Critérium du Dauphiné ***spoilers***

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited June 2015 in Pro race
My favourite race of the year starts in just 24 hours... No idea why I like it so much... Short, Alpine, usually decent riders as they're readying themselves for the Tour... Just a good little race :-)

Anyhow... MY question is, does anyone know where this photo is for... It is on the CdD website and looks an awesome place... Tried Google image searching it but no joy...

Comments

• Separately but related - I note ITV4 are showing highlights this year
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • alpineaddict
    Rocamador?

I don't think it is, due to the lack of a church on the top of the rather large lump...
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    It's Sisteron in Haute-Provence
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Pretty sure *that* picture is Rocher de la baume which will be at the Sisteron finish at the end of stage 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisteron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisteron#/ ... _Baume.jpg
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • alpineaddict
    Thx folks... Was desperate to get out and watch the St Gervais stages but finances have decided otherwise...

Looks a lovely place mind... Must add it to the 'places to see' list...

Thx again
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    My favourite race of the year starts in just 24 hours... No idea why I like it so much... Short, Alpine, usually decent riders as they're readying themselves for the Tour... Just a good little race :-)

Anyhow... MY question is, does anyone know where this photo is for... It is on the CdD website and looks an awesome place... Tried Google image searching it but no joy...

Identity of the lump already answered, but it was posted on another thread a while back and it really is a very pretty lump.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Froome is 5/4 to win this, Valverdemort 12/1. This parcours looks very much like a Valverde to me. It will be interesting to see Nibali's condition too.
  • yes lovely Sisteron

Sisteron.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Definitely like the look of the route on paper.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alpineaddict
    Joelsim wrote:
    Froome is 5/4 to win this, Valverdemort 12/1. This parcours looks very much like a Valverde to me. It will be interesting to see Nibali's condition too.

I'd struggle to see anyone but Froome win this... I hope I'm wrong, but think he is a shoe-in... Tony Martin perhaps as well...???

Just checked out the teams and a decent line up, as always... Was hoping to say Michal Kwiatkowski have a dig at this one but perhaps EQS are sending him to the Tour de Suisse
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Joelsim wrote:
    It will be interesting to see Nibali's condition too.
    He will do the same as last year and just do enough.
    Critérium du Dauphiné is not the Prize.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    yes lovely Sisteron

Sisteron.jpg
    The Route Napoléonn
    Route Napoléon is the route taken by Napoléon in 1815 on his return from Elba. It is now a 325-kilometre section of the Route nationale 85.
    Travelled through many times for the sceenery between Genoble and Digne.
  • alpineaddict
    Tony Martin 66/1 ew... £20 thank you very much... Looking at the course, I can really see Tony on at least the Podium of this one...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tony Martin 66/1 ew... £20 thank you very much... Looking at the course, I can really see Tony on at least the Podium of this one...
    I hate to p1ss on your chips, but do you realise that stage 3 is a team time trial, not an individual one? There's no ITT.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alpineaddict
    RichN95 wrote:
    I hate to p1ss on your chips, but do you realise that stage 3 is a team time trial, not an individual one? There's no ITT.

haha... Should have gone to specsavers... :shock: :D
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    I went to have a look at the summit finish for Stage 7 today, mon dieu it is tough... the first 3km of the climb at 11% average has extended sections at 15-18%; very unusual for roads usually used for races in this part of the Alps. I expect it will cause utter carnage in the race...

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.jpg
  • alpineaddict
    I own a property in Les Contamines (just up the road from St Gervais) and if this is the hill I think it is then it truly is mighty steep, and narrow... It is only just wide enough for 1 car in sections... So carnage everywhere...

Gutted that circumstances have conspired against me being able to be out there for the 2 days in St Gervais...
  • alpineaddict
    cc78, just seen who you are and where you're based... I guess they'll be zooming straight past your front door? and I think we may have chatted several times on another forum ;)

Still would love to come stay at your gaff... Looks awesome... Enjoy the race dude if you get chance to see much...
  • cc78
    cc78, just seen who you are and where you're based... I guess they'll be zooming straight past your front door? and I think we may have chatted several times on another forum ;)

Still would love to come stay at your gaff... Looks awesome... Enjoy the race dude if you get chance to see much...

You had me confused for a while but mystery solved, you have been in contact with mrs cc78 on the un-named winter sports forum...

Shame you can't be around next weekend, it is indeed going right past our front door on Saturday. We are really busy that weekend but should hopefully at least have time to pop our heads outside to watch.

With a bit of luck having the Dauphiné two years running means that the Tour might be on its way back at some point in the near future... fingers crossed

And yes that road to Amerands is impressive, well researched by ASO as well as you would not normally spot it on the map, I'd certainly never been up there before even in a car (although it is a handy cut-through from St Gervais to Sallanches).

Hope your place in Contamines is going well. Give us a shout when you are over!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    cc78 wrote:
    I went to have a look at the summit finish for Stage 7 today, mon dieu it is tough... the first 3km of the climb at 11% average has extended sections at 15-18%; very unusual for roads usually used for races in this part of the Alps. I expect it will cause utter carnage in the race...

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.jpg

Oooh loving the look of that climb. It is great when they have a short sharp part at the beginning to kill off the domestiques and leave it to the leaders to duke it out between them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cc78
    edited June 2015
    cc78 wrote:

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.jpg

Oooh loving the look of that climb. It is great when they have a short sharp part at the beginning to kill off the domestiques and leave it to the leaders to duke it out between them.

it's a bit of a shame the downhill section is there (though I was very glad of it today), as it is not actually necessary: the route takes a detour to go through the centre of St-Gervais when it could just carry on pretty much straight up to the summit... still a superb climb though, the views of Mont Blanc are awesome all the way up
  • joelsim
    cc78 wrote:
    cc78 wrote:

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.jpg

it's a bit of a shame the downhill section is there, as it is not actually necessary: the route takes a detour to go through the centre of St-Gervais (pretty though it is) when it could just carry on pretty much straight up to the summit

I can't wait. No televised cycling since last week, it's crap. Wonder if Froome will be on top form and if so at which point will he motor on this stage?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited June 2015
    Joelsim wrote:
    I can't wait. No televised cycling since last week, it's crap. Wonder if Froome will be on top form and if so at which point will he motor on this stage?
    By the look of Froome's latest on twitter it looks like old school cosy 3* with Wout Poels and there's no Porte stylee FroomeWagon!

Hope is we see some genuine racing and not too much in reserve/ marking between Froome and Nibs along the lines of Froome/ Contador last yr.
  • joelsim
    RonB wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    By the look of Froome's latest on twitter it looks like old school cosy 3* with Walt Poels and there's no Porte stylee FroomeWagon!

Hope is we see some genuine racing and not too much in reserve/ marking between Froome and Nibs along the lines of Froome/ Contador last yr.

He obviously read the Froomecat thread :D

Hope he is fit and comes out all guns blazing, otherwise Valverde will win it. A 2013 vintage Froome will set things up nicely for the summer.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,542
    yes lovely Sisteron
    Ooh, I'll be going through there early August on my bike.

'My' stage is Stage 6 finishing at Villard-de-Lans - I know all the route well from Mens, and the descent from Col de Grimone through the tunnels should be bonkers. And the 45-minute Col de Rousset ascent I'd predict would be where the stage could be won - a group getting away there could well hold its lead to the finish (though they'll have to work hard on the last part of the Gorges de la Borne to maintain it).

If you're interested, here are Cols de Grimone and Rousset:

http://unanglaisendiois.blogspot.co.uk/ ... imone.html
    http://unanglaisendiois.blogspot.co.uk/ ... usset.html

And a video of the descent from Col de Grimone at the stunning Gorges des Gâts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_toJUs1tsQ

Argh, so would like to have been there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Now that I am able to watch races live at work, I am actually excited about this race again.

Last time I got excited for the Dauphine was about 8 years ago (when Bernard Kohl won the KOM jersey and I secretly got excited about him - should have guessed eh?)

Feel like a novice since I've barely managed to watch any of it in in those 8 years.
  • deejay
    cc78 wrote:
    it's a bit of a shame the downhill section is there (though I was very glad of it today), as it is not actually necessary: the route takes a detour to go through the centre of St-Gervais when it could just carry on pretty much straight up to the summit...
    I noted several times before the ASO took over that deviations through local villages were the Norm.
    I found that following the Dauphine was more interesting than the TDF.
    I changed my travelling because of a Texan and would continue to Tour du Suisse.
  • cc78
    deejay wrote:
    I noted several times before the ASO took over that deviations through local villages were the Norm.
    I found that following the Dauphine was more interesting than the TDF.
    I changed my travelling because of a Texan and would continue to Tour du Suisse.

It's certainly great if you want to rub shoulders with the pros; the team coach parking areas are much more accessible than they are the Tour.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Separately but related - I note ITV4 are showing highlights this year
    they are showing it live