BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    edited July 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Accepting you're leaving is very different from liking it.

We are leaving so we may as well make the most of it, as I've said before.
    Accepting it and making the most of it does not prevent one from whinging about it.
    You may have noticed. It will continue.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Plenty of ways to leave, Stevo...
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

yeah , and they all involve leaving the SM @ CU!
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

We should remember that Stevo's journey from Remainer to "No Deal Is Fine" has mirrored the Telegraph's almost exactly, in real time. Make of that what you will.

It does seem that some of us will never make the journey from voting to accepting democratic outcomes ;)

Part of that 'democratic outcome' should have included reference to the oft-repeated statements that "no-one's suggesting leaving the Single Market". Democracy seems to be a very flexible thing to the 'winners'.
    We`ll still have full access to it! just with quotas and tariffs if the EU want them.
    I am starting to understand why you voted Leave
    well Im glad the penny's finally dropped! but Im sure you'll knock me a graph up about how much poorer I`ll be no doubt!
  • pblakeney
    spatt77 said:

Which we were told at referendum time wouldn't happen.
    I didn't believe then, and it gives me the right to whinge now. Liars.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    spatt77 said:

Literally not but ok.
  • spatt77
    pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

Every politician on either side said a vote to leave would mean leaving the SM @CU, , if you didn't see or hear this i suggest you weren't paying sufficient attention at the time!
  • spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

We should remember that Stevo's journey from Remainer to "No Deal Is Fine" has mirrored the Telegraph's almost exactly, in real time. Make of that what you will.

It does seem that some of us will never make the journey from voting to accepting democratic outcomes ;)

Part of that 'democratic outcome' should have included reference to the oft-repeated statements that "no-one's suggesting leaving the Single Market". Democracy seems to be a very flexible thing to the 'winners'.
    We`ll still have full access to it! just with quotas and tariffs if the EU want them.
    well Im glad the penny's finally dropped! but Im sure you'll knock me a graph up about how much poorer I`ll be no doubt!
    His graph will ignore then tens if not hundreds of billions we would have had to pay into the EU's Coronavirus bailouts. But he will lie and try to convince you that we are poorer from leaving because you do not understand economics like he does :wink:
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

Literally not but ok.
    Ok, how would you control immigration, not be under the ECJ and stop contributions to the EU without leaving the SM@CU Rick?
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

His graph will ignore then tens if not hundreds of billions we would have had to pay into the EU's Coronavirus bailouts. But he will lie and try to convince you that we are poorer from leaving because you do not understand economics like he does :wink:
    Indeed, because its all about money for SC! Hes quite happy to live in a democratic country that others have fought for and lost there lives but would`nt lift a finger if the same was happening again!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,942
    spatt77 said:

The UK isn't leaving the Single Market.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,580
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Accepting it and making the most of it does not prevent one from whinging about it.
    It's free country and of course you can do that, but unless you have a handy time machine to go back and try to change things, whats the point?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • spatt77
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

It's free country and of course you can do that, but unless you have a handy time machine to go back and try to change things, whats the point?
    Let them crack on Steve, give them 40 odd years then we can revisit the situation!
  • rick_chasey
    spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Literally not but ok.
    Ok, how would you control immigration, not be under the ECJ and stop contributions to the EU without leaving the SM@CU Rick?
    None of those things you describe are “leaving the EU” apart from maybe “under the ECJ” but I suspect it’s a clumsy phrase.
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Literally not but ok.
    None of those things you describe are “leaving the EU” apart from maybe “under the ECJ” but I suspect it’s a clumsy phrase.
    you suspect wrong!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Indeed, because its all about money for SC! Hes quite happy to live in a democratic country that others have fought for and lost there lives but would`nt lift a finger if the same was happening again!
    I suspect that you haven’t fought in any European wars either.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    webboo said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's the EU for you, bringing peace and cooperation to a continent, stopping twatt77 from dying in another european conflict.
  • spatt77
    webboo said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

doesnt mean i would`nt if asked though!
  • pblakeney
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Get's it off my chest and makes me feel better.
    Anyone else paying attention is just a bonus.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • spatt77

webboo said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's the EU for you, bringing peace and cooperation to a continent, stopping twatt77 from dying in another european conflict.
    Bringing Peace in Europe eh? Tell that to the thousands that died in the Balkans war eh!
  • Stevo_666
    spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Let them crack on Steve, give them 40 odd years then we can revisit the situation!
    They could crowd fund a time machine, that might be useful. They could then do a Cake Stop remake of 'The Terminator' where they send an assassin back in time to kill the mother of Dominic Cummings :p
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2020
    spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

Every politician on either side said a vote to leave would mean leaving the SM @CU, , if you didn't see or hear this i suggest you weren't paying sufficient attention at the time!
    But still wanting free access? Sticking to the cake and eat it plan?
    No wonder the negotiations are doomed to failure.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Get's it off my chest and makes me feel better.
    Anyone else paying attention is just a bonus.
    So why isn't off your chest already? ;)
  • pblakeney
    It's the gift that keeps on giving.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • spatt77
    pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

But Canada, South Korea and Japan have free access! why cant we?
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

A bit like Brexit itself then.

Anyhow fill your boots, it'll make no difference.
  • pblakeney
    spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

But do they now?

"We've heard a lot about wanting a "zero-tariff, zero-quota" deal between the UK and the EU. Ceta does not do that.
    Ceta gets rid of most, but not all, tariffs (that's taxes on imports) on goods traded between the EU and Canada. Tariffs remain on poultry, meat and eggs.
    It also increases quotas (that's the amount of a product that can be exported without extra charges) but does not get rid of them altogether. For example, quotas on EU cheese exports to Canada increase from 18,500 tonnes to 31,972 tonnes a year.
    It does little for the trade in services and in particular almost nothing for the trade in financial services, which is very important for the UK economy."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

A bit like Brexit itself then.

Anyhow fill your boots, it'll make no difference.

Makes me happy. And that's enough.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • spatt77
    pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

But do they now?

"We've heard a lot about wanting a "zero-tariff, zero-quota" deal between the UK and the EU. Ceta does not do that.
    Ceta gets rid of most, but not all, tariffs (that's taxes on imports) on goods traded between the EU and Canada. Tariffs remain on poultry, meat and eggs.
    It also increases quotas (that's the amount of a product that can be exported without extra charges) but does not get rid of them altogether. For example, quotas on EU cheese exports to Canada increase from 18,500 tonnes to 31,972 tonnes a year.
    It does little for the trade in services and in particular almost nothing for the trade in financial services, which is very important for the UK economy."
    So we have to worry about EU cheese flooding our market! oh dear, I`m so worried! and South Korea and Japan
  • pblakeney
    spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

pblakeney said:

spatt77 said:

But do they now?

So we have to worry about EU cheese flooding our market! oh dear, I`m so worried! and South Korea and Japan
    Just an example to prove that what you think you want isn't what you think it is.
    Sums up Brexit.
    Veronese68 wrote: