BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,873

Boris says no to resuming talks.

I'm starting to think that we should treat what Johnson says like we treat what Trump says.
    I have been. For years. It's just an extension of his HIGNFY with greater consequence.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

U.K. would have more leverage if it committed to the 4 freedoms but whatever

I get your point but you really miss the proportions aspect.

Even if the leverage of fishing was 100x it’s worth it’s still small fry...

If it commited to the four freedoms we would still be in the EU. God almighty.
    Er Norway?
    We are the UK or have yiu emigrated already in your head.
    You see in the last two posts you can see why brexiters get a bad rep.

Norway is signed up to 4 freedoms and is not an EU member. End of.

So this:
    john80 said:

is just stupid or lying
    Your rep is just stellar. Well done for Norway. Did they have referendum where people voted to leave the EU and cited issues such as immigration as one of their concerns. So compatible with the 4 freedoms. That is before we get into economy and population sizes.
    I called you out on this nonsense statement and gave you an clear and obvious example illustrating why it was nonsense.
    john80 said:

You can project all you want about why people voted but the govt didn’t ask why did they?
    There was quite a lot of polling done prior to and after the referendum looking to define why people voted. So it is not much or a projection. A lot of it would not be met by your proposals but you must be right and everyone else is wrong. The great and principled Chasey.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

the bishops weigh in on internal market bill

If ever i wanted a qualified assessment of a negotiation i imagine a bishop is who i would turn to.
    The IMB is not part of a negotiation; it's a piece of proposed legislation. Seeing as they sit in the House of Lords and scrutinise legislation, they may just be more qualified to comment on this piece of legislation than you.
    Do you understand the word qualification and its associated definition? Good news I suppose is that Bishops and those from Eaton are intrinsically qualified to act as members of parliament or the house of Lords in your head. The only shame is that lifelong union reps are struggling to get elected for Labour at the last election. That is really bringing the qualification level down. We were almost perfectly represented with high quality thinking before that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718

^^ when the world refers to 4 freedoms they are referring to this.

Norway is not a member of the EU.
    No one other than hardened europhiles refer to the four freedoms. It's a statement that comes with an almost religious level of belief.
    Well quite.

The single market on its own does not make for complete freedom of movement of goods - as the Norwegian and Swiss border demonstrate. If it was not the case, the customs union would be pointless.

Rick appears to be regurgitating the EU mantra without really thinking it through.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    Not exactly news though, but I did like this part...

"Allan insisted there was no need for the public to stockpile, “but there may be some things we have to learn to do without for a few weeks, possibly a few months after Brexit,” he said."

Cue the stockpiling. That'll boost profits in the meantime.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,067
    pblakeney said:

"Allan insisted there was no need for the public to stockpile, “but there may be some things we have to learn to do without for a few weeks, possibly a few months after Brexit,” he said."

I'm sure Johnson will promise he'll have everything sorted for Christmas. Though he might not specify which one.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330
    When will these leave voters start respecting democracy?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pangolin said:

When will these leave voters start respecting democracy?

“Bring back power to Westminster!”
    Oh!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I am trying to figure out why these Leavers changing their minds as reality starts to bite annoys me more than the unrepentant ones.

I can only think it is because they had all the available knowledge and ability to process it and yet now they say oops.
  • briantrumpet

I am trying to figure out why these Leavers changing their minds as reality starts to bite annoys me more than the unrepentant ones.

I can only think it is because they had all the available knowledge and ability to process it and yet now they say oops.

They believed people who lied to them, because they wanted to believe. Anyone who still thinks Gove isn't a shameless lying git isn't paying attention. Even Theresa May knows it, and doesn't mind showing it.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,765
    edited October 2020
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

the bishops weigh in on internal market bill

If ever i wanted a qualified assessment of a negotiation i imagine a bishop is who i would turn to.
    The IMB is not part of a negotiation; it's a piece of proposed legislation. Seeing as they sit in the House of Lords and scrutinise legislation, they may just be more qualified to comment on this piece of legislation than you.
    Do you understand the word qualification and its associated definition? Good news I suppose is that Bishops and those from Eaton are intrinsically qualified to act as members of parliament or the house of Lords in your head. The only shame is that lifelong union reps are struggling to get elected for Labour at the last election. That is really bringing the qualification level down. We were almost perfectly represented with high quality thinking before that.
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, or why you are bringing Eton and union reps into it, but senior bishops have sat in the HoL since the Middle Ages.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    In case you missed the bit in the second parahraph that provides some useful context, he is simply pointing out that we can't rule out the risk of a shortage of certain items in a particular situation. Hardly the same as saying there will be.

“We can’t rule out the possibility that if there is dislocation at the ports of entry to the UK there will be some shortages of some items of fresh food, at least for a time,”
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

It'll be fun watching the stockpilers on here trying to stockpile fresh food and veg :)
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

In case you missed the bit in the second parahraph that provides some useful context, he is simply pointing out that we can't rule out the risk of a shortage of certain items in a particular situation. Hardly the same as saying there will be.

“We can’t rule out the possibility that if there is dislocation at the ports of entry to the UK there will be some shortages of some items of fresh food, at least for a time,”

Thanks for the reassurance that this is all going swimmingly. That's a relief.
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2020

Stevo_666 said:

It hasn't hapened yet and may or may not occur - this is Cake Stop, not 'Minority Report'.

This thread has been full of people pointing out that because there are risks of certain things happening in future that the world is going to hell in a hand cart. This is another one.

It's not Tesco whingeing...
  • Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

It'll be fun watching the stockpilers on here trying to stockpile fresh food and veg :)
    Once again you have inadvertently hit the nail firmly on the head
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Talk us through your strategy for stockpiling fresh fruit and veg SC. As that is where the Tesco guy thinks the risk lies.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It hasn't hapened yet and may or may not occur - this is Cake Stop, not 'Minority Report'.

This thread has been full of people pointing out that because there are risks of certain things happening in future that the world is going to hell in a hand cart. This is another one.

That "this shortage of just a few months" might not happen if we're lucky and the boss of Tesco is wrong isn't a really terribly great selling point for Brexit.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Talk us through your strategy for stockpiling fresh fruit and veg SC. As that is where the Tesco guy thinks the risk lies.
    the nail that you have so firmly hit on the head is that fresh fruit and veg can not be stockpiled in the supply chain.

On a different note Honda say that to stockpile 3 weeks of parts for their UK factory would require them to construct one of the largest buildings on earth.
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That "this shortage of just a few months" might not happen if we're lucky and the boss of Tesco is wrong isn't a really terribly great selling point for Brexit.
    I'm not sure youve really grasped this 'risk' thing.

Or the scope, which is limited products (certain types of fresh fod) and limited time (while supply chains adjust to the changes). Hardly the 'people going hungry' scenario that people like Orraloon keep mindlessly trotting out.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Or the scope, which is limited products (certain types of fresh fod) and limited time (while supply chains adjust to the changes). Hardly the 'people going hungry' scenario that people like Orraloon keep mindlessly trotting out.
    Each week the bar is lowered
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not sure you've grasped this risk thing: he's saying there's a risk. I'm no expert, but I'm kind of assuming that the boss of Tesco is.

As I say, if the best you can do to sell me Brexit that this scenario of food shortages "of a few months" might not happen, I'm not entirely convinced about the prospectus.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,946
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I can imagine you'd be similarly sanguine if a Labour government had steered us into a situation where we faced shortages of fresh food?

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

the nail that you have so firmly hit on the head is that fresh fruit and veg can not be stockpiled in the supply chain.

On a different note Honda say that to stockpile 3 weeks of parts for their UK factory would require them to construct one of the largest buildings on earth.
    No, they just need a bigger forklift and a larger yard for the shipping containers.
  • non food items are obviously less important but after the year they have had I can not see retailers stockpiling anything as it is just too risky with C19.

I have said it before but from an economics point of view it really is exciting
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2020
    False deadlines seem to be an ongoing issue for this government.
    Manchester today. Real deadline - EU 00:00 01/01/2021.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I used to work there (in "assembly frame" or final assembly). It would need to be massive.

The whole model is built on just-in-time manufacturing with parts arriving just a few hours before they're fitting on the car. There is no parts storage on the site.

Having said that, they don't make nearly as many cars there now as they did when i was there and I think it's being closed down next year?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

I used to work there in Assembly Frame (or final assembly) and the building would need to be huge as no parts are stored on site.The entire place is run on just-in-time delivery with parts arriving a few hours before being fitted to the cars.

Having said that, I don't think they make as many cars now as they did when i was there and i think its closing down next year.

A new car used to come of the end of each line (there were 2 plants) every 90 seconds across 2 shifts.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk