2015 Giro Stage 6 **Spoilers**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador said “In principle, there was a dislocation [of the shoulder] from when I fell. I got up, my shoulder was dislocated, and acting on instinct I popped it back in. I was scared because I thought I had broken my collarbone, which I have never broken in my life, then when we were at the foot of the podium it [the shoulder] came out again:”

:shock:

“To judge from the tests it seems like it was nothing more than it was dislocated and I have to be very careful to be sure it doesn’t happen again, so now I’ve got to try to have a good night’s rest and immobilize my shoulder at all times, and cross my fingers it doesn’t come out [dislocate] again and I can handle the pain.” Contador said.

Asked if he was feeling optimistic, Contador answered, “Optimistic? I’m going to do everything I can to stay here. I’ve been working a lot since last winter for this race and I want to continue in it. I will see tomorrow [Friday] if I can or can’t continue, but I hope so.”

“We’ll have some kind of protection [for the shoulder], first thing next [Friday] morning we’ll put on some kind of bandage, to make sure it’s as protected as it can be, but it won’t be easy. We’ll see.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    In case you are in any doubt it was the complete idiot with the camera that caused the crash, here is the slow-mo video with the point of contact magnified:
    https://youtu.be/2Ab7DxZJjrM

What a ******* loon! Imagine being that obsessed with getting photos of cyclists.

I know sense doesn't enter into it, but what is he trying to photograph with a 200+mm lens pointed at a large group right next to him? Needs a wide angle, not a telephoto.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Seeing Contador get back on to the bike and ride to the finish he seemed fine. Later footage showed him using his left arm to open a tent flap, again fine.

I hope he is truly fit enough to continue with the race. I hope he doesn't push his luck too far and end up writing off the rest of the season.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    From the official release, I would think he'll be fine. Especially if he comes through tomorrow's little jaunt.
    As for taking anything Contador or his team says in the next day or two as as gospel, I would suggest once bitten, twice shy.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    The only potential bright spot for him is that tomorrow only has one categorised climb so he can hope to just sit in the bunch all day.

Astana are going to put him under so much pressure on Saturday though. If it is still too painful for him to ride out of the saddle by then they will soon expose it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alberto crashes too much. What a lightweight, man.

Agreed, dude needs to work on his bike handling.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    1) Whilst I am aware that between competing sports persons they cannot revert to the law for injuries, as a spectator the stupid photographer is not part of the race.

As a comparable situation, I was at Selhurst Park many moons ago, when Cantona Kung Fu kicked the supporter. Had he lost his rag on the pitch the FA would have dealt with it, but since it was a supporter, the law also took over.

On this occasion, the accidental yet negligent assault/bodily harm is from spectator to competitor. Can't some legal action be taken against the stupid photographer? It can't be too difficult to track him down as he is a ticketed (probably VIP) area. Making him an example may highight the issue to others.

2) As for putting the spectators 'in a cage', how crass can you get? Why don't the organisers just use perspex. Its perfectly clear and no-one ever complains at ice hockey games that they can't get decent photos.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If he's at risk of risk of dislocating a shoulder in his sleep he should break up with Oleg. But seriously, how could he hold the bars if complete immobilisation is required tonight?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Rollemynot wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    tumblr_inline_nnusvrJWLc1qkh9q4_500.gif

ECHELONS ALARM

I was doing the etape caledonia at the weekend - there was a crosswind section and I shouted ECHELON......

Mmmmm felt rather foolish in an echelon of 1 :?

Ha ha! Good one you, however, if I did this I'd spend half my riding life shouting ECHELON into the void. :)
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    In case you are in any doubt it was the complete idiot with the camera that caused the crash, here is the slow-mo video with the point of contact magnified:
    https://youtu.be/2Ab7DxZJjrM

That is pretty definitive.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Macaloon wrote:
    If he's at risk of risk of dislocating a shoulder in his sleep he should break up with Oleg. But seriously, how could he hold the bars if complete immobilisation is required tonight?
    You don't have a lot of control of how you move in your sleep. So it needs to be immobilised as much as possible to reduce the risk of further inadvertent damage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    Contador said “In principle, there was a dislocation [of the shoulder] from when I fell. I got up, my shoulder was dislocated, and acting on instinct I popped it back in. I was scared because I thought I had broken my collarbone, which I have never broken in my life, then when we were at the foot of the podium it [the shoulder] came out again:”

:shock:

“To judge from the tests it seems like it was nothing more than it was dislocated and I have to be very careful to be sure it doesn’t happen again, so now I’ve got to try to have a good night’s rest and immobilize my shoulder at all times, and cross my fingers it doesn’t come out [dislocate] again and I can handle the pain.” Contador said.

Asked if he was feeling optimistic, Contador answered, “Optimistic? I’m going to do everything I can to stay here. I’ve been working a lot since last winter for this race and I want to continue in it. I will see tomorrow [Friday] if I can or can’t continue, but I hope so.”

“We’ll have some kind of protection [for the shoulder], first thing next [Friday] morning we’ll put on some kind of bandage, to make sure it’s as protected as it can be, but it won’t be easy. We’ll see.”

I hope he can ride, but I've dislocated my shoulder before and popped it back in without even realising what I'd done and while it didn't really hurt for the first few hours my god it gave me jip for the next few weeks/month. You pull stuff upon dislocation that only start to make themselves known later.

I hope Alberto recovers better than I did.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    AC: “The doctors have recommended that I immobilize my left arm during the evening and night, while I try to move it a bit with the help of my other arm to promote the movement of the shoulder. I will focus on this until tomorrow before the stage, where the doctors will come back to put on a layer of bandage for the race.”

“I will try to start tomorrow on stage 7, as I have worked very hard ahead of the Giro. I will try to continue until the very last moment. I’m optimistic about the start tomorrow, but we have to wait until right before the start to see what happens and how serious the effect of the crash is.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/ ... XOyK9II.99
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I dislike Contador who will always ride with a huge question mark over him. I see every one of his successes as tainted. Therefore, I do hope he's out by tomorrow.

I know his fans will continue to make excuses for him.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Contador saying the shoulder dislocated twice. First during the crash - which he popped back in himself and rode to the finish (which explains why he looked OK to the casual viewer).

Then it apparently 'popped out' again on it's own whilst waiting to go onto the podium.

So - if his should can just fall out on it's own like that, how stable can it be?
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Pokerface wrote:
    Contador saying the shoulder dislocated twice. First during the crash - which he popped back in himself and rode to the finish (which explains why he looked OK to the casual viewer).

Then it apparently 'popped out' again on it's own whilst waiting to go onto the podium.

So - if his should can just fall out on it's own like that, how stable can it be?

Probably as broken as his leg was last year. Plays right into his hands this crash again...
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ah it's a shame. He's good value.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Lucan2 wrote:
    I dislike Contador who will always ride with a huge question mark over him. I see every one of his successes as tainted. Therefore, I do hope he's out by tomorrow.

I know his fans will continue to make excuses for him.

+1. Can't wait till he retires and we see the back of him
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pokerface wrote:

Or, there's a little dollop of bull he's saying cos he can't help himself, it's difficult to tell with him.

The only thing that is a given is that he will be sore because he hit the ground.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    As Rich said earlier shoulder dislocations can be very different. Anecdote alert... Used to pay football with a guy (goalkeeper) who used to dislocate his shoulder and pop it back in nearly every match and carry on playing. Sister in law did hers, was in hospital overnight and needed operating on (since done it again and operated on again).

I've broken my humerus too, feel sorry for Colli, I could hardly move for a week without puking from the pain (first day was fine though as I was dosed up on morphine).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    hammerite wrote:
    As Rich said earlier shoulder dislocations can be very different. Anecdote alert... Used to pay football with a guy (goalkeeper) who used to dislocate his shoulder and pop it back in nearly every match and carry on playing.
    I'm the same. A hockey goalkeeper rather than football. I've dislocated my shoulders about twenty times (usually the left one). Only once not finished the game, when it didn't go back in and I had to go to hospital (that was a bad one). I've popped it out in my sleep a couple of times too. It usually hurts more the day after than the day of the injury
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Hopefully that lens is shattered as much as Colli's arm. What a friggin dumbkof.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RichN95 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    As Rich said earlier shoulder dislocations can be very different. Anecdote alert... Used to pay football with a guy (goalkeeper) who used to dislocate his shoulder and pop it back in nearly every match and carry on playing.
    I'm the same. A hockey goalkeeper rather than football. I've dislocated my shoulders about twenty times (usually the left one). Only once not finished the game, when it didn't go back in and I had to go to hospital (that was a bad one). I've popped it out in my sleep a couple of times too. It usually hurts more the day after than the day of the injury

Our keeper did a manual job, whilst he said it could be sore the next day he said it wasn't too bad (for him) and wouldn't put him off work or turning up for training. He was a bit of a nutter though.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172
    From a quick couple of views, Ruffoni(?, green jersey in sprint) seemed to push Colli into the spectators intrusion (still not cool), looked to be after a fight with a few riders previous too.

Also I think he (Colli) would have come down where the barriers narrowed. about 50cm further on
  • frenchfighter
    277-ZEN_0680.jpg

Odd thing is that Contador fell on the opposite side of the crash...I guess there was a domino effect
    CE-hbMxVEAEntmk.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    y Sunada
    CONTADOR-Alberto010p-1.jpg
    CIPOLLINI-Mario008p.jpg
    GREIPEL-Andre044p1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    CE-hbMxVEAEntmk.png

looked like a CCC rider came off standing up (if that makes sense ) and wandered across the road causing another crash that went sideways
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Nasty crash for the Colli, looking at the aerial footage, his arm snaps the instant he made contact with the camera, so no way for him to control his bike. A 50/50 accident though I would have said, he was squeezed down by Ruffoni so photographer had little chance to react before the collision.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Nasty crash for the Colli, looking at the aerial footage, his arm snaps the instant he made contact with the camera, so no way for him to control his bike. A 50/50 accident though I would have said, he was squeezed down by Ruffoni so photographer had little chance to react before the collision.

Not sure about that, for me the camera is in the way of the rider, the photographer is entirely at fault in the sense that his lens is in the way of the riders. I can see how a novice fan can easily get caught out by a rider sprinting up the barriers so in that sense I have some sympathy for the photographer but even so his camera was effectively on the course.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    If you dislocate the shoulder once there is a good chance it will dislocate again. If it pops out a second time you are likely to find it keep popping out until either the shoulder muscles are strengthened or the ligaments are tightened in an op.

IF (and with his history, it's a BIG IF), Contador did dislocate the shoulder twice then that's not great news for him if he continues to ride.

Still, I expect him to take the start today, and smash the field tomorrow, and then destroy Froome & Quintana in July. :shock: