BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The voluntary sector today found out that only 50% of the funding allocated to NI under the EU schemes will be replaced by UK Levelling Up funds.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Lol.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Stevo_666 said:

More opinions ;) from the press which paint a positive picture...

The announcement that the UK is to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans Pacific Partnership is a huge achievement. It should not be underestimated. This will open up free trade between the UK and 11 economies in the Indo Pacific region. It means free trade not just with Australia and New Zealand but with countries like Japan, Canada and Mexico, as well as Singapore and Vietnam. It will in time prove transformational for the British economy.

These countries have a population of 500 million and a GDP of $9 trillion. Japan is the third largest economy in the world. Of the others, many are fast growing and progressive economies, and then there are the more traditional, stable, developed economies of Australia, Canada and Singapore.

The UK will be in a unique position. It already has a free trade agreement with the EU which may not be quite as liberal as being a member of the single market, but nevertheless gives the UK tariff and quota free access to the EU market, as well as being able to import from the EU duty-free. No country has freer trade with the EU than the UK. Add to that free trade with 500 million people in the Indo-Pacific and the UK has amongst the best trading arrangements of any country on earth.

At the moment, the UK’s trade with the CPTPP countries constitutes just 7.8 per cent of its total trade. Critics may think that is unimportant, but remember: these countries are some of the most economically dynamic on earth. It is estimated that by 2030, 65 per cent of the world’s middle-class consumers will be in the Indo Pacific region. So for the naysayers who think the CPTPP may not be important to the British economy, let me remind them that the growth on trade with those 11 economies is already running at around 8 per cent a year.

Once trade barriers are torn down, expect that trade to grow a great deal faster. And while we have no idea how well British exporters will fare in those Indo Pacific markets, the opportunities have now opened up as never before. Getting into the CPTPP is not just beneficial in the short-term, it is locking the British economy into the most economically dynamic region in the world. It constitutes a very serious investment in the future.

Added to the trade statistics, it is important to remember that UK service suppliers are already deeply integrated with the Indo Pacific region. UK service suppliers exported nearly £30 billion worth of services to CPTPP members in 2019.

Also a reminder that we do have a free trade deal with EU which is better than any other country, according to the article.

Not bad for a bunch of alleged f***wits :smile:

I wish I could get as glowing a report for improving my performance by 0.1% over the next decade.
    Indeed, if you were a CEO doing this kind of stuff (damage) to a company you'd have to leave office pretty much immediately.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605

Stevo_666 said:

The announcement that the UK is to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Trans Pacific Partnership is a huge achievement. It should not be underestimated. This will open up free trade between the UK and 11 economies in the Indo Pacific region. It means free trade not just with Australia and New Zealand but with countries like Japan, Canada and Mexico, as well as Singapore and Vietnam. It will in time prove transformational for the British economy.

These countries have a population of 500 million and a GDP of $9 trillion. Japan is the third largest economy in the world. Of the others, many are fast growing and progressive economies, and then there are the more traditional, stable, developed economies of Australia, Canada and Singapore.

The UK will be in a unique position. It already has a free trade agreement with the EU which may not be quite as liberal as being a member of the single market, but nevertheless gives the UK tariff and quota free access to the EU market, as well as being able to import from the EU duty-free. No country has freer trade with the EU than the UK. Add to that free trade with 500 million people in the Indo-Pacific and the UK has amongst the best trading arrangements of any country on earth.

At the moment, the UK’s trade with the CPTPP countries constitutes just 7.8 per cent of its total trade. Critics may think that is unimportant, but remember: these countries are some of the most economically dynamic on earth. It is estimated that by 2030, 65 per cent of the world’s middle-class consumers will be in the Indo Pacific region. So for the naysayers who think the CPTPP may not be important to the British economy, let me remind them that the growth on trade with those 11 economies is already running at around 8 per cent a year.

Once trade barriers are torn down, expect that trade to grow a great deal faster. And while we have no idea how well British exporters will fare in those Indo Pacific markets, the opportunities have now opened up as never before. Getting into the CPTPP is not just beneficial in the short-term, it is locking the British economy into the most economically dynamic region in the world. It constitutes a very serious investment in the future.

Added to the trade statistics, it is important to remember that UK service suppliers are already deeply integrated with the Indo Pacific region. UK service suppliers exported nearly £30 billion worth of services to CPTPP members in 2019.

Also a reminder that we do have a free trade deal with EU which is better than any other country, according to the article.

I wish I could get as glowing a report for improving my performance by 0.1% over the next decade.
    Indeed, if you were a CEO doing this kind of stuff (damage) to a company you'd have to leave office pretty much immediately.
    Musk would beg to differ

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    The Telegraph on Biden not attending the coronation:

White House officials have previously indicated that it was always “unlikely” Mr Biden would go to the Coronation. However, his decision to spend nearly a week in Ireland rather than attending is expected to lead to renewed criticism of his positions on Brexit.

Obsessed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,678

White House officials have previously indicated that it was always “unlikely” Mr Biden would go to the Coronation. However, his decision to spend nearly a week in Ireland rather than attending is expected to lead to renewed criticism of his positions on Brexit.

Obsessed.

They were looking forward to the Trump-Johnson double act.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

Obsessed.
    They’re not wrong though. Though more accurate would be his criticisms of Brexit.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023
  • kingstongraham

Obsessed.
    They’re not wrong though. Though more accurate would be his criticisms of Brexit.
    Only because they're obsessed.
  • rick_chasey

Obsessed.
    Only because they're obsessed.

Meh, so am I tbh. It’s remarkable how often I encounter it.

Such a ballache.
  • briantrumpet

Obsessed.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Well it draws attention away from easter holiday queue misery. Again.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

Stevo_666 said:

I wish I could predict the future like you Brian. I've already set out the likely long term benefits, but you appear to be stuck in the old 'the only good trade deal is with the EU' mindset. Time to broaden your horizons I think.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I am looking at the opportunities a major new trade deal but all I seem to be getting back is 'but the EU was better'. So what if it was?

I know this is a rhetorical question but the answer is that the party that thought it such a good idea to negotiate with the EU via insults, rhetoric and a total absence of rigorous analysis are still in charge. (e.g. Raab, who was unaware of the geographical significance of Dover-Calais in UK-EU trade is still a senior minister and f*ckits like Cash, Anderson, Brigden and Francois are influential MPs).

Their incompetence / lack of judgement needs maximum publicity rather than being conveniently forgotten so that if anyone feels compelled to vote for them next time they are aware that they are voting for a bunch of morons, notwithstanding Sunak's recent conversion to professionalism now that it suits him.

Not sure how that addresses my point?
    You seemed to be alluding to the Government making a clever move and W&G is reminding you that they are demonstrably f*ckwits. Seems to address the point.
    My question was to W&G. But in any event don't confuse facts with opinion.
    You asked why people keep going back to the decision to leave the EU. My explanation was that leaving the EU in the way we did was a f*ckwit decision, made by the same f*ckwits that are still in charge, and that reminding people of this fact will hopefully help their decision-making in the future.

When Starmer takes over, there will be much less reference to the decision to leave the EU, as he was a remainer.
    Careful what you wish for is all I can say. If Starmer does take over then we'll have bigger issues than Brexit (actually we already do but this will add to the pile).

Tbh when I posted news of a major needs trade deal I had hoped for a bit more than the usual 'but its not the EU' (irrelevant as where we are now its not a one or the other choice); and 'but it's the nasty Torwies' (which seems to be more about people taking out their frustrations in life on the ruling party rather than being relevant to the point).

Hey ho.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I wish I could predict the future like you Brian. I've already set out the likely long term benefits, but you appear to be stuck in the old 'the only good trade deal is with the EU' mindset. Time to broaden your horizons I think.

0.08%
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

0.08%
    On what basis and over what period?

Alternatively can I borrow your time machine and travel to the future?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I am looking at the opportunities a major new trade deal but all I seem to be getting back is 'but the EU was better'. So what if it was?

I know this is a rhetorical question but the answer is that the party that thought it such a good idea to negotiate with the EU via insults, rhetoric and a total absence of rigorous analysis are still in charge. (e.g. Raab, who was unaware of the geographical significance of Dover-Calais in UK-EU trade is still a senior minister and f*ckits like Cash, Anderson, Brigden and Francois are influential MPs).

Their incompetence / lack of judgement needs maximum publicity rather than being conveniently forgotten so that if anyone feels compelled to vote for them next time they are aware that they are voting for a bunch of morons, notwithstanding Sunak's recent conversion to professionalism now that it suits him.

You seemed to be alluding to the Government making a clever move and W&G is reminding you that they are demonstrably f*ckwits. Seems to address the point.
    You asked why people keep going back to the decision to leave the EU. My explanation was that leaving the EU in the way we did was a f*ckwit decision, made by the same f*ckwits that are still in charge, and that reminding people of this fact will hopefully help their decision-making in the future.

When Starmer takes over, there will be much less reference to the decision to leave the EU, as he was a remainer.
    Careful what you wish for is all I can say. If Starmer does take over then we'll have bigger issues than Brexit (actually we already do but this will add to the pile).

Tbh when I posted news of a major needs trade deal I had hoped for a bit more than the usual 'but its not the EU' (irrelevant as where we are now its not a one or the other choice); and 'but it's the nasty Torwies' (which seems to be more about people taking out their frustrations in life on the ruling party rather than being relevant to the point).

Hey ho.
    What do you think starmer will do, crash market confidence and last a handful of days? Run down public services until there's an endless drip of strikes across health, education and transport?

Whilst there are undoubtedly bigger issues than Brexit, it does seem that the implications of Brexit are largely have either a small negative, or no impact on these other issues. It just feels like a complete waste of energy.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    edited April 2023
    Over 10 years according the the government's own figures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65124741

‐----------------
    And even with some gains in trading the government only estimates it will add 0.08% to the size of the economy in 10 years.
    -----------------
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

0.08%
    On what basis and over what period?

Alternatively can I borrow your time machine and travel to the future?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    Glad to see we've come back around to "too early to tell"
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,145

Obsessed.
    I do find it odd that the guy who keeps posting that everyone should stop mentioning Brexit, pays for the one newspaper that can be guaranteed to link almost anything to Brexit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    pangolin said:

After the next election any downsides can then be blamed on the Lefties.
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Hey ho.

Why did you post about it in a Brexit thread and post about it possibly preventing the UK rejoining the EU then?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,928
    edited April 2023
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,592

Stevo_666 said:

Hey ho.

Why did you post about it in a Brexit thread and post about it possibly preventing the UK rejoining the EU then?
    Things need to be related to Brexit to be posted in this thread?
  • kingstongraham

Stevo_666 said:

Hey ho.

Things need to be related to Brexit to be posted in this thread?
    If you are going to cry about replies related to Brexit, maybe it's not the best place.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

What, shouldn't we have 16 years of blaming the previous government with a healthy dose of blaming the leader of the opposition party that never got into a position of power?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,019

Pross said:

pangolin said:

What, shouldn't we have 16 years of blaming the previous government with a healthy dose of blaming the leader of the opposition party that never got into a position of power?
    Just imagine the amount of flack that Truss is going to get after the next election.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pangolin said:

Just imagine the amount of flack that Truss is going to get after the next election.
    Thick Lizzy? Nah she's got herself sorted.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,019
    “You’re barred!”
    😂
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Hey ho.
    No-one’s excited about a major trade deal for two reasons:

1) In practical terms, this is not a major deal. It is a deal with a group of countries with a lot of GDP that has minimal incremental impact for the U.K.

2) In emotional terms, it’s equivalent to being dumped by a long term partner and then being expected to be excited when told you can bring a “+1” to your ex’s wedding. Being able to bring a “+1” to a wedding isn’t bad news in itself, but rather misses the big issue.