BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

In case you missed the bit in the second parahraph that provides some useful context, he is simply pointing out that we can't rule out the risk of a shortage of certain items in a particular situation. Hardly the same as saying there will be.

“We can’t rule out the possibility that if there is dislocation at the ports of entry to the UK there will be some shortages of some items of fresh food, at least for a time,”

Thanks for the reassurance that this is all going swimmingly. That's a relief.
    It hasn't hapened yet and may or may not occur - this is Cake Stop, not 'Minority Report'.

This thread has been full of people pointing out that because there are risks of certain things happening in future that the world is going to hell in a hand cart. This is another one.

It's not Tesco whingeing...

That "this shortage of just a few months" might not happen if we're lucky and the boss of Tesco is wrong isn't a really terribly great selling point for Brexit.
    I'm not sure youve really grasped this 'risk' thing.

Or the scope, which is limited products (certain types of fresh fod) and limited time (while supply chains adjust to the changes). Hardly the 'people going hungry' scenario that people like Orraloon keep mindlessly trotting out.
    Each week the bar is lowered
    In what way? It's been know for a good while that there is then potential for some short term disruption on cutting across to a new set of processes.

This isn't news, but as usual the whingers are on it like a pigeon on a chip.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

In case you missed the bit in the second parahraph that provides some useful context, he is simply pointing out that we can't rule out the risk of a shortage of certain items in a particular situation. Hardly the same as saying there will be.

“We can’t rule out the possibility that if there is dislocation at the ports of entry to the UK there will be some shortages of some items of fresh food, at least for a time,”

Thanks for the reassurance that this is all going swimmingly. That's a relief.
    It hasn't hapened yet and may or may not occur - this is Cake Stop, not 'Minority Report'.

This thread has been full of people pointing out that because there are risks of certain things happening in future that the world is going to hell in a hand cart. This is another one.

It's not Tesco whingeing...

That "this shortage of just a few months" might not happen if we're lucky and the boss of Tesco is wrong isn't a really terribly great selling point for Brexit.
    I'm not sure youve really grasped this 'risk' thing.

Or the scope, which is limited products (certain types of fresh fod) and limited time (while supply chains adjust to the changes). Hardly the 'people going hungry' scenario that people like Orraloon keep mindlessly trotting out.
    I can imagine you'd be similarly sanguine if a Labour government had steered us into a situation where we faced shortages of fresh food?

Tbh the bigger issues are likely to be caused by the French being awkward, but I'm pretty sanguine about that.

See also my comments above on duration and scope.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited October 2020
    Gove's 'disruption due to the EU bureaucracy' comments are finding the target market I see.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Not exactly news though, but I did like this part...

"Allan insisted there was no need for the public to stockpile, “but there may be some things we have to learn to do without for a few weeks, possibly a few months after Brexit,” he said."

Cue the stockpiling. That'll boost profits in the meantime.
    It'll be fun watching the stockpilers on here trying to stockpile fresh food and veg :)
    The usual have jumped on these comments but in reality it won't happen. Supermarkets fear losing market share more than anything else and being out of stock is one of the easiest ways to lose market share when a competitor has stock. As they are aware there is the potential for this to happen they will mitigate it via other supply routes or different non-EU suppliers.

Overall, the UK will still have stocks of fresh food and veg from non-EU sources if other supply routes cannot be organised. However their EU suppliers may lose their UK market custom and the excess supply will mean lower prices for EU farmers.

I'm not sure the EU realise they are negotiating against the market of the ROTW so they don't hold the cards they think they do.
  • tailwindhome
    Good thread on outstanding issues and how they *could* be resolved.

The clock is not our friend

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Just import fresh fruit and vegetables from somewhere else.

Easy.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928

Good thread on outstanding issues and how they *could* be resolved.

The clock is not our friend

The Telegraph has a couple of articles suggesting that some sort of deal might be on the cards - a vaguely balanced one from Jeremy Warner, and one from Alexandra Phillips that thinks a 'sellout' deal is on its way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/20/brexit-deal-can-still-achieved-even-not-particularly-ambitious/
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/20/ignore-theatrics-eu-negotiators-britain-heading-sellout-brexit/

Oh, and there's one from Farage saying the Brexit Party is ready for a fight if Johnson "takes the easy way out".
  • tailwindhome

Oh, and there's one from Farage saying the Brexit Party is ready for a fight if Johnson "takes the easy way out".

Nothing less than a no warning nuclear strike on Brussels, Berlin, Paris and Dublin is acceptable now.

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Nothing less than a no warning nuclear strike on Brussels, Berlin, Paris and Dublin is acceptable now.

They might welcome the strike as a way to bring covid numbers down. A very severe type of lockdown.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Can’t even get a deal done with Manchester even when they do hold all the power and leverage
  • Can’t even get a deal done with Manchester even when they do hold all the power and leverage

Manchester have negotiated an Australia style deal.
  • Can’t even get a deal done with Manchester even when they do hold all the power and leverage

In fairness Burnham had adopted the Boris tactic of holding a gun to his own head so there has to be a chance that Boris realises the stupidity of his Brexit position.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited October 2020

Can’t even get a deal done with Manchester even when they do hold all the power and leverage

In fairness Burnham had adopted the Boris tactic of holding a gun to his own head so there has to be a chance that Boris realises the stupidity of his Brexit position.
    Unfortunately there is no past evidence of this happening despite all the potential.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Just import fresh fruit and vegetables from somewhere else.

Easy.

there is a part of my that is envious of those who think like this - there is an argument that being positive is not a good thing and in the wrong job very harmful.
  • All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Can we get it all from Norway?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • It's obviously possible to reduce these percentages, but finding alternative sources or growing more ourselves is clearly either expensive or a longer term option.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928

It's obviously possible to reduce these percentages, but finding alternative sources or growing more ourselves is clearly either expensive or a longer term option.

I wonder who will pick all this home-grown fruit and veg...
  • All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

What are the EU farmers going to do with all this additional produce?
  • Stevo_666

Gove's 'disruption due to the EU bureaucracy' comments are finding the target market I see.

I hadn't seen that comment until I read your post today.

Sell it to us, I expect.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    So there won't be shortages then?

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

What will be the problem that causes the shortage?

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

Delays and disruption at the border. Delays either way would cause disruption to the supply chain.

Longer term, probably just cost us more.
  • Stevo_666

Just import fresh fruit and vegetables from somewhere else.

Easy.

there is a part of my that is envious of those who think like this - there is an argument that being positive is not a good thing and in the wrong job very harmful.
    You're in good company here then.
  • Stevo_666

All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

Delays and disruption at the border. Delays either way would cause disruption to the supply chain.

OK, so lets say there are some border delays for a period after 31 December. You might not be able to get exactly the type of fresh fruit and veg you want into the supermarket - a bit like going in to shop closer to closing time or the week before Christmas - a bit inconvenient but not a massive issue. Then when the supply chain adjusts, it goes away. The world will stay on its axis even if you do have do without your pack of favourite blueberries or whatever for a short while.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    How does it adjust?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Once again, the argument in favour of Brexit amounts to "well it might not be a bad as you think it will be".

How convincing an endorsement is that?
  • Stevo_666 said:

All we have to do is replace 76% of our fresh vegetable imports. We already get most of our fruit imports from outside the EU so it's only 41% of them.

Sell it to us, I expect.
    Short term or long term?
    Any term length!

OK, so lets say there are some border delays for a period after 31 December. You might not be able to get exactly the type of fresh fruit and veg you want into the supermarket - a bit like going in to shop closer to closing time or the week before Christmas - a bit inconvenient but not a massive issue. Then when the supply chain adjusts, it goes away. The world will stay on its axis even if you do have do without your pack of favourite blueberries or whatever for a short while.
    I think that's what Mr Tesco was saying.