BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

@Stevo_666 can I ask what Industry / sector you're in?

Because there is a shed-load of continuing issues in Food. Which is kind of relevant to everyone who eats i.e. everyone.

And yes, we don't need to eat shellfish, but a lot of our biggest consumption / manufactured products rely on imports / exports, for inputs (ingredients, packaging etc) or exporting finished goods.

Any cost increases (because of additional trade friction or increased transport costs) impacts the end consumer due to the relative (compared to cars, TVs etc) low price of food items and the fact food isn't discretionary spend. Sadly, many of those who voted for Brexit (lower income households in deprived areas) will be disproportionately impacted, as they spend relatively more of their disposable income on food.

It's also pretty important for jobs:

The food sector in GB employed 3.5 million people in Q1 2018 (3.9 million if agriculture and fishing are included along with self-employed farmers), a 1.0% increase on a year earlier. It covered 12% of GB employment in Q1 2018 (13% if agriculture and fishing are included along with self-employed farmers).

400K jobs are in manufacturing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-food-chain#:~:text=The food sector3 in,with self-employed farmers).

Not sure there is a ready made pigeon hole for what we do as we provide a mix of hardware and services. But for the hardware side which is what is in point here, I would describe us as electronic equipment. Without giving too much away....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Glad things are going well Stevo. Is this for imports? Hopefully that will start feeding through to exports. We're still having a censored time of things and not much moving and very slowly. Had paperwork for a pallet to Ireland stuck with the brokers since Thursday. Hoping to get things released with a view to delivering the pallet early next week.

As with all things this will get quicker but I definitely took for granted sticking a delivery label on a box and it turning up in Ireland or Belgium 48 hours later.

Thanks SBA. The majority of our flows in relation to the UK are imports from NL (most kit is manufactured in the Far East, enters the Europe Middle East & Africa 'EMEA' region via NL and then gets distributed around the region from there). We also have some manufacturing here in the UK that goes in the opposite direction - to NL and from there gets shipped around EMEA.

We had some issues with brokers running out of capacity or making errors, but very little opportunity to switch as most other carriers were maxed out. That has now been rectified by the carrier in question. The other big problem was the log jam in the Dutch ports, partly down to issues with the Port Base system and partly down to we are told over zealous customs inspectors (confiscating ham sandwiches was symptomatic of the approach). There is still some delay there but maybe they have been told to be more pragmatic and stop acting like ****holes?
    Good to hear. Thankfully things do seem to be getting better. It's still taking a week to get things delivered but now that is the case we can plan accordingly and adjust stock levels etc.
    I suppose that once you can plan for it then it becomes easier, but hopefully those lead times will reduce.

Out of interest, what are the main delaying factors for you and if you're happy to say on here, what sector are you in?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Because there is a shed-load of continuing issues in Food. Which is kind of relevant to everyone who eats i.e. everyone.

And yes, we don't need to eat shellfish, but a lot of our biggest consumption / manufactured products rely on imports / exports, for inputs (ingredients, packaging etc) or exporting finished goods.

Any cost increases (because of additional trade friction or increased transport costs) impacts the end consumer due to the relative (compared to cars, TVs etc) low price of food items and the fact food isn't discretionary spend. Sadly, many of those who voted for Brexit (lower income households in deprived areas) will be disproportionately impacted, as they spend relatively more of their disposable income on food.

The food sector in GB employed 3.5 million people in Q1 2018 (3.9 million if agriculture and fishing are included along with self-employed farmers), a 1.0% increase on a year earlier. It covered 12% of GB employment in Q1 2018 (13% if agriculture and fishing are included along with self-employed farmers).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/food-statistics-pocketbook-2017/food-statistics-in-your-pocket-2017-food-chain#:~:text=The food sector3 in,with self-employed farmers).

Not sure there is a ready made pigeon hole for what we do as we provide a mix of hardware and services. But for the hardware side which is what is in point here, I would describe us as electronic equipment. Without giving too much away....
    Ok - so not stuff that average man in the street needs to buy everyday.

Not looking for a fight, but am highlighting that while it may be looking ok for one type of business, there are plenty that are having issues, and those issues have potential serious consequences for many people's jobs and the population at large.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Not looking for a fight, but am highlighting that while it may be looking ok for one type of business, there are plenty that are having issues, and those issues have potential serious consequences for many people's jobs and the population at large.
    Fair enough, I can only comment in detail on my own groups operations, although the evidence we have had from comparable groups and the 'grapevine' is similar, with one noticeable differentiator being how well they prepped for this.

On the food side I can only comment as a consumer and haven't noticed anything amiss in terms of shortages or price hikes.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Glad things are going well Stevo. Is this for imports? Hopefully that will start feeding through to exports. We're still having a censored time of things and not much moving and very slowly. Had paperwork for a pallet to Ireland stuck with the brokers since Thursday. Hoping to get things released with a view to delivering the pallet early next week.

As with all things this will get quicker but I definitely took for granted sticking a delivery label on a box and it turning up in Ireland or Belgium 48 hours later.

Thanks SBA. The majority of our flows in relation to the UK are imports from NL (most kit is manufactured in the Far East, enters the Europe Middle East & Africa 'EMEA' region via NL and then gets distributed around the region from there). We also have some manufacturing here in the UK that goes in the opposite direction - to NL and from there gets shipped around EMEA.

We had some issues with brokers running out of capacity or making errors, but very little opportunity to switch as most other carriers were maxed out. That has now been rectified by the carrier in question. The other big problem was the log jam in the Dutch ports, partly down to issues with the Port Base system and partly down to we are told over zealous customs inspectors (confiscating ham sandwiches was symptomatic of the approach). There is still some delay there but maybe they have been told to be more pragmatic and stop acting like ****holes?
    Good to hear. Thankfully things do seem to be getting better. It's still taking a week to get things delivered but now that is the case we can plan accordingly and adjust stock levels etc.
    I suppose that once you can plan for it then it becomes easier, but hopefully those lead times will reduce.

Out of interest, what are the main delaying factors for you and if you're happy to say on here, what sector are you in?
    I'm sure they will come down.

The major issues were couriers simply not exporting because of the issues with paperwork. As we send pallets we were getting caught up with other companies deliveries on the wagon having incorrect paperwork. Also, big delays getting paperwork approved by the brokers.

Seem to be getting there now though which is good news. The burden of the extra paperwork is something we will have to live with and adapt as we go forwards. As with everything we will get quicker and more efficient with experience.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2021

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm sure they will come down.

The major issues were couriers simply not exporting because of the issues with paperwork. As we send pallets we were getting caught up with other companies deliveries on the wagon having incorrect paperwork. Also, big delays getting paperwork approved by the brokers.

Seem to be getting there now though which is good news. The burden of the extra paperwork is something we will have to live with and adapt as we go forwards. As with everything we will get quicker and more efficient with experience.
    OK, that was one issue for us, although we are not usually sharing trailers - which may explain why it has been easier for us in that respect. The carriers and us are now better at it as you say.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I reckon Steve-o works for a defence contractor.

Skynet perchance?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,600

And Michael Gove should accept that there isn't an issue with the agreement regarding Northern Ireland. It's all fine.

Agreement in NI protocol is that the joint committee will agree stuff to make it work better. Gove is part of the joint committee and is making proposals to make it work better. That doesn't mean he is looking to break the agreement which allows for such discussions.

• And Michael Gove should accept that there isn't an issue with the agreement regarding Northern Ireland. It's all fine.

Agreement in NI protocol is that the joint committee will agree stuff to make it work better. Gove is part of the joint committee and is making proposals to make it work better. That doesn't mean he is looking to break the agreement which allows for such discussions.

He's saying the three month grace period should last for two years. That doesn't sound like what they agreed is currently workable.
  • TheBigBean

And Michael Gove should accept that there isn't an issue with the agreement regarding Northern Ireland. It's all fine.

He's saying the three month grace period should last for two years. That doesn't sound like what they agreed is currently workable.
    That doesn't mean it's wrong. It's a dynamic procotol. Agree something -> problems -> fix.

Ultimately it needs to pass the democratic test in four years. It is in both side's interest to try to make that happen. That's why the protocol is actually quite a good solution.
  • elbowloh

That doesn't mean it's wrong. It's a dynamic procotol. Agree something -> problems -> fix.

Ultimately it needs to pass the democratic test in four years. It is in both side's interest to try to make that happen. That's why the protocol is actually quite a good solution.
    Apart from the bit about it not working you mean? 😅
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666 said:

We've been reasonably lucky but I'm sure there are other industries which will really be struggling. I think they deserve empathy from both sides of the argument and they definitely need the Government to step up to help them as empathy alone isn't going to save jobs. Until the Government admits that Brexit has it's downsides and mitigates for them they're in the sh1t unfortunately.

Steveo is also correct though and it's surprised me how unprepared some big businesses have been.
  • Stevo_666 said:

We've been reasonably lucky but I'm sure there are other industries which will really be struggling. I think they deserve empathy from both sides of the argument and they definitely need the Government to step up to help them as empathy alone isn't going to save jobs. Until the Government admits that Brexit has it's downsides and mitigates for them they're in the censored unfortunately.

Steveo is also correct though and it's surprised me how unprepared some big businesses have been.
    The fish people have got exactly what they voted for, the whole concept of empathy for them baffles me. Are we helping them celebrate taking back control?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Here’s a question SC - what do you think made the fishermen believe BoJo et al that it would be glorious?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Here’s a question SC - what do you think made the fishermen believe BoJo et al that it would be glorious?

They believed the carp that anything to the contrary was project fear.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178

Here's a winning argument against Scottish independence from... erm...

i always assumed it'd cost the english tax payer less, plus it'd annoy the brexiters, win win, let 'em vote on it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178

gullibility and a lack of intellectual rigor?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Skynet perchance?

Interesting, what makes you think that?

Not the skynet bit, obviously...
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

We've been reasonably lucky but I'm sure there are other industries which will really be struggling. I think they deserve empathy from both sides of the argument and they definitely need the Government to step up to help them as empathy alone isn't going to save jobs. Until the Government admits that Brexit has it's downsides and mitigates for them they're in the censored unfortunately.

I was also pretty surprised at how little some large multinationals did to prepare. We set up a 'task force' in March 2016 and I was the mug who volunteered to coordinate it. In my regular chats with advisors on what others were doing, seems as if quite a few of their other clients really weren't doing their homework. And it wasn't that difficult for an average big group that put it's mind to the task.

Its been a bit of a journey but I'm taking my foot off the pedal now.
  • elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Its not a question of burying heads in sand, as I said you'll just have to wait and watch. Or maybe throw yourself into that rejoin campaign, it will be good for you to focus on positive things. Fyi my group has now had a week on the trot with our key brexit indicators on 'green', so it is looking more like things are settling down in reality.

The important point for some of you lot is to stop crying over spilt milk. This whole thread is now looking like an increasingly frustrated rearguard action by a bunch of people who are desperate to get their 'I told you so' t-shirts printed.

So you're getting the t-shirt printed anyway? :)
    I think we need the pack of cards done.
    What, with a whiney version of Top Trumps on them?
    The whole gang, whatever suit.
    Ha, I have a pack of the iraq war most wanted cards.
  • Stevo_666

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Its not a question of burying heads in sand, as I said you'll just have to wait and watch. Or maybe throw yourself into that rejoin campaign, it will be good for you to focus on positive things. Fyi my group has now had a week on the trot with our key brexit indicators on 'green', so it is looking more like things are settling down in reality.

The important point for some of you lot is to stop crying over spilt milk. This whole thread is now looking like an increasingly frustrated rearguard action by a bunch of people who are desperate to get their 'I told you so' t-shirts printed.

So you're getting the t-shirt printed anyway? :)
    I think we need the pack of cards done.
    What, with a whiney version of Top Trumps on them?
    The whole gang, whatever suit.
    Ha, I have a pack of the iraq war most wanted cards.
    I have a pack of 'Totty Trumps' in the loft somewhere.
  • Here’s a question SC - what do you think made the fishermen believe BoJo et al that it would be glorious?

It is a good question and I have a couple of theories

I think he is very good at telling people lies that they want to believe.

They are so used to a subsidy culture that they believe the Govt will provide for them

The 3rd possibility is that they really are that thick but whilst many of them are the ones being interviewed don’t seem to have any obvious mental health issues.
  • sungod said:

Here's a winning argument against Scottish independence from... erm...

i always assumed it'd cost the english tax payer less, plus it'd annoy the brexiters, win win, let 'em vote on it

That is a mind boggling headline.

Is it the first time one of the inner circle has admitted Brexit will harm the economy?
  • elbowloh
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Skynet perchance?

Interesting, what makes you think that?

Not the skynet bit, obviously...
    Just a guess
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey

They are so used to a subsidy culture that they believe the Govt will provide for them

The 3rd possibility is that they really are that thick but whilst many of them are the ones being interviewed don’t seem to have any obvious mental health issues.
    How about ignorance of the EU and what free trade really is?

• Here’s a question SC - what do you think made the fishermen believe BoJo et al that it would be glorious?

How about ignorance of the EU and what free trade really is?

As you know I believe that after 30 years virtually nobody understood the workings of the SM and the impact of leaving.

However they knew how much of their livelihoods depended on exports to the EU and many would have known how they were protected from non-EU imports.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,150
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I was also pretty surprised at how little some large multinationals did to prepare. We set up a 'task force' in March 2016 and I was the mug who volunteered to coordinate it. In my regular chats with advisors on what others were doing, seems as if quite a few of their other clients really weren't doing their homework. And it wasn't that difficult for an average big group that put it's mind to the task.

Its been a bit of a journey but I'm taking my foot off the pedal now.
    You've mentioned that you did well out of it personally. Do you have any idea what the total 'Brexit prep' spend was, say as a percentage of turnover?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021

Beginning to see the Brexit challenges percolate into my world.

UK boutique fund managers are scrapping plans (and hiring) to grow the client base beyond the UK, as to take continental money they need to have an office and a person of significance somewhere inside the EU, as well as an EU fund structure.

Fine for the bigger firms, but not so for the boutiques.

Ironically, the EU firms have no problems taking money from UK clients, so whatever was negotiated, the EU guys pulled a blinder there.

Is still up in the air but that is the current sitch.

The UK acted like a grown up and gave the EU equivalence to avoid mayhem. Therefore, EU funds can still take money from UK clients. For now.

No one will take the risk to open an office there in the meantime.
    Where the EU? I think some firms have already done that, but it is a hassle, or you mean in the UK? It depends on the sector, but ultimately, they will comply in the UK. The case in point is when the UK insisted non-EU banks capitalise in the UK. There was a lot of moaning, but they all did it.

Interesting the problem with the EU office is getting people to move there. So, it is necessary to find a jurisdiction that has sensible employment law, acceptable regulation and is somewhere people will move to.

Smaller UK managers who maybe only run a handful of strategies and have a saleforce of say, 3 people, all based in London

Had a couple of searches where they'd make a senior sales hire to cover Europe for them (previously untapped) but have been binned as they would have to set up and office and put someone of regulatory importance on the continent, and then have them set up the SICAV.

Where in EU? Who cares, lux, holland, whatever. That cost is far too high for such a small business.
    There are other options. For example, you can pay an EU regulated firm to do it for you. Costs a few % of revenue.

Obviously, in the meantime they are looking for the easiest option.
    That does not pay my £50-80k commission for the two completed searches though, does it?
  • TheBigBean

Beginning to see the Brexit challenges percolate into my world.

UK boutique fund managers are scrapping plans (and hiring) to grow the client base beyond the UK, as to take continental money they need to have an office and a person of significance somewhere inside the EU, as well as an EU fund structure.

Fine for the bigger firms, but not so for the boutiques.

Ironically, the EU firms have no problems taking money from UK clients, so whatever was negotiated, the EU guys pulled a blinder there.

Is still up in the air but that is the current sitch.

The UK acted like a grown up and gave the EU equivalence to avoid mayhem. Therefore, EU funds can still take money from UK clients. For now.

No one will take the risk to open an office there in the meantime.
    Where the EU? I think some firms have already done that, but it is a hassle, or you mean in the UK? It depends on the sector, but ultimately, they will comply in the UK. The case in point is when the UK insisted non-EU banks capitalise in the UK. There was a lot of moaning, but they all did it.

Interesting the problem with the EU office is getting people to move there. So, it is necessary to find a jurisdiction that has sensible employment law, acceptable regulation and is somewhere people will move to.

Smaller UK managers who maybe only run a handful of strategies and have a saleforce of say, 3 people, all based in London

Had a couple of searches where they'd make a senior sales hire to cover Europe for them (previously untapped) but have been binned as they would have to set up and office and put someone of regulatory importance on the continent, and then have them set up the SICAV.

Where in EU? Who cares, lux, holland, whatever. That cost is far too high for such a small business.
    There are other options. For example, you can pay an EU regulated firm to do it for you. Costs a few % of revenue.

Obviously, in the meantime they are looking for the easiest option.
    That does not pay my £50-80k commission for the two completed searches though, does it?
    No, it doesn't. Blame Brexit or the EU.

How about the possibility that the ones in the media are a vocal minority and the fishing industry is not united and there are many unaffected because they sell fish eaten by Brits.

Also you and I place no value on sovereignty whereas the likes of John80 would be a price to achieve it. Assuming this price is 10-20% cut in income then many fish people could still be happy.