BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    A lot of buildings in the centre of Chamonix still use gas bottles...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,569
    I guess we could always go electric at some point. Plenty of room for solar panels as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Pross said:

Pross said:

My sister has oil heating (out in the sticks with no gas supply). The price fluctuations are huge. I think you can be quite savvy and buy your supplies when rates are lower even if you don't get it delivered at that time but it is still very volatile.

Honestly, the state of this place. Not even gas supplies to houses.
    I don't think that's UK specific to be honest. Lots of countries will rely on propane tanks or oil tanks in rural areas.
    That just adds to Rick's grievances about living in the sticks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

My sister has oil heating (out in the sticks with no gas supply). The price fluctuations are huge. I think you can be quite savvy and buy your supplies when rates are lower even if you don't get it delivered at that time but it is still very volatile.

I don't think that's UK specific to be honest. Lots of countries will rely on propane tanks or oil tanks in rural areas.
    if the gas pipes can't reach your house you're too far out.
  • ddraver
    Induction FTW
    - @ddraver

• No shortages of fish at least in the USA then.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643

Pross said:

You think the entire world is hooked up to a gas grid?
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

Not the entire world, the rich world.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

john80 said:

You guys are really getting your tinfoil hats on the go. The real answer to this problem is for the UK to go down a route of having some energy and food security and reversing some of the globalisation agenda if you can' handle some rough patches.

How does that happen before this winter?
    It doesn't bit it might help in future. Guess what infrastructure is not like buying Chinese toys and peddling them in a shop.
    But what should they do now?
    Pay to keep the consumer protected to some level and then when they are weighing up those more expensive but secure engineering solutions remember that time they had to pay out for all that gas. They will be paying a couple of fertiliser companies to start productions soon enough or accept there is no CO2 which is used for a lot of food processing.
  • Pross said:

How far to the nearest Waitrose?
  • john80

Stevo_666 said:

I'm just waiting for Stevo to say that he's got plenty of gas for his boiler.

Funnily enough, the house we're buying has oil fired central heating and no gas :) (house buying attempt #2 after the last one fell through).
    Oh mate, don't do it! I couldn't tell you how long I've listened to people whine about how much faff that is.
    not so much the faff as the cost!!!! I would ask to see a few years delivery receipts
    Honestly, I have never heard so much whining from people about oil fired houses.

Christ alive. The regular days off to take delivery. The general maintenance. Running out of oil before the season is over. Delays in oil delivery. My favourite, the "my house is so big it's so much to heat. Oi, can you do that work so I can deliver it to the client and charge the next fee which i get 50% off and you none".

Honestly Stevo, don't do it.
    We replaced a oil boiler and tank a few years ago like for like. There is a tank gauge so you know where you are with quantity and I have never had to wait more than say 7 days for a fill. It is a pretty cheap way to heat a house and if serviced yearly is pretty reliable for say the 10 year boiler life. In rural places with no gas it is a no brainer in terms of cost. The only thing that could possibly beat it is if you can bring your probably old house up to modern regs for both air changes and insulation and have room to install substantial solar then a air source heat pump might work.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

if the gas pipes can't reach your house you're too far out.
    Utter nonsense. You do spout some ignorant townie sh!te. Presumably to get a rise.
    Our village is 1,000 years old, has 250+ houses in it, has a main road pass through it, and the nearest gas main is 3 miles away.
    I think you'll find the village was around and well populated a long time before gas was used to heat homes.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

How far to the nearest Waitrose?
    So I used to live near a Waitrose and it is good for certain things, but I would advise against using it as your one-stop-shop.

So Waitrose strengths are really around choice and variety. If there's a more unusual ingredient you need, or you want some really high end things (especially condiments & accompaniments , regional specialities, etc etc) then Waitrose is a great shop. It will have the majority if what you're looking for, in my experience anyway. Their wine selection is also good, especially for that £15-30 range, and it's THE supermarket to go to if you want good quality spirits.

It's weakness is in the basic stuff, which is the same but priced materially higher. This extends to their fresh food. I happen to know for a particular fruit they use the same farms and suppliers as lidl, but put their own packaging on it and charge 2.5x the price.

Their meat is exceptionally expensive and not from a noticeably better source - you're better off going to a premium butcher, as it won't cost more but you'll know where you're getting it from.
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

In future news, The government will be banning gas boilers.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I don't think they're gonna be replacing them with oil fires. They will be hooked up to another piping system.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

I'm assuming you are basing this on a sample size of one - Netherlands. Sometimes you need to get out a bit more.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,569

Pross said:

It seems fairly affluent where we're moving to.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

I'm assuming you are basing this on a sample size of one - Netherlands. Sometimes you need to get out a bit more.
    Germany is the same.
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

Germany is the same.
    It isn't. 25% are heated with oil.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021

Pross said:

Germany is the same.
    It isn't. 25% are heated with oil.
    Ha seriously? I am very surprised. I have been in the sticks there (albeit west germany) and they all have gas.

Is it an East German thing?
  • TheBigBean

• rick_chasey
    hang on, are you saying 25% of people have oil fires in their houses and take delivery every year of fuel oil?
  • ddraver
    One assumes the district heating is former communist ;)
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

Pross said:

Germany is the same.
    Have you every spent any time outside of an urban area Rick, because your comments would suggest you haven't, or certainly not for long enough to notice how utilities are supplied.
    You'll be telling us every house is on mains water and mains drainage next.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I don't think they're gonna be replacing them with oil fires. They will be hooked up to another piping system.
    Gonna be fun when everyone has to switch to heat pumps or hydrogen-ready boilers.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

New York is communist?
  • john80

hang on, are you saying 25% of people have oil fires in their houses and take delivery every year of fuel oil?

I am unaware of any oil distribution systems in a western world that would pump or gravity feed oil to your house boiler. There is good reason for this.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

I am unaware of any oil distribution systems in a western world that would pump or gravity feed oil to your house boiler. There is good reason for this.
    What I mean is is the chart referring to house fuel oil like what Stevo refers to or power stations which burn oil?
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

New York is communist?
    Full of lefty liberal marxist snowflakes isnt it? ;)
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    85% of the UK has access to the gas grid whereas the US is more like 50%. The UK is doing well in the rich league table. Some people might think it is related to population density and access to gas, but clearly they would be wrong.