BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

Sounds like the EU might not be that confident they have a competitive market place if they cant handle all those little Englanders diverging from them. The fact the EU cant do a deal with a currently compliant nation kind of tells you all you need to know about the EUs confidence in its offering.

Try and see it as us currently having the perfect FTA with the EU. As you say we are currently compliant but we do not like the sovereignty cost of that compliance so want to break it. The EU has been very clear that each reduction in compliance will result in a less good trade deal.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed.

The problem is that every other FTA in history has involved two economies converging. An FTA between two parties intent on diverging presents a whole new set of problems.
    Sorry, should have said - who said this? "Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed."
    Every FTA ever struck has assumed the parties are converging. How do you structure a deal when one side is insistent upon divergence?

That's just a catchy soundbite though. None the converging FTAs have one country regulating the other.
  • surrey_commuter

Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed.

The problem is that every other FTA in history has involved two economies converging. An FTA between two parties intent on diverging presents a whole new set of problems.
    Sorry, should have said - who said this? "Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed."
    Every FTA ever struck has assumed the parties are converging. How do you structure a deal when one side is insistent upon divergence?

That's just a catchy soundbite though. None the converging FTAs have one country regulating the other.
    If you think that is just a catchy sound bite then stop and think about it.

UK wants to impose it’s farming regs on the USA
  • TheBigBean

If you think that is just a catchy sound bite then stop and think about it.

UK wants to impose it’s farming regs on the USA
    You think a UK-US trade deal would mean that farmers in the US selling to Canada need to change their ways?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560

This is what I have been saying for some time. What the EU want in terms of regulating the UK is unprecedented and no right minded country would agree to it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Stevo_666 said:

This is what I have been saying for some time. What the EU want in terms of regulating the UK is unprecedented and no right minded country would agree to it.
    What the UK want in terms with trading with the EU is unprecedented and no right minded trading block would agree to it.

Both sides can play that game.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I'd have thought it was quite simple really. If you want to sell to a market then you have meet their standards. If you are not willing to do that then you will not be trading.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    pblakeney said:

I'd have thought it was quite simple really. If you want to sell to a market then you have meet their standards. If you are not willing to do that then you will not be trading.

Not what the EU are saying though. If the UK wants to sell to that market, then internal regulations that don't directly affect those standards need to align.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I've never read anything like that, especially put so simply.
    If so, sod it. No deal.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Jeremy.89 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What the UK want in terms with trading with the EU is unprecedented and no right minded trading block would agree to it.

Both sides can play that game.
    Which specific parts of our requests have not been seen in previous trade deals?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

You are confusing regulation of the UK with alignment of product standards etc. The former is the unprecedented EU request: the latter is a standard part of free trade agreements.
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

One of the problems with the Brexit debate is that it has become so tribal that when the EU asks for identical fishing terms and dynamic regulation, one side of the debate thinks they are being reasonable.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

One of the problems with the Brexit debate is that it has become so tribal that when the EU asks for identical fishing terms and dynamic regulation, one side of the debate thinks they are being reasonable.
    Not so much reasonable, as entirely predictable.

What were people expecting?
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Us to say I will swap you fish (0.8%) of GDP for services (80% of GDP)
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

I find that argument disappointing and it gets trotted out fairly regularly. If the EU is behaving in an unreasonable way, then it is not something to be admired, and dismissed, it is something to be criticised.
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2020

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Us to say I will swap you fish (0.8%) of GDP for services (80% of GDP)
    Not even Barnier is expecting the fish as currently proposed.
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

I find that argument disappointing and it gets trotted out fairly regularly. If the EU is behaving in an unreasonable way, then it is not something to be admired, and dismissed, it is something to be criticised.
    It is to be criticised for trying to get a deal that favours their own objectives?

Heavens above.
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

You are sounding very naive, this expected behaviour was part of the discussion on whether Brexit was a good idea. If you remember the reassurance was that they would still want to sell us Prosecco and that the German carmakers would ensure we got a good deal.

Whether you agree with the EU or not they are very consistent, presumably because securing agreement from all is so hard.

The EU’s position was entirely predictable and should have been part of everybody’s consideration when choosing to Leave.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Sure, let's criticise it. Then what?
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    It is standard in a FTA for "mutual recognition" to exist, we build something one way, the EU builds it another way, both are "well built" but in both ways it is built to a certain set of standards! The UK doesn't really want to diverge from this but cant be taking the standards from Brussels. Does Canada or South Korea take its rules from Brussels? `Im still waiting to hear about the EU wanting to Keep fishing rights exactly the same! :)
  • Stevo_666

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

The action has already been taken - the UK government has told the EU they can't have what they are asking for when it comes to having a say in in regulating the UK. Several times.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited May 2020
    We will be on the hook for a £53bn bill if we extend, from the current EU fiscal stimulus measures. I'm sure this will go higher over the next few months.

No wonder the EU are being awkward and want to stop us leaving the transition period. They've only ever been interested in the UK's credit card.
  • spatt77
    !ndeed, but the EU tend to listen to Blair, Clegg et al, "we`ll get a second referendum, and reverse this" that didnt really pan out for the EU either!
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Slightly more unified position across the country that is more accepting why no deal may happen. This in turn is more likely to bring about a deal with the EU.

• surrey_commuter
    spatt77 said:

It is standard in a FTA for "mutual recognition" to exist, we build something one way, the EU builds it another way, both are "well built" but in both ways it is built to a certain set of standards! The UK doesn't really want to diverge from this but cant be taking the standards from Brussels. Does Canada or South Korea take its rules from Brussels? `Im still waiting to hear about the EU wanting to Keep fishing rights exactly the same! :)

Can you not see the importance of the UK’s insisting on the right to diverge?
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Slightly more unified position across the country that is more accepting why no deal may happen. This in turn is more likely to bring about a deal with the EU.

The majority of the people in this country have no idea about the implications of no deal. Boris will stand in front of three Union Flags blaming it all on Brussels and boasting about how the British Bulldog did now bow before the yoke of foreign oppression and they will cheer him all the way to the poorhouse.

He knows the country is populated by gullible twats so why would he need to unify anything?
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

yes, but you can diverge whilst having mutual recognition!
  • rick_chasey
    spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

What in it for the EU?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

spatt77 said:

Insisting on the right to manage your own standards and laws is what all sovereign nations want as it is what they need to function as a democracy. This is different to saying we will rip up the rule book but it is pointing out that should the need arise in future if it suits their interests they will whilst weighing up cross border trade considerations. For example i will still be designing remote handling equipment to standards that are generally devised by UK, french and german experts in their field. This work will likely continue post Brexit. Ifni want to export it then i will need to meet the relevent countries standards. The idea that a country cant diverge is another EU overplay of their hand which they will rightly pay the price for.
  • spatt77

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

What in it for the EU?
    trade! but its at the expense of the single market! its a conundrum!