2015 Giro Stage 6 **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    It's just a freak accident, but why don't people take a moments thought before getting their lenses in the way of the action?
    And too cap it all, I've just scrolled slowly through Facebook, and those good folk at Cycling News have, in their wisdom, decided to post that very photo in close up! Nearly gagged when it appeared with no warning. Why do this?

CyclingNews didn't post it. Someone posted it on their page.

Don't they have some edit control? Sorry probably needs separate topic

Yes. But I doubt someone sits on that page all day long with their finger on the delete button. Possibly when they see it, it will be taken down.
  • Pokerface
    OK, NOW their press officer saying Bertie has a dislocated shoulder.

Who was the last contender to ride with such an injury?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Speaking as someone who has dislocated his shoulder before I'd say he's got no chance of riding tomorrow.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Pokerface
    I suppose that mean that Kreuziger will become the new team leader. Should be fun if he manages to hit the podium... and then gets banned after his CAS hearing.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Alberto crashes too much. What a lightweight, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pokerface wrote:
    OK, NOW their press officer saying Bertie has a dislocated shoulder.

Who was the last contender to ride with such an injury?

He seemed to ride off okay. Certainly if he did have a dislocated shoulder it was minor and went back in, a physio will be twiddling away at it anyway. I'm not saying he didn't get a good knock, I just don't fall for the hype (pretty much like you said earlier really).

I'd bet he'll be fine, he's got a good little moan in the bag he can pull out now at will now though, one that we'll no doubt have to hear repeated updates on for days.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Is this a Contador "dislocated shoulder" or an actual dislocated shoulder though? Personally I'm going with the former and then when he shows absolutely no ill-effects it will cement his position as the greatest recovererist (tm) of his generation and even edging Lazarus into 2nd place.

From what I saw of the crash it didn't look like a camera lens, it looked like a hoarding support or similar. It was a chaotic sprint though, people swerving everywhere - watching the top-down footage there's no way you wouldn't put money on there being a crash.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,161
    edited May 2015
    Not all dislocated shoulders are equal (I've done mine enough times to know). His wasn't a terrible one as he crossed the line and mounted the podium OK so it had presumably popped straight back in. My guess is that he'll be able to start tomorrow, and probably finish, but I doubt he'll be able to climb as usual on Saturday. Sleep will be a big issue too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pokerface wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Unfortunately I turned telly over from kids TV to see that unfortunate Fantini(?) riders arm. Not at all pleasant. Again why did the director choose to show such a picture? Who benefits?

I've not seen the crash, (& not sure I wish too), but from what people saying here is that it is similar to that poor lady rider who was taken out deliberately by a spectator recently. Is there anymore info on how it happened? Thanks
    Crash footage here around the 2 min mark - it looks like the Fantini rider did hit something fairly solid poking out from the barriers, but I have no idea what it was.

Rider definitely got whacked by a camera lens - but a BIG one -like the ones used by professional sports photographers - not the kind your average punter has. Was probably still an "average" fan though.

Hard to see how far it was actually sticking out but obviously enough to catch the rider.
    Watched it again more carefully and you're right, you can even see it being hurriedly retracted over the barrier after he hits it.
  • RichN95.
    If you look at the slowed down footage we can clearly see Colli's head move - back and to the left, back and to the left. And therefore I cannot believe that the photographer was acting alone. There had to be a second cameraman.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    If you look at the slowed down footage we can clearly see Colli's head move - back and to the left, back and to the left. And therefore I cannot believe that the photographer was acting alone. There had to be a second cameraman.

Are you telling me that this could be an inside job?
  • RichN95.
    CE-9V96W8AEzZh8.jpg

Green trousers.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd suggest he is borked
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    If he has to pull out it will be an absolute disaster. I hope that guys lens is smashed to pieces. You can 100% clearly see he caused the crash.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    If he has to pull out it will be an absolute disaster. I hope that guys lens is smashed to pieces. You can 100% clearly see he caused the crash.

It'll be a pity but I don't think it would be a disaster.

Depends what happens on the road really.
  • mfin
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sleep will be a big issue too.

Na. If he can sleep with all he's done on his conscience, an achey shoulder won't affect him, he'll be out like a light.
  • iainf72
    The swelling will kick in good and proper soon. And as Rich says, sleeping won't be fun.
  • mfin
    At least this gave people something to talk about on a day with a dull stage!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Contador Notebook @Contador_Notebk · 2h 2 hours ago

Send Alberto Contador a message of support! Go to this link NOW and type your message: https://acmessages2010.wordpress.com/me ... erto-2015/

FF?

CE-1NHrWYAAKf6c.jpg:large
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    ThomThom wrote:
    tumblr_inline_nnusvrJWLc1qkh9q4_500.gif

ECHELONS ALARM

I was doing the etape caledonia at the weekend - there was a crosswind section and I shouted ECHELON......

Mmmmm felt rather foolish in an echelon of 1 :?
  • RichN95.
    If Contador abandons it opens up the possibility of Kreuziger winning the Giro. And that would be a disaster.
  • frenchfighter
    Official Giro Medical bulletin: Contador - slight shoulder instability, slight pain. Colli - compound fracture of left humerus.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,857
    Official Giro Medical bulletin: Contador - slight shoulder instability, slight pain. Colli - compound fracture of left humerus.
    Rider no. 201 Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO (TCS) underwent x-ray and CAT scans of the left shoulder that was injured during the crash. Clinical examination revealed a slight instability of the left shoulder joint, as compared to the right one. The rider experienced slight pain.

Rider no. 124 Daniele COLLI (NIP) underwent x-ray examinations that confirmed a compound fracture of the left humerus, while CAT scans ruled out further fractures or damage to the internal organs of the chest and abdomen.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    “I don’t feel that we have to put the Giro in a cage away from the public,” Vegni said to reporters after the stage. “It’s not right that the thousands of people who come out to watch the race are penalised because of the actions of one person. But unfortunately, nowadays situations with cameras and mobile phones have become so dangerous and the people don’t seem to realise the risks these boys are running.”

Two things they can do:
    1. place a gap behind the hoardings in the finish straight
    2. create a rule whereby if there is a bunch sprint, all riders will be given the time at the 1km point, which means all the GC boys can sit up which makes it safer for them and for the sprinters
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    In case you are in any doubt it was the complete idiot with the camera that caused the crash, here is the slow-mo video with the point of contact magnified:
    https://youtu.be/2Ab7DxZJjrM
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    What's a "slight instability of the left shoulder" when it's at home? Not a dislocation I presume?
  • iainf72
    Froome crashed out of Tour last year
    Quintana out of Vuelta
    Never 2 without 3...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    In case you are in any doubt it was the complete idiot with the camera that caused the crash, here is the slow-mo video with the point of contact magnified:

What a fecking loon! Imagine being that obsessed with getting photos of cyclists.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,008
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    What's a "slight instability of the left shoulder" when it's at home? Not a dislocation I presume?

Inrng tweet suggests yes.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068

Well that clears that up. The video I saw started just after the camera incident but clearly showed the rider hitting the bit where the barriers narrow.