BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    edited May 2021
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    morstar said:

am looking at potential thought processes.

I think that's your mistake tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver said:

morstar said:

am looking at potential thought processes.

I think that's your mistake tbh...
    A point well made.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited May 2021

elbowloh said:

I don't see what the government are trying to achieve with this, as someone who has worked for a certification body and knows about certifications and accreditations? It doesn't make sense.

Higher standards?
    For pressure equipment and the like? Not going to happen, it's pointless.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    This isxthe opportunity BJ has been hoping for. Be as awkward as the French until they do something stupid, then scrap the NI - UK border controls in retaliation.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Yep, the French are getting really riled by this. How petulant.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    If the French shut of power then it will be open season on them and the majority of Brits will not give two hoots. Some stellar drum banging by Macron again. He is so not winning the next election it is funny. What next is he going to bomb them.
  • ddraver
    Maybe he doesnt give a sh1t about British people and is playing to his home audience? Wonder who might have given him that idea..?🤔
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    ddraver said:

Maybe he doesnt give a censored about British people and is playing to his home audience? Wonder who might have given him that idea..?🤔

I think we are about to find out that English people don’t care about Jersey. If Macron makes us a decent offer we should let him have all of them
  • ddraver
    I think they'd be fine with that...
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Ni
    Gibraltar
    Jersey

It's a closing down sale
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Anyway, Barnier's book is out.

Cheeky bugger only published it in foreign.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Ni
    Gibraltar
    Jersey

It's a closing down sale

Only one of those is in the UK.
  • tailwindhome

Ni
    Gibraltar
    Jersey

It's a closing down sale

We didn't beat the Argies with that attitude
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

Ni
    Gibraltar
    Jersey

It's a closing down sale

We didn't beat the Argies with that attitude

I was just thinking, re Jersey... have the French still got Exocet?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

Anyway, Barnier's book is out.

Cheeky censored only published it in foreign.

I saw a tweet saying it was available in English as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    later in the year I think I saw...

translations and such.
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2021
    It's gunboat diplomacy now... it's all going so swimmingly well... what's the last time we had a war with the French?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/uk-hits-back-at-french-threat-to-cut-jerseys-electricity-supply
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

It's gunboat diplomacy now... it's all going so swimmingly well... what's the last time we had a war with the French?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/uk-hits-back-at-french-threat-to-cut-jerseys-electricity-supply

It's like a stupidity competition.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

It's like a stupidity competition.

Maybe Johnson getting to pretend to be a grown-up, playing with gunboats, will be seen as a plus of Brexit. And at least the boats haven't got as far to go as they did for the Falklands. What's not to like?
  • ddraver
    Anyone else reasonably sure the boats orders go right up to 21.59.59 tomorrow then run out..?
    - @ddraver
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    edited May 2021
    ddraver said:

Anyone else reasonably sure the boats orders go right up to 21.59.59 tomorrow then run out..?

😀. My thought exactly. Couldn’t be better timed for the Conservative campaign
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

That will play well with Brexit supporters and Daily Mail readers though. Nothing like showing your military might to Johnny Foreigner hey old chap.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Is there anything stopping the Channel Islands joining the EU as they're self-governing?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Sending the navy to oversee a plan to blockade a key port sounds fairly reasonable.

Jersey deciding to stop the overfishing that the EU has failed to do also sounds reasonable.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    In case it isn't obvious, various parts of the City are very reliant on the Channel Islands and the gov't will be very aware of that.
  • briantrumpet

Sending the navy to oversee a plan to blockade a key port sounds fairly reasonable.

Jersey deciding to stop the overfishing that the EU has failed to do also sounds reasonable.

If you read the original report, there might be two sides to the disagreement...

But not everyone in the local fishing sector agrees. The island’s leading oyster and mussel fisherman, Chris Le Masurier, is scathing and says the problem is not Brexit but the local government’s “incompetent bunch of idiots”.

“I am so drained after this weekend because every French fisherman I know phoned me to complain,” he said. “I have been dealing with France for 30 years and I’ve learned there is a way to deal with our closest neighbour,” he told the local online news outlet Bailiwick Express. “It seems that the new licences were sent out Friday and then everyone ran out of the office. It was a complete insult to the French. It’s as if an apprentice who started on Friday has issued the licences. This has all been done in a pathetic way.”

At stake are just 70 French vessels fishing mainly shellfish including scallops, whelks and lobster. Jersey issued licences to the 41 French boats over 12 metres on Friday but French politicians claimed that without any notice they came with restrictions on the number of fishing days and the fishing equipment allowed.

One French national assembly member, Bertrand Sorre, said a fisher from Granville who fished for scallops and whelks “on average 40 days a year” in Jersey waters had been told he would have access for only 11 days. “The anger is roaring and the desire to do battle is palpable,” Sorre said.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/jersey-fishing-row-french-threats-pretty-close-to-act-of-war
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

It was reported on the 10 o'clock news that it's not about overfishing but everything to do with the last minute licenses being issued which the French fishers feel have been foisted on them with unreasonable small-print.

It was reported that they were hoping for more of a conversation, and so because they're French they're protesting.
  • briantrumpet

It was reported on the 10 o'clock news that it's not about overfishing but everything to do with the last minute licenses being issued which the French fishers feel have been foisted on them with unreasonable small-print.

It was reported that they were hoping for more of a conversation, and so because they're French they're protesting.

It really is the Chris Morris The Day Today "It's War!" episode. That gunboats have been dispatched over a few whelks is utterly ludicrous. If only there were some supra-national body that could have managed such things...