Amgen Tour of California - chat and ***Spoiler***

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Really sucks for Barguil after a crash took him out of Paris Nice as well.

Congratulations Cavendish, good to see you master of sprinting again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Incredible how much speed Cav has lost the last couple of years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    ThomThom wrote:
    Incredible how much speed Cav has lost the last couple of years.

Didn't look that way on Stage 1! I think he's lost that 'second kick' that used to gain him wins when it looked like he was getting reeled in.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    He hasn't lost anything other than form. That seems to be peaking again at the right time. The thing about the second kick, is that he rarely had to use it because his acceleration was the best. I still believe that to be the case.
  • thomthom
    philbar72 wrote:
    He hasn't lost anything other than form. That seems to be peaking again at the right time. The thing about the second kick, is that he rarely had to use it because his acceleration was the best. I still believe that to be the case.

So you are saying, in form, he's as fast as 2-3 years ago.

That's obviously not true, just by watching races (and that's pretty much the only way we can judge..) he beats, but just barely, second-tier sprinters which he'd be all over when he was fastest.

He's 29. Predictable and normal to gradually lose speed.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    ThomThom wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

That's obviously not true, just by watching races (and that's pretty much the only way we can judge..) he beats, but just barely, second-tier sprinters which he'd be all over when he was fastest.

Apparently it was a stiff headwind and Cavendish had to go early - from the overhead it looks like he's out in the wind at least twice as long as Sagan, and has to come from behind him. I'd agree that Cavendish doesn't necessarily have the same top speed any more, but as Sagan's no slouch and had the better leadout in this instance I'd suggest that this stage isn't necessarily the best evidence. In fact, I'm fairly sure that a couple of years ago we'd be saying how this showed his dominance by beating Sagan despite having to go the long way around and put his nose in the wind much sooner. We'll get a better idea how his speed is holding up when he's taking on a fully-fit Kittel again.

ETA - Is it possible that being older and wiser, he's also becoming cannier by refusing to beat second tier sprinters by more than the minimum required?
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

Apparently it was a stiff headwind and Cavendish had to go early - from the overhead it looks like he's out in the wind at least twice as long as Sagan, and has to come from behind him. I'd agree that Cavendish doesn't necessarily have the same top speed any more, but as Sagan's no slouch and had the better leadout in this instance I'd suggest that this stage isn't necessarily the best evidence. In fact, I'm fairly sure that a couple of years ago we'd be saying how this showed his dominance by beating Sagan despite having to go the long way around and put his nose in the wind much sooner. We'll get a better idea how his speed is holding up when he's taking on a fully-fit Kittel again.

ETA - Is it possible that being older and wiser, he's also becoming cannier by refusing to beat second tier sprinters by more than the minimum required?

I wasn't really taking this stage as the only evidence. And if anything, Sagan has only gone slower sprinting wise than 2 years ago after turning into a more versatile rider with classics as main goals.

Also, I think Kittel has proven himself enough times against Cav the last two years that he's the faster rider of the two.
  • Pross
    I certainly wouldn't disagree that he has lost some speed although I don't think we've seen the best of him v Kittel in the last year or so. Last season I think he put everything into the Tour then crashed out on stage 1.

I do think that he hasn't had a team fully dedicated to him since leaving HTC though. Sky got it right a few times but generally concentrated on protecting their GC man and QS have been very hit and miss, particularly in the final km. Kittel by contrast has a superb lead out team that have taken on the mantle from HTC.

Despite all this Cav has won 4 stages in Turkey and 2 from 2 at ATOC in recent weeks so he's not doing badly!
  • frenchfighter
    D Parks
    ATOC2015S2DParks-9365.jpg
    ATOC2015S2DParks-97011.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Pross wrote:
    I certainly wouldn't disagree that he has lost some speed although I don't think we've seen the best of him v Kittel in the last year or so. Last season I think he put everything into the Tour then crashed out on stage 1.

I do think that he hasn't had a team fully dedicated to him since leaving HTC though. Sky got it right a few times but generally concentrated on protecting their GC man and QS have been very hit and miss, particularly in the final km. Kittel by contrast has a superb lead out team that have taken on the mantle from HTC.

Despite all this Cav has won 4 stages in Turkey and 2 from 2 at ATOC in recent weeks so he's not doing badly!
    Exactly this. his form has been up and down but he's still strong enough to beat all the present competition (Kittel being sick Helps). I'm pretty sure he's not lost a lot, just that he's been injured more and absolute peak form is very difficult to maintain.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Well it looks like a day for the break - can't see the peloton catching the lone escapee. More interesting is some of the descending - very twisty roads and loads of people overcooking the corners.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Toms Skujins, Hincapie Racing Team wins after 55k solo. Sagan 2nd as usual.
  • frenchfighter
    Great win by him and now leading the GC by 30 secs. 50km solo = respect.

Sagan, Alaphilippe and Diez got 3 secs on the bunch of 24 riders (which contained my future man Tao and Gesink). Sagan 2nd in GC.

Henao and Kennaugh still there for Sky. Craddock 3 secs behind Alaphilippe.

142959_DSC_2002.jpg
    150205_DSC_2092.jpg
    154144_DSC_2193.jpg
    154206_DSC_2223.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    amgen-tour-california-mens-race-20150513-001342-895.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    15atocstg3012_670.jpg

Michael Woods and Tao Geoghegan Hart. Nice to see some different kit.
    TGH riding well.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    D Parks
    ATOC2015S2DParks-9365.jpg
    Suck it in boys !
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    `
    A lack of a good lead out man has been the Cavendish problem.
    The most experienced man is MARK RENSHAW and Cavendish could even have taken a Pay cut for QS to get him on board.
    The other "Train" members lost themselves in T.O.T and left Renshaw with a kilometer to go and he took Cavendish half way at speed for him to try to win with 500 meters to go.
    Not quite but nobody else could either.
    Now the pair are together again and starting to rack up the wins.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    Sagan wins, Cav 3rd.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Cav's finished :wink:

Truth is the finish was tailor made for Sagan yesterday.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Sagan's first win for how long and in a race no one cares about...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    amgen-tour-california-mens-race-20150513-231743-561.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Critical race update!

LOS ANGELES (May 13, 2015) – Due to the forecast of snow and low temperatures, the Amgen Tour of California organizers have determined that race day conditions will not be safe for riders, teams, partners, fans or staff participating or attending the Individual Time Trial events scheduled for Friday, May 15 at Big Bear Lake.
    :roll:
    http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/news/81/90/FRIDAY-S-MEN-S-WOMEN-S-INDIVIDUAL-TIME-TRIALS-WILL-BE-RELOCATED-TO-SANTA-CLARITA-DUE-TO-WEATHER-CONCERNS

Nice to see Tyler giving it everything in a desperate doomed fight for fourth.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Sagan at last corner

10410315_10206833395771433_6652087755402199627_n.jpg?oh=0fc9ed95a2cb4c2f54398cd1280ea13c&oe=55CDE56F

11059912_10152945125993380_3149252962212678389_o.jpg

Good video from bike mounted cam here
    https://www.facebook.com/AmgenTourofCalifornia?fref=nf
  • frenchfighter
    That's really super.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Nice to see him pulling moves again. He's looked jaded as hell all spring.

Couple of chipper wins is exactly what he needs. He's been beating himself in the euro events.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Hopefully we'll see Kennuagh lighting it up on stage 7 in his British Champ jersey.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Was amusing the change in pronunciation of Skujins name from Quigley and Smithy last night, they must have been guessing the night before as no one had heard of him.
  • Pross
    Raining today, it hasn't rained in California for years!
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    El Niño innit. Or something...
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Really really impressive ride by Geoffrey Curran today. Only 19 yrs old.