BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    edited September 2021
    Johnson: “we’re going to drastically cut army numbers to make it more effective in a modern warfare environment”

Also Johnson “but they will also have to take petrol to petrol stations because we refused to plan for a Brexit we implemented”
  • pblakeney said:

Strange thing today out on the bike. I passed loads of garages. No queues and no signs saying sold out. Muppets must feel silly. I hope so.

Drove out to Leith Hill from Kingston. Every petrol station we passed had massive queues except one that had a sign saying "no unleaded".

It was causing traffic jams at the hook junction with the a3 and at the leatherhead roundabout near Box Hill. It's crazy out there.

I bet you if you quizzed most of those drivers, each one would deny they are panic buying, but would come up with some reason why they had to queue to fill their tank to the top today.
    Yes I put £75 in at 6am this morning - I needed to get somewhere by car today and saw no point in putting £30 in and possibly having to get up at 5am and try multiple petrol stations again on Tuesday or Wednesday if I could put enough in to last me at least til next weekend.

It's just a collective action problem really - individually rational actions are producing a collectively sub optimal outcome.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    When I hear how much people pay for petrol it makes me feel better about my 0.9 litre polo.
  • I know I don't think I've ever put much more than £50 in a car before - I reckon I could have squeezed another fivers worth in too.

I normally drive my daughter's VW Up through choice (she's given up driving and my son who has been using it has gone to uni ) but that's just a bit too small if I have to transport anything of any size.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited September 2021
    125cc Bike FTW! 200 miles on about a tenner

(Unless you have a 70mph road to deal with then, yeah it's too small)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney said:

Strange thing today out on the bike. I passed loads of garages. No queues and no signs saying sold out. Muppets must feel silly. I hope so.

Drove out to Leith Hill from Kingston. Every petrol station we passed had massive queues except one that had a sign saying "no unleaded".

It was causing traffic jams at the hook junction with the a3 and at the leatherhead roundabout near Box Hill. It's crazy out there.

I bet you if you quizzed most of those drivers, each one would deny they are panic buying, but would come up with some reason why they had to queue to fill their tank to the top today.
    Yes I put £75 in at 6am this morning - I needed to get somewhere by car today and saw no point in putting £30 in and possibly having to get up at 5am and try multiple petrol stations again on Tuesday or Wednesday if I could put enough in to last me at least til next weekend.

It's just a collective action problem really - individually rational actions are producing a collectively sub optimal outcome.
    Your last sentence perfectly sums it up.

The tales of woe from people unable to make journeys important to to them just baffles me that that did not plan ahead on Thursday.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806

pblakeney said:

The tales of woe from people unable to make journeys important to to them just baffles me that that did not plan ahead on Thursday.
    Conclusion. People should have panicked more on Thursday?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • So much for all that guff during the first, vaguely proper lockdown, when people said how brilliant it was not to have cars on the roads, how that was going to be the new normal, how wonderful it would be for environment, etc.

Seems like people are still as addicted to their cars and 'easy travel' as ever they were, and f*ck the environment. I find it thoroughly depressing. And I'm not easily depressed.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2021
    Some of us said it was totally brilliant.
    Some of us also said it wouldn't last. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    Did the return trip to Liverpool today to take junior back to uni. Was not sure what to expect at filling up time but waited approx 60 seconds to get to a pump at a BP station on the M1.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Did the return trip to Liverpool today to take junior back to uni. Was not sure what to expect at filling up time but waited approx 60 seconds to get to a pump at a BP station on the M1.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Nowhere else to put it but here’s the German result

Shift leftwards with SDP and Greena gaining at expense of CDU.

Nice to see AfD losing ground
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    edited September 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

I think you did the right thing getting fuel where they can gouge you.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

No need to panic on Thursday.

If I needed a rail ticket on a Monday and I bought it on Sunday to avoid the inevitable long queues would that be a panic buy?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

If I needed a rail ticket on a Monday and I bought it on Sunday to avoid the inevitable long queues would that be a panic buy?
    Could it possibly be that there was relatively little panic buying and petrol stations are just under supplied.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It would be if there were queues a mile long on the Sunday. 😉
    You'd be doing it online, so say the system crashed, then yes too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666 said:

I think you did the right thing getting fuel where they can gouge you.
    The top story on the DM included video footage of chaos in Bromley so maybe he had no choice.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    edited September 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

If you normally buy it on Monday, and buying it on Sunday for some obscure reason meant that people wanting to travel later on Sunday couldn't, then yes.

I don't think you get away with it being not a panic buy just because you started the ball rolling.

But obviously, individually not irrational.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

If you normally buy it on Monday, and buying it on Sunday for some obscure reason meant that people wanting to travel later on Sunday couldn't, then yes.

I don't think you get away with it being not a panic buy just because you started the ball rolling.

I could chose another analogy where pre-planning your life saved you inconvenience whilst those unwilling to think ahead accused you of panicking but I think we both know it would be pointless
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    A couple of interesting points on the news this morning. Apparently the first mention of issues came from someone leaking a confidential report. The person didn't say whether that was at Government level or within BP (or whoever produced the report) but I got the feeling they knew who it came from.

Also, the DVLA have apparently got 40,000 HGV licence applications sitting on their desks as the medical checks aren't getting processed. We've experienced this with our daughter's application for a driving licence as she had to declare her previous medical issues. Her consultant provided the information very quickly despite the pressure on the NHS but it took 9 months and a formal complaint for the licence to come through. The DVLA have been a complete joke through the pandemic (probably before but the pandemic has really highlighted their problems).
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Simply relaying my experiences and observations yesterday. What's your issue with that?

It's almost as if you want to it to be bad.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I could chose another analogy where pre-planning your life saved you inconvenience whilst those unwilling to think ahead accused you of panicking but I think we both know it would be pointless
    I'd say there isn't panic buying now, just long queues and shortages.

But if you think there is panic buying, then buying early because you think there will be a shortage and long queues is basically the origin story.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,928
    Pross said:

A couple of interesting points on the news this morning. Apparently the first mention of issues came from someone leaking a confidential report. The person didn't say whether that was at Government level or within BP (or whoever produced the report) but I got the feeling they knew who it came from.

Also, the DVLA have apparently got 40,000 HGV licence applications sitting on their desks as the medical checks aren't getting processed. We've experienced this with our daughter's application for a driving licence as she had to declare her previous medical issues. Her consultant provided the information very quickly despite the pressure on the NHS but it took 9 months and a formal complaint for the licence to come through. The DVLA have been a complete joke through the pandemic (probably before but the pandemic has really highlighted their problems).

Didn't they have a massive covid outbreak at the start of the year because their IT systems were somehow totally unsuitable for Wfh.

Not that thus would have excused them, just another example of them being a bit shit.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

They're prioritising the motorway service stations.

The petrol station on the A21 near Pratt's Bottom had queues about a mile long yesterday afternoon. I passed 5 more between there and Banstead yesterday. 4 were closed and the other near Addinton also had a queue a mile long.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I'd say there isn't panic buying now, just long queues and shortages.

But if you think there is panic buying, then buying early because you think there will be a shortage and long queues is basically the origin story.
    The bigger issue is clearly idiots panic buying. Not helped by idiots spreading scare stories around on the Internet.

There is also a question mark about whether those with an agenda were trying to cause a problem:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/26/haulage-body-anti-brexit-drive-behind-fuel-crisis-leak-claim/
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,550
    There were localised fuel shortages near me on tuesday - Local facebook group was reporting no fuel in various petrol stations around Ashtead and Dorking.

I think the Hook junction issue was not entirely petrol related - there was some kind of road closure down there, traffic had been bad before the fuel queues

pblakeney said:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

Didn't they have a massive covid outbreak at the start of the year because their IT systems were somehow totally unsuitable for Wfh.

Not that thus would have excused them, just another example of them being a bit censored .
    Yeah, they were working like battery hens. As you say that was one of the symptoms of how shit they have been.
  • If we've learned anything from the last 18 months, it's that you need to get your stockpiling in early, so you don't have to panic buy with all those people who believed what they were told.