2015 Giro Stage 6 **Spoilers**

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    An awful accident.
    Don't want to look at photos of a rider who is so badly hurt.

Contador looks in a bad way on the podium, but maybe he can make another miraculous recovery and be firing on all cylinders by Saturday's MTF.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I dislocated my shoulder like that once. It took ages for them to put it right again (and ultimately four people). They probably weren't helped by my constant hysterical laughing (they gave me too much gas).
    Strangely it didn't actually hurt when I did it. Although I did pass out when I tried to stand up and walk.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Picture of the arm.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE-czlEWYAAWepE.jpg:large

That has got to hurt.

Why did I have to look?

Ouchey Wowa!!

At least there's no bone sticking out.

I did that to my arm once. It is something I NEVER want to see again.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Oh dear Bertie looks hurty on the podium.

Can't move his left arm by the looks of things.

Not again!

I just want to see a straight fight between the best guys in the race.

Word.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Has always been thus.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    264km tomorrow... not easy.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    X-rays for Contador. I've put a rampage on ice in case the news is bad.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Something needs to be done about spectators in the last 300m. Barriers, gap and then another barrier. This will reduce the risk of idiots. I despair about f&*wits
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2015
    The Tinkoff party line is that he has hurt his shoulder and knee. Didn't say whether it was the same knee as the last time.

Apparently Hofland gave Bardiani's Ruffoni a smack on the head after the finish.
    He reckons he was all over the place and cause Colli into that tight spot.

Watching Prosso now and Bertie's getting into the car to go get checked.
    Arm in damaged CB position. Didn't look great.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Unfortunately I turned telly over from kids TV to see that unfortunate Fantini(?) riders arm. Not at all pleasant. Again why did the director choose to show such a picture? Who benefits?

I've not seen the crash, (& not sure I wish too), but from what people saying here is that it is similar to that poor lady rider who was taken out deliberately by a spectator recently. Is there anymore info on how it happened? Thanks
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    You know betting sites that let you 'cash out' before the match is over (for a lower pay out). Well do we have that in PTP? Can I cash out my GC Contador pick for, say, the points equivalent of a fourth place GC finish?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Unfortunately I turned telly over from kids TV to see that unfortunate Fantini(?) riders arm. Not at all pleasant. Again why did the director choose to show such a picture? Who benefits?

I've not seen the crash, (& not sure I wish too), but from what people saying here is that it is similar to that poor lady rider who was taken out deliberately by a spectator recently. Is there anymore info on how it happened? Thanks

Some talk of it being a camera lens.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    johnboy183 wrote:

Crash footage here around the 2 min mark - it looks like the Fantini rider did hit something fairly solid poking out from the barriers, but I have no idea what it was.
  • joelsim
    Looks like his back wheel slips on something and his front end then hits the barrier.
  • joelsim
    Strange that Bertie wasn't holding his arm as he cycled off after the crash.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Despite the fact I would like Aru to win the GC, I would rather he beat Contador fair and square in a good race than have him retire again. Reminds me of the somewhat dull tour last year...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    adr82 wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:

Crash footage here around the 2 min mark - it looks like the Fantini rider did hit something fairly solid poking out from the barriers, but I have no idea what it was.

Rider definitely got whacked by a camera lens - but a BIG one -like the ones used by professional sports photographers - not the kind your average punter has. Was probably still an "average" fan though.

Hard to see how far it was actually sticking out but obviously enough to catch the rider.

Some people reporting Bertie has a dislocated shoulder. We shall see.
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Looked to me as if the barriers stuck out... check the heli shots.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    You know betting sites that let you 'cash out' before the match is over (for a lower pay out). Well do we have that in PTP? Can I cash out my GC Contador pick for, say, the points equivalent of a fourth place GC finish?

May I repeat Rich's question...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    If this is a bad one for Contador it really is a complete disaster for the World of cycling. He needs to win this Giro in order to contest for the history making double. If he pulls out or cant cycle properly then that dickhead non-fan will be getting a visit.

Poor Nippo rider too.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    He needs to win this Giro in order to contest for the history making double.

I'd say the first guy that did the double made history. The ones that follow are just walking in footsteps....
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador's personal press officer Jacinto Vidarte added: "Alberto is almost good, he had a very heavy fall towards the end. He’s hurt himself on the knee and he’s got a bad shoulder as you can see but I think he should be ok. Alright he’s hurt his knee but I think that he should be ok to continue."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It isn't looking good for Contador.

I hope the Vini Fantini rider makes a full recovery. An horrendous injury.

DD.
  • Pokerface
    I'd take anything a press officer for Bertie or the team says with a grain of salt. They aren't exactly going to reveal the full extent of his injuries. Unless he has to pull of of the race, it will always be a 'minor' injury according to them.

Don't forget, these are the same people that told us his season was over after the Tour and he wouldn't be able to ride for months, etc. Next thing you know he's winning the Vuelta.
  • johnboy183
    It's just a freak accident, but why don't people take a moments thought before getting their lenses in the way of the action?
    And too cap it all, I've just scrolled slowly through Facebook, and those good folk at Cycling News have, in their wisdom, decided to post that very photo in close up! Nearly gagged when it appeared with no warning. Why do this?
  • Pokerface
    johnboy183 wrote:
    It's just a freak accident, but why don't people take a moments thought before getting their lenses in the way of the action?
    And too cap it all, I've just scrolled slowly through Facebook, and those good folk at Cycling News have, in their wisdom, decided to post that very photo in close up! Nearly gagged when it appeared with no warning. Why do this?

CyclingNews didn't post it. Someone posted it on their page.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    FFS. Can we please just have one straight fight between 100% fit best GC riders.

Ironically if he did have to have, say, 2 weeks off the bike, then it might work out better because he would then be fresh for the Tour against Froome and Quintana.
  • johnboy183
    Pokerface wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:

CyclingNews didn't post it. Someone posted it on their page.

Don't they have some edit control? Sorry probably needs separate topic
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    @inrng: Actual diagnosis for Contador from team press officer: dislocated shoulder. Team hopes he'll ride on http://t.co/ds4YD1uyDD (Spanish)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • blazing_saddles
    Yup. Confirmed dislocated shoulder, but the show goes on.
    264kms tomorrow: a piece of cake.