Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yes, things looking sh!tter by the day for LDs.
    Even I thought that they would pick up more support than they have done from their anti-Brexit stance.

I was quite unhappy with the Farron appointment.

I was also quite unhappy with the leftwards lurch; Clegg's position on the spectrum was more popular, and would be a sharper antidote to the retro politics of the moment ('70s labour, '50s Tories).

ignoring the national polls how are they looking in the 50 odd seats that really matter to them?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Even I thought that they would pick up more support than they have done from their anti-Brexit stance.

I was also quite unhappy with the leftwards lurch; Clegg's position on the spectrum was more popular, and would be a sharper antidote to the retro politics of the moment ('70s labour, '50s Tories).

ignoring the national polls how are they looking in the 50 odd seats that really matter to them?

Well that's it really, not great.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well that's it really, not great.

hmmm -my ideal would be an 80 seat majority for TM so was counting on your lot winning seats
  • rick_chasey
    My biggest frustration is the tautology of 'well they won't get in so why vote for them - might as well vote for the winner', as if they're glory seeking football fans.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,845
    My biggest frustration is the tautology of 'well they won't get in so why vote for them - might as well vote for the winner', as if they're glory seeking football fans.
    Depends how you look at voting - i.e. vote for what you believe vs pragmatism. Can't say I've ever had that dilemma myself though.

This article is relevant to the Lib Dems' current predicament in the polls and specifically related to their Brexit stance (as well as their lack of 'brand recognition'):-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39969275
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter

There are many similarities with football. I am amazed how tribal people are, seemingly unable to justify their chosen parties position without taking a pop at the opposition. I get that politicians do it to duck a question but why do it in real life.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Depends how you look at voting - i.e. vote for what you believe vs pragmatism. Can't say I've ever had that dilemma myself though.

This article is relevant to the Lib Dems' current predicament in the polls and specifically related to their Brexit stance (as well as their lack of 'brand recognition'):-

Well it's only pragmatic if everyone follows the tautology of only voting for winners.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well it's only pragmatic if everyone follows the tautology of only voting for winners.

can somebody explain why it is pragmatic to vote for the likely winners
  • rick_chasey
    Agreed, I take it back.
  • Stevo_666
    Agreed, I take it back.
    I have no issue with you voting for a bunch of losers :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,208
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Agreed, I take it back.
    Meh. I can only vote in my constituency for my MP. Coincidentally he's won his seat precisely the same number of times as Theresa May.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Agreed, I take it back.
    Meh. I can only vote in my constituency for my MP. Coincidentally he's won his seat precisely the same number of times as Theresa May.
    True, but I'm thinking about the likely national result next month given that you lot are currently on 9%.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Agreed, I take it back.
    True, but I'm thinking about the likely national result next month given that you lot are currently on 9%.
    My expectations have been managed if that's what you mean.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    If he wins, will you say sorry?
  • rjsterry
    edited May 2017
    If who wins, will who say sorry?

Edit: Oh, him. Well to really do for Labour Stevo would actually want the result to be quite close, so that Corbyn would definitely stay on as leader. Perhaps you should help with canvassing in a couple of matginals, Stevo :) I mean you wouldn't want him to lose really badly and have to stand down, and the way things are going, TM might only last until 2022. It's a fine balance.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    If he wins, will you say sorry?
    We'll all be sorry if he wins.

Squadron of pigs on standby...
  • Stevo_666
    You have to wonder about the intelligence of some Corbyn supporters:

_95903100_9fe29285-76aa-4165-a1ac-e0c3c17e43a9.jpg

Not sure what they think Fernando Tor(r)es is going to do to the NHS? I'm sure he's got private medical cover :D
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Your vindictive obsession has made the 'Cake Stop' forum less than what it used to be.
  • Stevo_666
    Alain Quay wrote:
    Your vindictive obsession has made the 'Cake Stop' forum less than what it used to be.
    At least I can spell, which is more than you can say for some Corbyn supporters.

Lighten up, this thread was started with tongue in cheek. And your chances of a Corbyn govt are very low - good reason to be cheerful :wink:
  • kingstongraham
    Is there an issue with your or my eyesight? I can see an I between the TOR and the ES.
  • rjsterry
    Is there an issue with your or my eyesight? I can see an I between the TOR and the ES.
    Ouch. Something about Specsavers.

Mind you, I don't approve of the spelling of vandalise with a Z.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry wrote:

Agreed. I also don't think that the way of getting the message across is "DON'T LET TORIESVANDALIZE OUR NHS"
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Hah! That's what I thought. The placard holder wanted to vandalize the NHS. You only have a short time to read these placards so simple and clear message please. "Vandalize the NHS" is a clear message and one I am willing to take as Corbyn's message if you insist.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    Alain Quay wrote:

I would call it doing his bit for the greater good of the country.

I know for sure he is not the only one doing it :)
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:

Two spelling mistakes in 6 words. Must be a staunch Corbyn supporter. Maybe she also costs up his election promises?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Two spelling mistakes in 6 words. Must be a staunch Corbyn supporter. Maybe she also costs up his election promises?

More concerned over her choice of clothing, who on earth mixes Blue and Peach?

Having said that, i reckon she has remembered what she has written.... un-like some strong and stable torres PM's i could mention :lol:
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

There is an I between the TOR and the ES, Stevo, and vandalize is more of a style guide choice. With such rich and pickings, you can do better than two spelling mistakes that aren't spelling mistakes. ;)

Interestingly, if you start typing the word Tories into Google, the first auto-complete suggestion is dementia tax. Oops.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    corbyn.jpg

Definitely an I.

Why am I doing this?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    local-elections-929567.jpg

Dunno, this one's pretty clear too.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rjsterry
    We need help.
    Pinnacle Monzonite