Front Ring Changing problems on Orange Five NOW RESOLVED...

Comments

• M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    Since last night I've been making slight adjustments to the inside and outside crub screws. Very small fine adjustments as per Paul's advice. Just been out to do the same 5 minute run...and it was changing up to the top ring NO PROBLEM. Ironically, on the climb it only changes up when I get out of the saddle and put it under full load. Hopefully this will be the end of my gear woes. I must say that i do feel that the SLX shimano kit on this bike feels very weak. May have to upgrade to SRAM XX 2x10 at some point after all of this.

Thanks to all who have made positive contributions to this thread and helped me resolve my problem.
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    4 pages to undo a high limit screw - impressive.

Yeah SLX is rubbish and weak like you say. You need to blow the cash on some XX shite.
  • M9DBO
    4 pages to undo a high limit screw - impressive.

Yeah SLX is rubbish and weak like you say. You need to blow the cash on some XX shite.

it certainly is. I would have thought my LBS would have been able to advise me of this. I never professed to know much mechanically, but this is plain stupid. Thank's to Paul's advice, it seemes sorted. I will be feeding back to the guy at the Bike shop that was "the workshop manager and been there for 15 years".

I will start another thread soon on tyre pressures and see if we can stretch that acorss 5 pages.

Laters.
  • M9DBO
    I could have had a few worse days I guess...

30117dbc778a0c3c66d5bac569317312_zpsjtrolmfy.jpg

http://kingpiggy.com/20-people-whose-days-sucks-worse/
  • Chunkers1980
    But it was only the start button.
  • M9DBO
    But it was only the start button.

:lol:
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Think things got a little stressed but understandable when you want your new bike to work.

I'd recommend learning to do all the maintenance yourself, not only does it save a fortune in the long run (some specific tools will mean initially it's not any cheaper) but I personally find a good amount of satisfaction in doing my own maintenance. Nothing is too difficult on a bike with a bit of patience and I'm now happy to go as far as stripping and servicing my own forks which saves a fortune plus it saves sending them away too.
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    M9DBO wrote:
    Maybe at age 44 and almost 40 years of cycling I may need to go back to complete a cycling proficiency course.
    M9DBO wrote:
    I dont know what the limiter screws are. If they are the two little crub screws, then the guy at the bike shop told me NEVER to adjust those. Like, EVER.

You have been riding 40 years and don't know how to maintain a bike :shock: :roll:
  • M9DBO
    JodyP wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:
    Maybe at age 44 and almost 40 years of cycling I may need to go back to complete a cycling proficiency course.
    M9DBO wrote:
    I dont know what the limiter screws are. If they are the two little crub screws, then the guy at the bike shop told me NEVER to adjust those. Like, EVER.

You have been riding 40 years and don't know how to maintain a bike :shock: :roll:

Yeah, thats right Jody. yeah spot on. How inspired a comment. Idiot.
  • M9DBO
    So, long story but after all of that positivity, went out on a ride and had to turn back AGAIN. The bike is now back at All Terrain Cycles and after two different mechanics stripped the crankset and re-mounted the derailleur, after two seprate test rides themselves they have admitted that something isn't right and that they actually have a couple of other Orange bikes in that had some issues too. WTF?

They are now taking up the issue with Orange. Whilst I do not have a bike. I'm taking up with management in the morning.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Orange must have bought a faulty bridge. Sure the next batch will be better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    cooldad wrote:

Faulty bridge? What is this as I am curious after reading four pages haha. Never heard the term before, or do you mean batch?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Faulty bridge? What is this as I am curious after reading four pages haha. Never heard the term before, or do you mean batch?
    I read on the internet that Orange 5s are made from old scrapped bridges.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • M9DBO
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I read on the internet that Orange 5s are made from old scrapped bridges.

:lol:
  • JodyP
    M9DBO wrote:
    JodyP wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:

Must have touched a nerve :lol:
  • M9DBO
    JodyP wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:
    JodyP wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:

Must have touched a nerve :lol:

Erm , no just showing your misunderstadning of the situation. Any person displaying such a misunderstanding of a situation in my opinion is an idiot.
  • JodyP
    I'm not here for an argument. It was merely an observation that in 40 years cycling you haven't learned how to adjust a mech and you have the cheek to call me an idiot :roll:

Anyway, good luck getting your new bike running as it should be.
  • Chunkers1980
    Thing I've learnt over the years is that some people are just mechanically retarded. Seriously not a clue. Doesn't mean they are retarded. They may be an ass though.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    M9DBO wrote:
    JodyP wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:
    M9DBO wrote:

Is there any reason to be abusive? Throughout you've been offered advice but if it's not been to your liking you've started getting aggressive. You might think it's bad advice and sometimes it's a little abrupt but that's no reason to get aggressive about it. For what it's worth I agree that there is possibly something not right but also that your technique flawed.

Your attitude to advice is what causes the sarcastic comments etc.
  • M9DBO
    I apologise if I've come across as aggressive. Never my intention. I am indeed very frustrated though. I've waited for years to get an Orange Five. This size of spend on a mountain bike for me was pretty big. I turned to this forum to try to get some opinion on the issues I was having. There is now an admission that there is an issue with the race face and front mech combo and even the professional mechanics at All Terrain Cycles couldn't get the adjustment sorted and get the mech at the front to change up on any kind of incline.

I may not have the best technique that some of you have highlighted. I might not be mechanically able when it comes to these things. I pay for "professionals" to help me with the things I'm not well versed in. That includes, but far from limited to, repairing my cars, healthcare and...bike maintenance. I do however get paid well for the profession that I excel in.

I fail to see the need for certain people to post about my gloves, my bad technique, my lack of maintenance ability, (after 40 years) The bike has a fault relating to the components used. Anyway, thanks agian to those that offered practical help and advice, sorry again to those that felt my responses to some comments were aggressive.
  • M9DBO
    edited June 2015
    All's well that ends well. I eat humble hat and take my pie off to All Terrain Cycles. Great service. The have replaced the crankset (edit) for Shimano SLX and the bike rides like a dream, like it SHOULD. Changes brilliantly. Under load, up hill, down hill, with gloves, without gloves, good technique bad technique, whatever. Amazing. Shoddy of Orange supplying a bike with parts that don't work properly. Cue, Orange jokes...
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    M9DBO wrote:
    All's well that ends well. I eat humble hat and take my pie off to All Terrain Cycles. Great service. The have replaced the crankshaft for Shimano SLX and the bike rides like a dream, like it SHOULD. Changes brilliantly. Under load, up hill, down hill, with gloves, without gloves, good technique bad technique, whatever. Amazing. Shoddy of Orange supplying a bike with parts that don't work properly. Que, Orange jokes...
    Your bike has a crankshaft?
    Sorry.

Faulty parts exist. Is there a recall on the cranks?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    M9DBO wrote:
    All's well that ends well. I eat humble hat and take my pie off to All Terrain Cycles. Great service. The have replaced the crankshaft for Shimano SLX and the bike rides like a dream, like it SHOULD. Changes brilliantly. Under load, up hill, down hill, with gloves, without gloves, good technique bad technique, whatever. Amazing. Shoddy of Orange supplying a bike with parts that don't work properly. Que, Orange jokes...

Shimano SLX cranks are excellent for sure but so generally are Raceface cranks and I still struggle to see how a set of cranks do not function with any given bike even if the bike in question is an Orange. The Ride cranks feature a chainline adjustment function that allows the position of the chainrings to be altered and to fine tune shifting to fit the needs of some bikes. I wonder whether something was amiss with this set and how they had been setup?

Glad its sorted but I would hate for anyone to think that Raceface products are at fault as I have only had good experiences with them in the past and present.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • OP has a very different definition of great service to mine.

What's more likely, that a particular batch of poorly set up orange bikes have been sold to this shop and this shop only, or that the shop are unable to set up a bike properly? granted the OP could have manned up and fixed the setup himself for a lot less hassle, but if you don't want to get involved with the mechanicals then that's your perogative..
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Orange bikes are poop over priced girders...

Take it back and get a bike not a BSO...

my 2 pence :P
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063

What do you know that all those Orange owners don't?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    what he said?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594

What do you know that all those Orange owners don't?

Not to sniff my own farts by place my head directly up my... :)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Because I'm just wondering, you see an awful lot of them out on the trails and at trail centres - can all the owners be know nothing morons?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Because I'm just wondering, you see an awful lot of them out on the trails and at trail centres - can all the owners be know nothing morons?

Only those that turn up in Audis ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris