bit of politics of envy toward the higher income brackets but nobody has properly addressed the core issue in the link, namely the economic damage that could result from overburdening high earners going forward. Given there is a lot of discussion given to the economic downsides of Brexit in the other thread, I would have thought some people should see this as as a relevant economic consideration for the UK

No wonder some people are struggling if they can't even answer the question set :wink:
    Pretty sure I said the criticism of concentrating the tax base on higher earners was a fair comment, but then you like a bit of deflection yourself - "ooh, think how much worse it would be under Corbyn" ;). I don't think reinforcing the idea that tax is something other people pay is healthy. The other problem with raising the tax free allowance is that it's not actually helping those on the lowest earnings.

What do you think Hammond's options are given the growing resentment of austerity and increasing health and social care, and education costs?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mamba80
    Stevo 666 wrote:

...the article is about the damage higher tax has (under the tories) and could cause post Brexit, which is a Tory policy!

Labour taxation policy doesn't seem to be so very different from the Tories, who are unlikely to cut CT and might well find themselves re-introducing a 50% rate, if only to try and pay for all those NI spending promises lol! or will they just put a heap of lesser known taxes to rise a similar amount? as the article points out too.