BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Jezyboy said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Britain has the unique issues in over reliance on premium brands with either big petrol or diesel engines with possibly the exception of Nissan in Sunderland. If we had a Tesla style company or the ability to manufacture batteries then we would be in good shape. Unfortunately we just have dying industries selling products that become illegal to sell in just over 9 years time. Those workers making engines which is a large part of our Auto industry are out of a job in 9 years time unless they start making something else. Brexit is the least of their problems.

A gigafactory was in the news yesterday.

Would be good to see a manufacturer move into hydrogen. Very good opportunities there if they can make a car or van sensibly priced.

I don't think you can make the case for hydrogen unless you have a large renewable power process to power the creation of the hydrogen. But this is more of a hunch as have not done the numbers.
    I can. More renewables in places without grid connections. I think an electric car is better for someone with a garage/driveway who only does short distances.
    I think it also depends on self driving tech. Parking and charging on a terrace street becomes less of an issue if you're just getting uber'ed everehere by HAL.

Of course, self driving tech is a complete minefield and I would be hesitant to make any tech plans around it.

Interested by what you mean by renewables in places without grid connections? Surely not much of an issue in the UK?
    You can get 240v electricity everywhere, but you are quite limited where you can feed into the grid in any meaningful way. You need a bigger line and one with spare capacity*. If the place you want to build your renewables is any distance from said line, then you need to build a long connection potentially across other people's land. If it is offshore, you need a really long and expensive connection. Therefore, if you have a nice place to build renewables and access to a road, then making hydrogen may be better. On an international level, think about the Australian desert covered in solar panels.

*There is very little spare capacity at the moment and expanding it is one of the major challenges the UK faces.

To add, if everyone is being ubered everywhere without drivers then that points even more towards hydrogen. If you invest in a car to uber poeple, you will want it work as much as possible. That's hydrogen not electric.

Deregulation to become a market leader in autonomous vehicles is a possible Brexit upside.

Hydrogen tends to not stay in the tin very long. Small molecules....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,682

Jezyboy said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Britain has the unique issues in over reliance on premium brands with either big petrol or diesel engines with possibly the exception of Nissan in Sunderland. If we had a Tesla style company or the ability to manufacture batteries then we would be in good shape. Unfortunately we just have dying industries selling products that become illegal to sell in just over 9 years time. Those workers making engines which is a large part of our Auto industry are out of a job in 9 years time unless they start making something else. Brexit is the least of their problems.

A gigafactory was in the news yesterday.

Would be good to see a manufacturer move into hydrogen. Very good opportunities there if they can make a car or van sensibly priced.

I don't think you can make the case for hydrogen unless you have a large renewable power process to power the creation of the hydrogen. But this is more of a hunch as have not done the numbers.
    I can. More renewables in places without grid connections. I think an electric car is better for someone with a garage/driveway who only does short distances.
    I think it also depends on self driving tech. Parking and charging on a terrace street becomes less of an issue if you're just getting uber'ed everehere by HAL.

Of course, self driving tech is a complete minefield and I would be hesitant to make any tech plans around it.

Interested by what you mean by renewables in places without grid connections? Surely not much of an issue in the UK?
    You can get 240v electricity everywhere, but you are quite limited where you can feed into the grid in any meaningful way. You need a bigger line and one with spare capacity*. If the place you want to build your renewables is any distance from said line, then you need to build a long connection potentially across other people's land. If it is offshore, you need a really long and expensive connection. Therefore, if you have a nice place to build renewables and access to a road, then making hydrogen may be better. On an international level, think about the Australian desert covered in solar panels.

*There is very little spare capacity at the moment and expanding it is one of the major challenges the UK faces.

To add, if everyone is being ubered everywhere without drivers then that points even more towards hydrogen. If you invest in a car to uber poeple, you will want it work as much as possible. That's hydrogen not electric.

Deregulation to become a market leader in autonomous vehicles is a possible Brexit upside.

Hydrogen tends to not stay in the tin very long. Small molecules....
    Seems fine in all the things it is currently used in.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    It's almost as if they are trying to shaft British workers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    john80 said:

“Here you go. That’ll keep you busy until redundancy..”
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Tucked away is a single line saying they are going to start building the Countryman in Leipzig, which is obviously very bad news for the UK.
  • john80

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Tucked away is a single line saying they are going to start building the Countryman in Leipzig, which is obviously very bad news for the UK.
    I wonder how long it would take until the factory move was cancelled if UK consumers were to highlight the loss of sales as soon as a mini is no longer made in the UK. It will never happen because people are mainly self centred cock wombles.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

On a positive note, it secure some mid-term jobs but 100% a death sentence on your job.

The UK industry certainly needs to pivot rapidly and the signs are there's nobody leading that pivot.

Wonder how EV's an military procurement are being envisaged?
  • john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

I wonder how long it would take until the factory move was cancelled if UK consumers were to highlight the loss of sales as soon as a mini is no longer made in the UK. It will never happen because people are mainly self centred censored wombles.
    But this is what people voted for, why dig the hole deeper by imposing trade restrictions or boycotts on what people buy.

To protect the UK TV industry we limited the screen size of Japanese imports. There were all sorts of attempts to protect British Leyland. Neither of these policies ended well and any attempt to replicate them will end the same way.

British car workers who voted Remain have my sympathy but those who voted Leave can turn down the heating and warm themselves with the pride of sovereignty.
  • john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

I wonder how long it would take until the factory move was cancelled if UK consumers were to highlight the loss of sales as soon as a mini is no longer made in the UK. It will never happen because people are mainly self centred censored wombles.
    But this is what people voted for, why dig the hole deeper by imposing trade restrictions or boycotts on what people buy.

To protect the UK TV industry we limited the screen size of Japanese imports. There were all sorts of attempts to protect British Leyland. Neither of these policies ended well and any attempt to replicate them will end the same way.

British car workers who voted Remain have my sympathy but those who voted Leave can turn down the heating and warm themselves with the pride of sovereignty.
    They could always hold their own feet to fire.
  • john80

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

I am not proposing trade restrictions or boycotts from a central authority which are the examples given above. I am merely pointing out that consumers hold all the power in their hands but repeatedly refuse to use it. If they don't like the recession that is coming and the mass exodus of manufacturing then maybe they should think about their spending choices. Given a large number of things are discretionary spend the population of a country have more ability to influence suppliers choices than they realise.
  • pblakeney
    Let's see if I understand your proposal correctly.
    Your solution to a recession and manufacturing decline is to stop spending? Riiiight.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

I am not proposing trade restrictions or boycotts from a central authority which are the examples given above. I am merely pointing out that consumers hold all the power in their hands but repeatedly refuse to use it. If they don't like the recession that is coming and the mass exodus of manufacturing then maybe they should think about their spending choices. Given a large number of things are discretionary spend the population of a country have more ability to influence suppliers choices than they realise.
    What we need is Patrick mower extolling the virtues of the maxi, princess, 1100, allegro and mini. Thatsctheccrap you end up with when you remove competition.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Hang on a minute - you are now saying that Brexit will cause a recession?

I am seeing a long term decline in industries that rely on the scale and interdependence of the SM/CU.

I feel no obligation to pay more for inferior products because the are British so let's assume it is only the 26% of the population who voted Leave who are likely to join your consumer boycott. Assuming that a greater than normal % are economically inactive then this is not going to be enough cars to support the UK car industry.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

That's 2 of the last 4 posts on here intentionally try to misrepresent what you have posted here.

Even for remoaners this is a new high in the lies they are willing to make

• Just need Trump to get involved now, and it's a hat trick.

• Just need Trump to get involved now, and it's a hat trick.
    I guess it was too much to ask to lock them in a bubble like they did the cricketers
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited November 2020

Just need Trump to get involved now, and it's a hat trick.
    I guess it was too much to ask to lock them in a bubble like they did the cricketers
    I can see at as more like the Strictly bubble, complete with the glitter, costumes and sexual tension
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

On a positive note, it secure some mid-term jobs but 100% a death sentence on your job.

The UK industry certainly needs to pivot rapidly and the signs are there's nobody leading that pivot.

I'm aware of a small scale EV car company starting up, brand new company but backed by a self-made technology / engineering billionaire. Their aim is to get a factory up and running but also develop a hub at the site for major manufacturers to develop their EV production.

Many of the major manufacturers seem to still be a long way behind the curve on EVs and ultimately they'll end up like Kodak did, failing to adapt and going from household name to destruction.
  • john80
    Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

I'm aware of a small scale EV car company starting up, brand new company but backed by a self-made technology / engineering billionaire. Their aim is to get a factory up and running but also develop a hub at the site for major manufacturers to develop their EV production.

Many of the major manufacturers seem to still be a long way behind the curve on EVs and ultimately they'll end up like Kodak did, failing to adapt and going from household name to destruction.
    This is what happens when you let your national car makers get bought up because you don't support manufacturing over the decade long periods it needs. If you were BMW would you pivot your business within your home nation to the benefit of your citizens where you live or spend your money in Britain creating an electric revolution. I know what I would do if I was that German exec..
  • john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

This is what happens when you let your national car makers get bought up because you don't support manufacturing over the decade long periods it needs. If you were BMW would you pivot your business within your home nation to the benefit of your citizens where you live or spend your money in Britain creating an electric revolution. I know what I would do if I was that German exec..
    I would put my investors money where I could get the best return.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited November 2020
    Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Yup, car companies have been lazy by simply swapping the motor out on an IC vehicle. This is why the first cars were simply horse carriages with engines. It takes new entrants to design from the ground up as an ev.
  • john80

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Yeah global car brands dont invest more heavily in far parts of their empire than the ones close to head office. It's usually a lot more to do with self interest than the best return.
  • pblakeney
    john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Yeah global car brands dont invest more heavily in far parts of their empire than the ones close to head office. It's usually a lot more to do with self interest than the best return.
    Of all the crap I have ever read on this site, that is the most contradictory, stupid thing yet. And I've read a lot of stupid crap.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Of all the censored I have ever read on this site, that is the most contradictory, stupid thing yet. And I've read a lot of stupid censored .
    Ok given you are such a self proclaimed smart guy. Do corporations tend to do their big changes in tech close to their head offices and centres of power or do they seek a region that only exists to enable the brand to increase its presence in markets outside this. This is particularly pertinent to BMW and the British brands it procured over a decade ago of which only mini remain and this is shrinking all the time. Maybe Facebook will do their development in Ireland instead of Silicon valley. Or maybe they will stick to their centres where their highly paid staff are.
  • john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Of all the censored I have ever read on this site, that is the most contradictory, stupid thing yet. And I've read a lot of stupid censored .
    Ok given you are such a self proclaimed smart guy. Do corporations tend to do their big changes in tech close to their head offices and centres of power or do they seek a region that only exists to enable the brand to increase its presence in markets outside this. This is particularly pertinent to BMW and the British brands it procured over a decade ago of which only mini remain and this is shrinking all the time. Maybe Facebook will do their development in Ireland instead of Silicon valley. Or maybe they will stick to their centres where their highly paid staff are.
    And I said "I would put my investors money where I could get the best return".
    If they don't do that, investors money will go elsewhere or the board will be removed.
    It has nothing to do with centres of power, next to their office or whatevery..
  • pblakeney

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

And I said "I would put my investors money where I could get the best return".
    If they don't do that, investors money will go elsewhere or the board will be removed.
    It has nothing to do with centres of power, next to their office or whatevery..
    What he said.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,758
    The idea
    john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

These are the same thing. It's the fundamental purpose of any business. Massaging people's sense of patriotism is occasionally useful as a marketing tool.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

it seems like only a few weeks ago that you were happy to trade the UK car manufacturing industry for a blue passport and some fish. Could I ask what changed your mind?
  • Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

Yup, car companies have been lazy by simply swapping the motor out on an IC vehicle. This is why the first cars were simply horse carriages with engines. It takes new entrants to design from the ground up as an ev.
    it does make you wonder whether so many smart people are sleep walking towards their Kodak moment or whether they have a strategy. Could it be that with EV sales only making up 7% of the UK market they are happy to let others pay for the initial risks and then when common standards are agreed upon they will be ready to swing into action, leveraging their brands and dealerships to smash the start-up competition?