BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• elbowloh said:

Don't worry SC, *everyone* loses out.

but it was a personal upside that I had been looking forwards to.

my one remaining upside is that as we come into the lamb season they will realise they can not export live animals so will be competing in the global frozen market so making lamb in the UK as cheap as chips.
    So much so that the farmers will no longer be able to sustain it.
    and then we can return swathes of the British countryside to it's natural state
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,758

elbowloh said:

my one remaining upside is that as we come into the lamb season they will realise they can not export live animals so will be competing in the global frozen market so making lamb in the UK as cheap as chips.
    A state which hasn't existed since at least the Bronze Age. It would also cause the extinction of numerous species that rely on a managed landscape. But sure, so long as we get cheap pork chops for a few months.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

john80 said:

john80 said:

While I have no desire to revisit the bus, the idea that £350m a week is justified because it was a gross figure is, I'm afraid, nonsense.

The equivalent would be buying something that is reduced in a sale from £350 to £250, and saying you had spent £350 on it.

The gross figure after thatchers rebate that we had been deducting for 30 years would have been about £250m, and the net figure after payments received from the EU was maybe £160m. Which is surely a big enough number to get the desired effect anyway.

It was never justified. It was merely clarified as a factual statement at the time if you consider it a gross figure. The fact that remain spent so long labouring the point is probably one of the reasons they lost the referendum. Maybe if they had shifted the debate to all those worthwhile EU projects they would have won. I have given you some belters from my area that the public could really have got behind. I am sure you can come up with your own from the webpage. For the avoidance of doubt I am being sarcastic. You would have lost even more if people in Cumbria realised that about £10-20 million pounds of their money had gone to Natural England for projects to maintain, sand dunes, bogs and some mussels.

Here is a useful document that supports your figures however it unfortunately does underpin the definition of the 350 that was detailed at the time as well.

http://urbis.europarl.europa.eu/urbis/sites/default/files/generated/document/en/CBP-7886.pdf
    It was a complete and utter lie but a genius political move. If Remain said nothing it gave it legitimacy, if they challenged it they gave it publicity.

Did you know the ONS told him to stop using the number? do you not think him stopping using the number is a tacit admission it was a lie?
    It is not a lie. All three numbers are not lies. The gross, post rebate the net figure are all valid numbers that if the context is available are not lies. Without context it is misleading which was the ONS's take on the position as below. Given it was widely reported to be the gross figure any claims that it remained misleading are pretty dubious at best. Labeling it as a lie is a lie you keep repeating and one for the irony thread. Is the net figure a better number given how this is spent. You could have given 90% of the money to Peru and the people of Cumbria would not have noticed such was the inconsequential benefit they received from the money spent.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/leavecampaignclaimsduringbrexitdebate

As a spoiler alert the 3rd point that they made is not as damning as you think it is.

Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you happy with your choice. You might have taken the hint by now the rest of us don't believe it.
    when you say rest of us do you mean to highlight you're deluded? it isn't even half of "us" that's why the half wit bed wetting sky falling remainers lost. are losers and always will be.

It's a fact that leavers are more capable of assessing and appreciating both sides of the argument.

Which is why we are right. and you lost.
  • rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

A state which hasn't existed since at least the Bronze Age. It would also cause the extinction of numerous species that rely on a managed landscape. But sure, so long as we get cheap pork chops for a few months.
    Read the article - we aren’t getting cheaper pork products.

And we don’t keep pigs on the uplands.

No matter how long it has been managed surely it is better to return it to it’s natural state?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397

rjsterry said:

Well that lasted well. We are [checks calendar] less than two months in and already the party within a party + DUP is writing to the PM urging him to renege on the NI Protocol and start again.

And Stevo thought it was all done with 😂

Stevo's signature tune:

https://youtu.be/48BXn8z1iNQ
    Trust you to make a music joke to high brow for the rest of us... 😁
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,712
    ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

Well that lasted well. We are [checks calendar] less than two months in and already the party within a party + DUP is writing to the PM urging him to renege on the NI Protocol and start again.

And Stevo thought it was all done with 😂

Stevo's signature tune:

https://youtu.be/48BXn8z1iNQ
    Trust you to make a music joke to high brow for the rest of us... 😁
    He's going for the centre lefties smartarse points - again ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2021

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

No matter how long it has been managed surely it is better to return it to it’s natural state?
    I was referring to your comments, not the article. Why is some arbitrarily defined 'natural' state better than the landscape we have now. Are woodland species more deserving than those found in grassland? And which period do we go for? The climate is different now and would not support the same ecosystem of, say, 3000BC. Are you planning to somehow reintroduce aurochs and wolves? I mean you can't just reinstate half an ecosystem - you won't have the same balance of flora and fauna so you'll just have a kind of anachronistic ersatz nature. I see no benefit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited February 2021
    How can the EU change their populations mentality towards vaccines? Having people reject them will only lead to more mutations. This can't be good for anyone.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,818
    edited February 2021

How can the EU change their populations mentality towards vaccines? Having people reject them will only lead to more mutations. This can't be good for anyone.

About 3 months ago I posted a global study on the effectiveness of different measures on here, and it cited the likely problems some countries in Europe might have.

Didn’t get a single response haha
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    As well as Macron being a bell end with his comments on the Oxford vaccine, now Mutti Merkel has said that she is too old to have the jab at 66.
    Unbelievable when they are facing public reluctance to get jabbed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,050
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

I was referring to your comments, not the article. Why is some arbitrarily defined 'natural' state better than the landscape we have now. Are woodland species more deserving than those found in grassland? And which period do we go for? The climate is different now and would not support the same ecosystem of, say, 3000BC. Are you planning to somehow reintroduce aurochs and wolves? I mean you can't just reinstate half an ecosystem - you won't have the same balance of flora and fauna so you'll just have a kind of anachronistic ersatz nature. I see no benefit.

And then add in that we'd then need to import massive amounts of food, adding in transportation miles, and that a lot of the food produced abroad his a much higher environmental impact by being much more intensive and through practices such as deforestation, and that doesn't seem like the way to go if we accept we have a global environmental problem.

But hey, cheap pork.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,818

As well as Macron being a bell end with his comments on the Oxford vaccine, now Mutti Merkel has said that she is too old to have the jab at 66.

Just bad reporting rather than her not getting the jab.

What she was saying was that her cohort isn’t being done yet so she’ll wait her turn.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/26/angela-merkel-did-not-refuse-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-despite-this-being-reported
  • Stevo_666
    We had a Brexit team meeting at work yesterday. Lasted for about 20 minutes of the scheduled hour because there wasn't enough to talk about. I've put the next one in for the end of April on the off chance we need to discuss anything, otherwise it's business as usual.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

My idea of a natural state is what it looks like with no intervention by mankind, that removes the idea of it being arbitrary.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

And then add in that we'd then need to import massive amounts of food, adding in transportation miles, and that a lot of the food produced abroad his a much higher environmental impact by being much more intensive and through practices such as deforestation, and that doesn't seem like the way to go if we accept we have a global environmental problem.

But hey, cheap pork.
    You did not even have to read the article as I cut and paste the relevant sentence. Nevertheless I will take the time to write you a précis

THERE WILL BE NO CHEAP PORK
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

But hey, cheap pork.
    You did not even have to read the article as I cut and paste the relevant sentence. Nevertheless I will take the time to write you a précis

Thanks. I'm hard of thinking this morning, post migraine.

How about lamb?
  • Stevo_666 said:

We had a Brexit team meeting at work yesterday. Lasted for about 20 minutes of the scheduled hour because there wasn't enough to talk about. I've put the next one in for the end of April on the off chance we need to discuss anything, otherwise it's business as usual.

For your business.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

But hey, cheap pork.

How about lamb?
    If you buy fresh lamb then I am hopeful that we may be in luck, but to be honest most of my slim hopes for Brexit upsides have not survived close contact with reality
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

But hey, cheap pork.

How about lamb?
    If you buy fresh lamb then I am hopeful that we may be in luck, but to be honest most of my slim hopes for Brexit upsides have not survived close contact with reality

My prediction would be that there might be a very short-lived window, but that within a couple of years domestic lamb production, in the absence of government subsidy, would plummet, especially since wool has for a long time been entirely unprofitable (it costs more to shear a sheep than the fleece is worth). Frozen NZ lamb will put the base in the market, but it'll never be a bargain.

For myself, I go for all the cheap cuts anyway, as they are nearly always tastier. Can't beat streaky bacon or shin of beef.
  • ddraver
    What is the current state of lamb farming in the UK..?

I have to say other than noting the timing of the disappearance of the lambs from the fields on my MTB rides in N. Wales and the appearance of Half Shoulder of lamb ( 🤤 ) on all the menus at the post ride meal, I'm not really sure...
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2021

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

My idea of a natural state is what it looks like with no intervention by mankind, that removes the idea of it being arbitrary.
    Why is that a good thing? Why should we denigrate our input into an environment relative to all other organisms? All organisms impact their environment and in every case these impacts have evolved to further the propagation of that species; not some greater environmental harmony. To take one example, we have thousands of wild deer in the UK with no predators. With no human intervention they would prevent woodland from establishing, so unused farmland would not return to its 'natural' state, but to a new 'Richmond Park without the café and footpaths' unmanaged state, supporting a different ecosystem. 'Natural' is an invented concept. We are part of the our environment, not some external observers. We perhaps have greater awareness of our impact than other organisms; that is all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• S
    ddraver said:

What is the current state of lamb farming in the UK..?

I have to say other than noting the timing of the disappearance of the lambs from the fields on my MTB rides in N. Wales and the appearance of Half Shoulder of lamb ( 🤤 ) on all the menus at the post ride meal, I'm not really sure...

Problem is that they operate at the premium end of the market selling fresh meat into the EU. If that is not possible they will have to slaughter in the UK and freeze so will have prices set by NZ.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

Why is that a good thing? Why should we denigrate our input into an environment relative to all other organisms? All organisms impact their environment and in every case these impacts have evolved to further the propagation of that species; not some greater environmental harmony. To take one example, we have thousands of wild deer in the UK with no predators. With no human intervention they would prevent woodland from establishing, so unused farmland would not return to its 'natural' state, but to a new 'Richmond Park without the café and footpaths' unmanaged state, supporting a different ecosystem. 'Natural' is an invented concept. We are part of the our environment, not some external observers. We perhaps have greater awareness of our impact than other organisms; that is all.

Exactly so. All the UK 'wildernesses' are entirely created, few more so than Dartmoor. It always makes me laugh when people talk about this as some natural wild space,, when it's probably one of the most intensely human creations, from the deforestation from the bronze age, to the industrial exploitation of it in the 19th century, to the careful use of farm stock in the later 20th century in order to keep a balance of vegetation and habitats that also benefit wildlife. The management is quite intense to preserve this 'wilderness'.
  • ddraver
    I'm conflicted...

I do like the barren wilderness of Dartmoor (it was great yesterday in the sun), but dude it would have been an EPIC place to MTB if it was still all forest singletrack!
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think we should reintroduce lynx and wolves in some places...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

For your business.
    That's what I was commenting on, as you can see.

Its a good example of how behind a lot of the residual noise many businesses are getting on with it, which is a much better plan of action than crying over spilt milk.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

For your business.
    many businesses are getting on with it, which is a much better plan of action than going bust because the thing you sell can't be sold any more thanks to a bunch of wreckers.
    FTFY
  • As well as Macron being a bell end with his comments on the Oxford vaccine, now Mutti Merkel has said that she is too old to have the jab at 66.

She is 68, and is too old to have the jab in Germany. She was asked "will you have the astra zeneca vaccine?", and answered "I'm 68, it is not approved for me to use". Not controversial, I don't think.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

For your business.
    many businesses are getting on with it, which is a much better plan of action than going bust because the thing you sell can't be sold any more thanks to a bunch of wreckers.
    FTFY
    Doesn't apply to the case I'm commenting on.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    edited February 2021
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

The deer have no predators because of us though right? Stick a few wolves in Richmond Park. Good for game management and lap times.

On a less tongue in cheek note, we should denigrate our input because it is, on the whole, bad.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono