Critérium du Dauphiné ***spoilers***

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Spot the anti Sky brigade.
  • joelsim
    I enjoyed how on the live coverage Holy David said straight away when Valvderde blew, even though it was only on a screen for a second.

Brian did exactly the same

Kirby won't have.

He'd be talking about some rider who wasn't even in the race.

He would. He'd be trying to promote women's racing, or chuckling, or telling a little tale, or getting excited, or skilfully commentating on several hours' worth of procession and keeping people watching intently.
  • joelsim
    Press conference no-show = Fine of 200CHF for Froome and no prize money to share with the team after today's stage win.
    A lot of the journalists on twitter were irate that they had to get out of their chairs and leave the buffet to walk to the team bus.

If it wasn't for the public, Chris Froome wouldn't be a millionaire.

So he can turn up to the press conference.

The public watch television. They don't read reports by the likes of Julien Pretot and Neal Rogers - two who were moaning. When was the last time you read a race report?

In sports journalism the traditional match reporting and quote collecting is dead. The TV interviewer gets the quotes. If they want anything more then they know where the bus is. The press conferences are anachronisms.

Print media made cycling as a sport and to this day largely owns it. But there is now a schism between its entitlement and its relevance.

The sport's sponsors generally want as many eyeballs as possible on their names. Quotes from the race leader are the customary pretext for post-stage exposure. It's an uncharacteristc dickish move to avoid these obligations.

He isn't the race leader. Lady Garden is.
  • joelsim
    Happy days. My fingers are crossed very hard.

https://twitter.com/mtyeheadphones/status/609816979856297984
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    The sport's sponsors generally want as many eyeballs as possible on their names. Quotes from the race leader are the customary pretext for post-stage exposure. It's an uncharacteristc dickish move to avoid these obligations.
    In Froome's case, I think he could more than compensate for never attending another press conference by simply adding some advertising to the shamefully unused area on top of his helmet - with his riding style you see more of it than you do of his face when there's a camera in front of him, it's begging for some sponsor action :D
  • joelsim
    In Froome's case, I think he could more than compensate for never attending another press conference by simply adding some advertising to the shamefully unused area on top of his helmet - with his riding style you see more of it than you do of his face when there's a camera in front of him, it's begging for some sponsor action :D

Lol.

He is one of those riders who always looks like he is on the limit from minute 1.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Didn't realise it was Le Bettex they went up today - the first climb I did in the Alps following TDF in 1990 I think - loved watching it, such a beautiful valley to look over.

TJs just going to be a sitting duck tomorrow isn't he - can't see how he's not going to be isolated against the end of a Sky train up the final climb followed by Froome going away on the steep bit near the top just as in today's stage.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

The public watch television. They don't read reports by the likes of Julien Pretot and Neal Rogers - two who were moaning. When was the last time you read a race report?

In sports journalism the traditional match reporting and quote collecting is dead. The TV interviewer gets the quotes. If they want anything more then they know where the bus is. The press conferences are anachronisms.

Print media made cycling as a sport and to this day largely owns it. But there is now a schism between its entitlement and its relevance.

Sets a precedent though doesn't it? That the rider decides where & when the contact is made.

There's already significantly reduced access for the fans & press, and, let's face it, the access is one the appeals of cycling (at least, it was to me when I was growing up - blew me away having watched football that they'd interview riders literally seconds after crossing the finish line, as other riders were coming across!)

If they follow the whim of the rider on when & where they want to speak to the press, you'll end up with a football scenario, and who wants that?

Either way, it shouldn't be up to riders or teams to decide which rules they want to follow and not, whether they're in the racing itself on the road, or how they conduct themselves after stages.

If it is that fatiguing, and all the other riders who have attended are abiding by the law and thus suffered as a result, then it's cheating in a meaningful way anyway. If it's not, then he can go without a concern.

(number of words in post doesn't necessarily correlate with mean importance of subject or strength or opinion).
  • joelsim
    Didn't realise it was Le Bettex they went up today - the first climb I did in the Alps following TDF in 1990 I think - loved watching it, such a beautiful valley to look over.

TJs just going to be a sitting duck tomorrow isn't he - can't see how he's not going to be isolated against the end of a Sky train up the final climb followed by Froome going away on the steep bit near the top just as in today's stage.

He's on good form and hasn't been stuffed by Froome so he can sit tight and try to go with it. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. No one expected him to be leading, really he wins either way and he has a good shot at a big scalp. He would gladly have accepted this before the race started, and whatever happens his reputation has been enhanced.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Sets a precedent though doesn't it? That the rider decides where & when the contact is made.

There's already significantly reduced access for the fans & press, and, let's face it, the access is one the appeals of cycling (at least, it was to me when I was growing up - blew me away having watched football that they'd interview riders literally seconds after crossing the finish line, as other riders were coming across!)

If they follow the whim of the rider on when & where they want to speak to the press, you'll end up with a football scenario, and who wants that?

Either way, it shouldn't be up to riders or teams to decide which rules they want to follow and not, whether they're in the racing itself on the road, or how they conduct themselves after stages.

If it is that fatiguing, and all the other riders who have attended are abiding by the law and thus suffered as a result, then it's cheating in a meaningful way anyway. If it's not, then he can go without a concern.

(number of words in post doesn't necessarily correlate with mean importance of subject or strength or opinion).
    But why should the print media be given this privilege when they are largely irrelevant. No-one reads their reports and the quotes they get are the same as the stage winner gives to TV. If they want a quote then go and find it.

Also it maybe fatiguing to a rider, but I suppose it's not as fatiguing as a journalist getting out of his chair. The sense of entitlement for some these hacks (who have never covered another sport) is breathtaking.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Away from the on site print journalists, lets have a look at a young wannabe journo who thinks he knows about cycling (he's only 22) and his informed tweets today

Sky, let someone else do the work! Nibali must absolutely love the free tow.

I get what they are doing, I just think it's stupid. Let Astana do all the pulling.

The main problem is Sky are riding as if Froome is the strongest rider in the race.

@
    l Yates is in better shape than Froomey right now.

@
    It's a tactic that has failed for them more than it's worked. This time I was wrong, but still disagree with it fundamentally.

And to cover for his stupidity:

man has come a long way. http://

He's some (in his own mind) some hot shot student journalism. He's not a cycling journalist, but I thin he may be the most clueless journalist writing about cycling.

I'd also add in a belligerent mode, that I was a student sports journalism writer. I even got some award nomination from the Guardian for being the first person to write a case that Terry Venebles should succeed Graham Taylor as England manager.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Away from the on site print journalists, lets have a look at a young wannabe journo who thinks he knows about cycling (he's only 22) and his informed tweets today

Sky, let someone else do the work! Nibali must absolutely love the free tow.

I get what they are doing, I just think it's stupid. Let Astana do all the pulling.

The main problem is Sky are riding as if Froome is the strongest rider in the race.

@
    l Yates is in better shape than Froomey right now.

@
    It's a tactic that has failed for them more than it's worked. This time I was wrong, but still disagree with it fundamentally.

And to cover for his stupidity:

man has come a long way. http://

He's some (in his own mind) some hot shot student journalism. He's not a cycling journalist, but I thin he may be the most clueless journalist writing about cycling.

I'd also add in a belligerent mode, that I was a student sports journalism writer. I even got some award nomination from the Guardian for being the first person to write a case that Terry Venebles should succeed Graham Taylor as England manager.

Twitter is the graveyard of informed commentary on any subject
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    [quote="RichN95

[/quote]

That's fairly tragic. Must seek him out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim

Thanks for that, must be difficult coming from someone who lives in Cardiff :lol:

(And it's very unlike you to be belligerent Rich :mrgreen: )
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

He isn't the race leader. Lady Garden is.

Stage winner dissing press is even worse. Their selective compliance with the rules and conventions of the sport rivals that of our esteemed financial institutions. Curiously sloppy for a team of management consultants.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I agree with DG. And that goes for many of the older and more experienced ones as well.

Froome's forgone prize money was 4k euro and fine was 200 chf. Sky are clearly paying him and his domestiques too much. His wife being at the finish though...he may have seen that 4k as a price worth paying for an extra 30 mins with her.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    edited June 2015
    Taking one for the team with typically heroic colonial modesty, Froome chose to join the search for the missing Roche rather than fulfill tiresome obligations to the sport that so cruelly forces him to live most of the year in monastic Monaco.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That's the silly thing with fines as penalties. They effectively just put a cost on doing something. So in this case it's

Do Press Conference = €0
    Skip Press Conference = €4000'ish

It's like that famous experiment where a nursery school started fining parents for picking up their kids late. And as soon as the fines started more people started picking them up late. A fine isn't an incentive not to do something, it's just a price you choose to pay or not pay.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Oh yes that was an interesting situation in Israel.

A book you may want to read if you haven't already:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Money-Cant-Buy-Markets/dp/184614471X
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    A pity that live coverage is unlikely (outside chance) to be up and running in time to catch this:
    2rpwaib.jpg

Especially as the weather today is more than a bit unpredictable.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    It's absolutely chucking it down here; Froome will be lucky if he stays upright
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rowe DNS due to illness from yesterday
  • Macaloon
    Luke Rowe is sick, what about Kennaugh?

Luke Rowe twitted this morning: “I was a bit ill yesterday and things haven't got better. Big shame but good luck to the boys!” Chris Froome will be missing an important team-mate in his quest to the overall victory in the Critérium du Dauphiné. Rowe's room-mate Peter Kennaugh who won stage 1 doesn't look very well either. He's noted at the back of the bunch.

Via World of Motorhomes
  • Kelderman on the attack - trying to claw back that 25 minutes :)
  • joelsim
    Kelderman on the attack - trying to claw back that 25 minutes :)

Ridgerider will be pacing up and down with excitement!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    A pity that live coverage is unlikely (outside chance) to be up and running in time to catch this:
    2rpwaib.jpg

From the schedule posted on steephill and the text updates from cyclingnews, it looks like they're a little slow today, so the TV should start just as they're getting to it. :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon
    CHdnM8lWoAAHgnJ.png

Tony Martin, again :roll:
  • Macaloon
    With a 50" gap at the 94km feed-zone, lone fugitive Tony Martin asks his DS to let him know when the hour is up.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    2rpwaib.jpg

From the schedule posted on steephill and the text updates from cyclingnews, it looks like they're a little slow today, so the TV should start just as they're getting to it. :-)

No fans on it apparently? Is it a protected area?

Jered Gruber ‏@jeredgruber · 1h1 hour ago
    Truly disappointing to see the police forcing people off the Lacets de Montvernier - NO ONE allowed on it. #dauphine
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Suggestions of 'laces' from Imlach, after this 15 minute ad-break.