BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Given you seem to all be siding with the French in all this. Where do you stand with the threat to shut of electricity to Jersey. Is this also reasonable. Your argument can't run both ways here. It is ridiculous that the UK is protecting its crown dependency rights but it is totally OK for France to threaten to turn off the power. This thread has as much balance as a seesaw with a fat person at one end and a 5 year old kid at the other.

The French can spend all day blocking ports on their coast however if you start to threaten to block ports on another nation then good luck to you. Would it be reasonable if the UK fishermen blocked French Ports. Would France be OK with that. It is just embarrassing now lads listening to your one sided nonsense.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    john80 said:

Given you seem to all be siding with the French in all this. Where do you stand with the threat to shut of electricity to Jersey. Is this also reasonable. Your argument can't run both ways here. It is ridiculous that the UK is protecting its crown dependency rights but it is totally OK for France to threaten to turn off the power. This thread has as much balance as a seesaw with a fat person at one end and a 5 year old kid at the other.

The French can spend all day blocking ports on their coast however if you start to threaten to block ports on another nation then good luck to you. Would it be reasonable if the UK fishermen blocked French Ports. Would France be OK with that. It is just embarrassing now lads listening to your one sided nonsense.

Oh mate it's not taking sides. Relax.

The whole thing is ridiculous and avoidable.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    john80 said:

Who's siding with the French? They're acting like dickheads.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    john80 said:

As I said, both sides are acting like idiots. Maybe read what people have written more carefully.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited May 2021
    It's a giant admin snafu, nothing more...

No doubt the Jersey government were given Xmas/NYE to design, test and implement a brand new, never conceived licencing program and...shockingly...it hasn't gone very well.

Johnson meanwhile gets to swing his dick about, which we all know he's very fond of.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

The supply of electricity is a commercial contract that runs until 2026 so I would not worry about that.

If English trawlers blockading French ports were sunk by the French navy would you be ok with that?

I think that you have been triggered
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640

john80 said:

The supply of electricity is a commercial contract that runs until 2026 so I would not worry about that.

If English trawlers blockading French ports were sunk by the French navy would you be ok with that?

I don't think there would be any sinking involved. Boarding and arresting perhaps.
  • TheBigBean

Sending the navy to oversee a plan to blockade a key port sounds fairly reasonable.

Jersey deciding to stop the overfishing that the EU has failed to do also sounds reasonable.

It was reported on the 10 o'clock news that it's not about overfishing but everything to do with the last minute licenses being issued which the French fishers feel have been foisted on them with unreasonable small-print.

It was reported that they were hoping for more of a conversation, and so because they're French they're protesting.
    Jersey say it is about overfishing. The French fisherman are saying that there hasn't been any warning. Both can be true.
  • kingstongraham
    As far as I know, I don't think anyone's sunk anything. Britain sending gunboats to observe because, I assume, that's what we have. What else are we going to send?

Jersey and France both seem to be acting like dicks.
  • surrey_commuter

john80 said:

I don't think there would be any sinking involved. Boarding and arresting perhaps.
    I think you would struggle to board and arrest an unwilling participant
  • surrey_commuter

As far as I know, I don't think anyone's sunk anything. Britain sending gunboats to observe because, I assume, that's what we have. What else are we going to send?

All the reports talk about the canons and machine guns, why mention it or send it unless you are going to at least pretend to use it to rattle the French and trigger your domestic audience.

Would we not do better sending the equivalent of a waterborne fire engine and hosing them down. Even that seems extremely dangerous and I assume our clown would want to avoid foreign nationals
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734

Would we not do better sending the equivalent of a waterborne fire engine and hosing them down. Even that seems extremely dangerous and I assume our clown would want to avoid foreign nationals

But that wouldn't be the front page of BBC News on election day.
  • TheBigBean

Jersey also has a power station that it used for two years from 2012-2014.
  • kingstongraham

All the reports talk about the canons and machine guns, why mention it or send it unless you are going to at least pretend to use it to rattle the French and trigger your domestic audience.

Does the navy have such a thing?
  • kingstongraham
    Mentioned earlier, but still great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY
  • surrey_commuter

They have had since June 23rd 2016 to order some and they are likely to get a lot more practical use than an aircraft carrier or nuclear sub.
  • kingstongraham

They have had since June 23rd 2016 to order some and they are likely to get a lot more practical use than an aircraft carrier or nuclear sub.
    And have they done that?
  • surrey_commuter

And have they done that?
    I am guessing there are more votes in aircraft carriers we can't protect and nuclear weapons we will never use rather than small boats with water canon.
  • kingstongraham
    Nobody really thinks they're going to start shooting do they?
  • surrey_commuter

that is my point - why send a gunboat to prevent a blockade by fishing trawlers? it can only be a populist measure to trigger nationalistic idiots

This has been coming for nearly 5 years so even these idiots must have a plan for dealing with stroppy french fishymen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

john80 said:

Oh mate it's not taking sides. Relax.

The whole thing is ridiculous and avoidable.
    But it's binary isn't it? If you are critical of the UK's reaction then you must support the French. There's no place for balance on The Internet!
  • kingstongraham

that is my point - why send a gunboat to prevent a blockade by fishing trawlers? it can only be a populist measure to trigger nationalistic idiots

This has been coming for nearly 5 years so even these idiots must have a plan for dealing with stroppy french fishymen.
    And my point is "because that's what we've got".

Nobody thought the soldiers sent to help the vaccine distribution were going to start shooting people did they?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Nobody thought the soldiers sent to help the vaccine distribution were going to start shooting people did they?
    Usually do in the movies when the mob breaks down a barricade.

Usually a chopper overhead to add to the feeling of intense situation and overall hysteria.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited May 2021
    Doub

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876

And have they done that?
    I am guessing there are more votes in aircraft carriers we can't protect and nuclear weapons we will never use rather than small boats with water canon.
    Spaffer also doesn’t have a great track record on expenditure for water cannons
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

You think there is a plan? 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter

so you send two gunboats to prevent foreign trawlers from bloackading a harbour

on the off chance they call your bluff

your analogy would be better if you used nuclear subs
  • TheBigBean

If the police ask you to do something do you assess their level of weaponry before deciding whether to comply?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

If the police ask you to do something do you assess their level of weaponry before deciding whether to comply?
    Fat bloke, no gun, no taser? Might be worth running.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.