BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited October 2020
    spatt77 said:

john80 said:

It's obviously possible to reduce these percentages, but finding alternative sources or growing more ourselves is clearly either expensive or a longer term option.

Maybe people need to have a think about seasonal fruit and veg. It is very first world to think that strawberries in January is the norm and does not come with some environmental drawbacks.
    This is the first world 🙄
    We were the "first world" 30 years ago and ate more seasonally then, I actually preferred it, exotic fruit was a real treat and something to look forward too. if that isn't your thing modern farming methods may sort any shortage that could happen.
    No one is stopping you doing this is not a reason for anything.

Love this claim that gridlocks in Dover & Calais are actually some sort of ecological panacea.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    edited October 2020
    Was 1990 really such a different time as regards supermarkets?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923

spatt77 said:

john80 said:

It's obviously possible to reduce these percentages, but finding alternative sources or growing more ourselves is clearly either expensive or a longer term option.

Maybe people need to have a think about seasonal fruit and veg. It is very first world to think that strawberries in January is the norm and does not come with some environmental drawbacks.
    This is the first world 🙄
    We were the "first world" 30 years ago and ate more seasonally then, I actually preferred it, exotic fruit was a real treat and something to look forward too. if that isn't your thing modern farming methods may sort any shortage that could happen.
    No one is stopping you doing this is not a reason for anything.

Love this claim that gridlocks in Dover & Calais are actually some sort of ecological panacea.

The whole Brexit thing is about an enforced reduction in choice.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

My guesstimate is that you'd have to go back to 1985, or even 1980.
    Fairly sure supply was more restricted in the '70s, just in my mind though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666 said:

How does it adjust?

By businesses and customs authorities etc getting used to the new way of doing things. I'm sure logistics people can fill you in.

And by the French not being difficult.
    Surely there will be reduction in trade due to increased costs and too much hassle. This will help relieve pressure at the border.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Talks are back on.

WAIT!
    WHAT?
    BACK ON YOU SAY!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

My guesstimate is that you'd have to go back to 1985, or even 1980.
    Fairly sure supply was more restricted in the '70s, just in my mind though.

70s, yes, it was. There was a Gateway in my home village, but there were at least two greengrocers, three bakers, two butchers, and two general grocers who delivered. Most of the stuff was very seasonal, and you could map out the year by the arrival of strawberries, Seville oranges for marmalade making, sprouts (wait till after the first frost), etc. There were still local abattoirs & butchers, dairies, and fruit & veg wholesalers. I reckon if oil had run out, the whole system had enough local capacity to work on horse & cart, at a push. It hadn't really evolved that far since the end of WW2, and (I think) on average, 25% of take home pay went on groceries.

We didn't live in a cardboard box in the middle of the road, BTW.
  • tailwindhome
    Cars worked in the 80s

That doesn't mean you can tear 40 years worth of technical developments out of your car, and expect it to run.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641

Talks are back on.

WAIT!
    WHAT?
    BACK ON YOU SAY!!!
    It seems they have agreed to work on the legal texts and resolve as much as they can by working every day. This is on the "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" principle.

This all seems sensible and is what the UK wanted, but it doesn't do much for the big outstanding issues, so I guess the plan is get a legal agreement together and then have some high level arguments about the big points.
  • briantrumpet

Cars worked in the 80s

That doesn't mean you can tear 40 years worth of technical developments out of your car, and expect it to run.

We could always go back to driving Austin 1300s, or Maxis... or even Allegros, with their square steering wheels (quartics, I think).
  • pblakeney

Cars worked in the 80s

I still have a desire to get a TR6.
    Best part is I'd be able to fix it if it stops running.

Follow on joke - I'd get plenty practice.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,922
    It seems silly to me that anyone revels in removing choice from other people, or even consider a Swede worth eating.

Fortunately, most avocados don't come from Europe, so I'll look forward to continuing to have them as a breakfast with my Sourdough.
  • I note that biscoff have now taken over the non perishable comfort food world. Will these get wavedcthrough if they stick a few raspberries in the truck?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734

I note that biscoff have now taken over the non perishable comfort food world. Will these get wavedcthrough if they stick a few raspberries in the truck?

Fingers crossed
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    edited October 2020

Stevo_666 said:

How does it adjust?

By businesses and customs authorities etc getting used to the new way of doing things. I'm sure logistics people can fill you in.

And by the French not being difficult.
    So how does it get to the same flow as before?

When no checks become some checks you can’t bend time
    Look at it this way. Clearly the Tesco guy thinks that business and customs authorities will adapt, otherwise why would he say that any shortages would be temporary?

Or are you saying that what he wrote is rubbish?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Has anybody mentioned the wine. I know it doesn’t go off not that it would have a chance in our house. But a couple of lost or slow trucks and me and missus could be in purgatory.
  • webboo said:

Has anybody mentioned the wine. I know it doesn’t go off not that it would have a chance in our house. But a couple of lost or slow trucks and me and missus could be in purgatory.

Could ruin the beaujolais nouveau mind..
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

I'm sure there is a nuance between a wine collection and stockpiling. 😉
    Both evaporate at the same rate in my experience. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

This apologising for things getting worse, wtf.

Why not strive for better?

There would be little point with you mate as you hold not value in any of the upsides potential upsides of Brexit.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    sungod said:

spatt77 said:

Maybe we should start exporting salty remainers tears? their seems plenty on here! we`ll do a roaring trade and maybe import more toys because it seems many of them have been thrown out of the Pram! :D

no tears here, just contempt for whining brexiter traitors
    The Brexiters are piping mad that they won. I accept that there was a case for brexit in 2016, but if you still think brexit is going to do anything good, you are certifiably insane.
  • tailwindhome

Talks are back on.

WAIT!
    WHAT?
    BACK ON YOU SAY!!!
    It seems they have agreed to work on the legal texts and resolve as much as they can by working every day. This is on the "nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" principle.

This all seems sensible and is what the UK wanted, but it doesn't do much for the big outstanding issues, so I guess the plan is get a legal agreement together and then have some high level arguments about the big points.
    Another good thread from this guy
    Don't know if you seen the one I posted outlining the remaining issues and possible resolution

The UK negotiating principles

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/organising-principles-for-further-negotiations/organising-principles-for-further-negotiations-with-the-eu

• tailwindhome

When Stevo reposts the Telegraph and/or Coopster reposts the Express, claiming Barnier has been sacked you know we're nearly there ;)
  • john80 said:

There would be little point with you mate as you hold not value in any of the upsides potential upsides of Brexit.</blockquote

Why don’t you list the upsides and then we will try and have a calm debate about them
  • briantrumpet
    edited October 2020

john80 said:

There would be little point with you mate as you hold not value in any of the upsides potential upsides of Brexit.
    Why don’t you list the upsides and then we will try and have a calm debate about them

Well, we've already started with the risk of fresh food shortages lasting only a few months...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641

Talks are back on.

WAIT!
    WHAT?
    BACK ON YOU SAY!!!

Don't know if you seen the one I posted outlining the remaining issues and possible resolution

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/organising-principles-for-further-negotiations/organising-principles-for-further-negotiations-with-the-eu

Yes, I saw the thread prior to you posting, but I was concerned it wouldn't pass surrey_commuter's Who on Twitter test.

Otherwise, I feel like his summary is similar to mine though maybe that is being a bit generous.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    edited October 2020

john80 said:

Well, we've already started with the risk of fresh food shortages lasting only a few months...
    Don't forget forcing those nasty millennial upstarts to have swede on their toast instead of avocado.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Talks are back on.

WAIT!
    WHAT?
    BACK ON YOU SAY!!!

Yes, I saw the thread prior to you posting, but I was concerned it wouldn't pass surrey_commuter's Who on Twitter test.

Otherwise, I feel like his summary is similar to mine though maybe that is being a bit generous.
    I have conceded that my dislike of Twitter is down to old age but I will chose to ignore it rather than moan about the formatting and provenance of the authors
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

There is little point as the last 1500 pages have shown. We could control immigration but some people think that is a bad idea. We could support strategic industries over decades which some will argue is a waste of time. We could amend the human rights act to give more balance but some wont like that. All of the above are upsides for some but not for others. Someone will be along in a minute to point out they have lost some cash so it was always a terrible idea and there literally coild be no upside ever.
  • Stevo_666

When Stevo reposts the Telegraph and/or Coopster reposts the Express, claiming Barnier has been sacked you know we're nearly there ;)
    We all know that the EU doesn't sack anyone for doing a bad job, as I've said on here before.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

john80 said:

Theres a risk of a lot of things Brian. Seems you're still clinging onto this Tesco article about the possibility of a short term shortage of blueberries as a reason to do a last minute U turn on leaving :smile: To be honest I've seen better arguments.