BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited October 2020

All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

What are the EU farmers going to do with all this additional produce?
    Sell it to us, I expect.
    So there won't be shortages then?
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

What will be the problem that causes the shortage?
    Delays and disruption at the border. Delays either way would cause disruption to the supply chain.

Longer term, probably just cost us more.
    For every Operation Stack/Brock implementation, fresh produce and live animal transport had been prioritised and these lorries move to the front of any queue. Why would that be different this time?

It is why there were no stock shortages during the 40-odd day Operation Stack in the summer of 2015.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I have to take an objective view and say that just because something might be a bit difficult is not a good enough reason not to do it.

However, as I don’t envisage the upside to Brexit, it does just seem like additional cost with no upside.

Wonder how the supermarkets supply agreements will handle spoiled produce that has gone off in transit.
  • Stevo_666 said:

All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

Delays and disruption at the border. Delays either way would cause disruption to the supply chain.

OK, so lets say there are some border delays for a period after 31 December. You might not be able to get exactly the type of fresh fruit and veg you want into the supermarket - a bit like going in to shop closer to closing time or the week before Christmas - a bit inconvenient but not a massive issue. Then when the supply chain adjusts, it goes away. The world will stay on its axis even if you do have do without your pack of favourite blueberries or whatever for a short while.
    I think that's what Mr Tesco was saying.
    A decent journalist (are there any left?) would ask what stock disruption Tesco experienced in the summer of 2015

Although it will kill their clicks for a scaremongering story as the answer would be none that were noticed at a customer level.
  • morstar said:

I have to take an objective view and say that just because something might be a bit difficult is not a good enough reason not to do it.

However, as I don’t envisage the upside to Brexit, it does just seem like additional cost with no upside.

Wonder how the supermarkets supply agreements will handle spoiled produce that has gone off in transit.

This won't happen as the transit of fresh produce has been prioritised during every channel delay since Operation Stack was first used.
  • All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

For every Operation Stack/Brock implementation, fresh produce and live animal transport had been prioritised and these lorries move to the front of any queue. Why would that be different this time?

It is why there were no stock shortages during the 40-odd day Operation Stack in the summer of 2015.
    lack of vets
  • All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

lack of vets
    Are vets needed for tomatoes and Oranges?
  • I'm no expert, and I assume Mr Tesco is, but we import more in the winter, because it's the winter.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

lack of vets
    Are vets needed for tomatoes and Oranges?
    How was I to know that is what you meant by live animal transport?
  • pangolin said:

Can we get it all from Norway?

Sweden, surely!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Not overly bothered about delays to fresh fruit and veg to be honest. We never used to have strawberries in the shops in winter, fruit and veg was seasonal. I'd be happy to see an end to it being shipped hundreds of miles because some hipser wants avacado instead of swede. As long as there are no delays on the staples such as crisps and chocolate it won't be an issue.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

It's obviously possible to reduce these percentages, but finding alternative sources or growing more ourselves is clearly either expensive or a longer term option.

Maybe people need to have a think about seasonal fruit and veg. It is very first world to think that strawberries in January is the norm and does not come with some environmental drawbacks.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    john80 said:

It's obviously possible to reduce these percentages, but finding alternative sources or growing more ourselves is clearly either expensive or a longer term option.

Maybe people need to have a think about seasonal fruit and veg. It is very first world to think that strawberries in January is the norm and does not come with some environmental drawbacks.
    Hipster food like Avocado is environmentally damaging and the human cost is horiffic too. But it makes a good filling breakfast before going on an extinction rebellion protest so it gets a pass :)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    Really reaching for the positives here guys
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    Barnier seems to have made a pleasant speech to the MEPs.

I think the question I would want to know the answer to if I was Frost is whether Barnier thinks he can get some sense out of Macron.

• spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Maybe we should start exporting salty remainers tears? their seems plenty on here! we`ll do a roaring trade and maybe import more toys because it seems many of them have been thrown out of the Pram! :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577
    spatt77 said:

Maybe we should start exporting salty remainers tears? their seems plenty on here! we`ll do a roaring trade and maybe import more toys because it seems many of them have been thrown out of the Pram! :D

no tears here, just contempt for whining brexiter traitors
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • spatt77
    sungod said:

spatt77 said:

no tears here, just contempt for whining brexiter traitors
    First bite goes to Sungod! :#
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    spatt77 said:

Certainly won’t find many buyers for this quality of chat jfc
  • john80 said:

I agree with your sentiment and even try and eat seasonal fruit and veg but it is not an easy challenge when you are used to everything 12 months of the year
  • spatt77 said:

Certainly won’t find many buyers for this quality of chat jfc
    I think you should stand in his shoes for a moment, it might help you be more understanding.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

This is the first world 🙄
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,685

How does it adjust?

By businesses and customs authorities etc getting used to the new way of doing things. I'm sure logistics people can fill you in.

And by the French not being difficult.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    This apologising for things getting worse, wtf.

Why not strive for better?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

OK, so lets say there are some border delays for a period after 31 December. You might not be able to get exactly the type of fresh fruit and veg you want into the supermarket - a bit like going in to shop closer to closing time or the week before Christmas - a bit inconvenient but not a massive issue. Then when the supply chain adjusts, it goes away. The world will stay on its axis even if you do have do without your pack of favourite blueberries or whatever for a short while.
    I think that's what Mr Tesco was saying.
    Effectively - not a massive issue.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    Talks are back on.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

How does it adjust?

By businesses and customs authorities etc getting used to the new way of doing things. I'm sure logistics people can fill you in.

So how does it get to the same flow as before?

When no checks become some checks you can’t bend time
  • Stevo_666

This apologising for things getting worse, wtf.

Why not strive for better?

What exactly are you referring to?
  • Stevo_666

Barnier seems to have made a pleasant speech to the MEPs.

I think the question I would want to know the answer to if I was Frost is whether Barnier thinks he can get some sense out of Macron.

Now there's a challenge.

Maybe a good idea to remind him that maybe now isn't the time to try increasing his own popularity by talking tough about the Brits.
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

How does it adjust?

So how does it get to the same flow as before?

When no checks become some checks you can’t bend time
    What if they do the checks on the boat?
  • spatt77

john80 said:

This is the first world 🙄
    We were the "first world" 30 years ago and ate more seasonally then, I actually preferred it, exotic fruit was a real treat and something to look forward too. if that isn't your thing modern farming methods may sort any shortage that could happen.