BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,774

Stevo_666 said:

I dunno, but maybe there's a difference between a group of countries who generally will benefit if you do well, and a malign country that wants to destabilise your system of government for its own benefit....

Bit late for that line of argument now...

As noted before, we've had 40 years of people pointing out why we should leave the EEC/EU, so just making a start here on the next 40 years. The argument doesn't go away.
    For some people it doesn't. But frankly most people won't see the point of trying to rejoin immediately after we have left.

Any rejoining of the EU requires full membership - so the Euro as a currency, no opt outs etc then good luck with that - and patience. Also will be interesting to see what the EU has become by time those conversations happen, maybe they will achieve the dream of the European superstate?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

Stevo_666 said:

I dunno, but maybe there's a difference between a group of countries who generally will benefit if you do well, and a malign country that wants to destabilise your system of government for its own benefit....

As noted before, we've had 40 years of people pointing out why we should leave the EEC/EU, so just making a start here on the next 40 years. The argument doesn't go away.
    The argument is not now, in the words of The Clash, 'Should I stay or should I go?' but whether or not to rejoin. A much more difficult argument.
    yeah , its a fair argument, lets give it 40 years, if leaving doesn't work out we`ll reapply!;)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

The argument is not now, in the words of The Clash, 'Should I stay or should I go?' but whether or not to rejoin. A much more difficult argument.
    Remember though Bally, issues like EU membership are far too complex for the peasants so they shouldn't be allowed to vote on things like that. So were were told by some people on here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Remember though Bally, issues like EU membership are far too complex for the peasants so they shouldn't be allowed to vote on things like that. So were were told by some people on here.
    Yeah, of course. Silly me. Then there is the thorny question of outside influence.
    Best leave well alone, hey what?
  • Stevo_666
    spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

yeah , its a fair argument, lets give it 40 years, if leaving doesn't work out we`ll reapply!;)
    I think 46 years is a fair amount of time given we spent just over 46 years in the EU IIRC. I'm sure it'll be top of my priority list when I get my telegram from Queenie.
  • spatt77
    yeah, but if we vote to remain will the pro EU lot know what they were voting for?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,374
    edited July 2020
    spatt77 said:

Im sure Russia is happy we voted out, however, Im not on Facebook or Twitter and spend little time online! Im sure some people maybe have been influenced by online content but that cuts both ways! quite ironic really that remain side are bothered about another country having influence on what goes on in the UK!

You do have eyes and a TV though. (I assume)
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

Im sure Russia is happy we voted out, however, Im not on Facebook or Twitter and spend little time online! Im sure some people maybe have been influenced by online content but that cuts both ways! quite ironic really that remain side are bothered about another country having influence on what goes on in the UK!

You do have eyes and a TV though. (I assume)
    and a brain, luckily enough!
  • Stevo_666
    spatt77 said:

yeah, but if we vote to remain will the pro EU lot know what they were voting for?

Surely if there was a future referendum about rejoining the EU, people who wanted to rejoin would be called 'rejoiners' and people who wanted to remain outside the EU would be called 'remainers' ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,958
    In the telegraph tomorrow

No deal now likeliest option.

Appalling.
  • spatt77

Appalling.

yeah, we`ll have to trade like we do with the rest of the world! oh , how will we cope! we`re doomed!;)
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    spatt77 said:

Appalling.

yeah, we`ll have to trade like we do with the rest of the world! oh , how will we cope! we`re doomed!;)
    Genuine question - why are you not interested in finding out the implications of this?
  • surrey_commuter

Appalling.

Surely that has been the likeliest outcome since we adopted the strategy of sticking to our guns because they always fold at the 11th hour.

And why no mention of the German car manufacturers?
  • rick_chasey
    OVEN READY DEAL
  • surrey_commuter

OVEN READY DEAL

That will be the Rwanda style deal
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,114
    That article seems to be completely based on shifting the blame to them furriners.
  • rick_chasey

That article seems to be completely based on shifting the blame to them furriners.

It is the telegraph....
  • rick_chasey
    So there is a theory is this is laying the groundwork for a sh!t deal as they can claim victory.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,829

So there is a theory is this is laying the groundwork for a sh!t deal as they can claim victory.

A last minute cave-in sold as a victory against the odds? Now where would we have seen that tactic before?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

OVEN READY DEAL

Technically a no deal is oven ready, so I suppose you're right.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

OVEN READY DEAL

Technically a no deal is oven ready, so I suppose you're right.
    I guess you could put a live chicken in an oven. Might cause a bit of disruption before it's ready for eating.
  • This is EU stupid logic :smiley:

I wonder when he will realise this fail :wink:

• kingstongraham

This is EU stupid logic :smiley:

I wonder when he will realise this fail :wink:

Christ, that's almost exactly what Trump says about tariffs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,925
    On the 14th April......
    pblakeney said:

Protectionism appears to be the biggest trend post virus.

These steps should come as no surprise.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Argh can you not see this is the way the world is going?

UK is striking out on its own just as all the big markets are putting up bigger trade barriers. It's nuts.
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

Appalling.

Genuine question - why are you not interested in finding out the implications of this?
    Im actually interested on how many times i have to tell you" ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY"!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,734
    It is an EU special that. The idea that [German] tax payers were giving money to [Italian] tax payers would have been hard sell, but this way, the rest of world will generously help out without any retaliatory measures.
  • surrey_commuter
    spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Appalling.

Im actually interested on how many times i have to tell you" ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY"!
    But you did not write "who cares? you can not put a price on sovereignty"

I took your answer to be sarcastic "how will we cope, we're doomed" which I took to mean that you see little or no downside.
  • It is an EU special that. The idea that [German] tax payers were giving money to [Italian] tax payers would have been hard sell, but this way, the rest of world will generously help out without any retaliatory measures.

Except the additional cost will be passed onto EU citizens :smiley:

We won't tax you more but you will pay more for the same items :persevere:
  • Anyone seen the breakdown of yearly country payments for the 2021-2027 EU budget?

I've only seen a recent pre-agreement figure of 1.075% of 2018 GDP.

That would have put the figure on the side of the bus at £590m a week.

We're gonna need a bigger bus!