Amgen Tour of California - chat and ***Spoiler***

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited May 2015 in Pro race
The Brits (well at least 4 of them) are here!

With some other grand race already started in Ditalia (New Jersey?) I thought it might be useful to have a thread for the one everybody has been waiting for.

route-map.jpg

Information for the race is in the usual places ...

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Amgen_Tour_of_California_2015
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-of-california/

Each stage will be featured live on British Eurosport between 2200 and 0000. I would suggest a nice Lodi Zinfandel as an accompaniment.

Be prepared to be amazed at the technical, twisty & narrow parcours, the huge number of spectators on route and the bizarre costumes and antics which will undoubtably follow the riders up Mt Baldy on Stage 7, likely to be the deciding stage of the race, on Saturday May 16th.

The women's race started yesterday, with a win for Katie Hall (UHC). Hall caught the breakaway, which consisted of runner-up Alena Amialiusik (Velocio-SRAM) and her companion auren Komanski (Twenty16-ShoAir), who finished 3rd.

The official website for this 3 stage race is here ...

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/competition/womens-race

Comments

• RonB
    S2 of the women's race podium - 1st Canadian Champion Leah Kirch, 2nd Lauren Komanski and 3rd Trixi Worrack.

CElvcmdVIAAG-Ih.jpg

Lauren is leading the GC and Dame Sarah Storey has the climbers jersey.

Tomorrow is a circuit race in Sacremento, which will also be hosting the closing stages of the first day of racing for the men, later in the day.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    That has to be one of the most unclear stage overview maps I've ever seen!
  • RonB
    I know. One of the reasons I didn't bother with the race book for this one was the rubbish maps. Here's the link to todays race ...

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/uploads/images/2015stages/2015_AmgenTOC_Stage1_Map.pdf

Hope you see what I mean :roll:
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Andrew Talansky out after 100kms with allergy problems.

DD.
  • hammerite
    No one got close to Cav.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    That was a consummate lesson to the others in how to do a train, positioning and speed.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cav winning races at will at the moment. I guess that is what happens when you put some doubt into his abilities.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    154140_15730492-9aac-4ec0-b674-53afcf7438d9.jpg

Top 10 -

GBR 1 CAVENDISH, Mark (ETIXX - QUICK STEP) 4:43:27
    SVK 2 SAGAN, Peter (TINKOFF - SAXO)
    LUX 3 DRUCKER, Jean-Pierre (BMC RACING)
    USA 4 MURPHY, John (UNITEDHEALTHCARE)
    CAN 5 BOIVIN, Guillaume (OPTUM P/B KELLY BENEFIT STRATEGIES)
    BEL 6 WAEYTENS, Zico (GIANT - ALPECIN)
    NED 7 WIPPERT, Wouter (DRAPAC)
    USA 8 FARRAR, Tyler (MTN - QHUBEKA)
    NED 9 DE KORT, Koen (GIANT - ALPECIN)
    NED 10 VAN POPPEL, Danny (TREK FACTORY RACING)
  • RonB
    Any idea what happened to Ciolek (1'38" down)?

Was it just a case of being used up for Goss and Farrar later in the sprint?
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    RonB wrote:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I seen another issue for MTN on the circuit, possibly him.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RonB wrote:
    I know. One of the reasons I didn't bother with the race book for this one was the rubbish maps. Here's the link to todays race ...

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/uploads/images/2015stages/2015_AmgenTOC_Stage1_Map.pdf

Never mind the sh*tty map. There's a YOLO county in California. Ha ha, these youthful hipsters really are taking over.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • joelsim
    LeePaton wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I seen another issue for MTN on the circuit, possibly him.

He was leading out at 3km.
  • LeePaton
    Joelsim wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I was wrong, it was Drapac i seen.

I seen someone okay!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,638
    RonB wrote:

Never mind the sh*tty map. There's a YOLO county in California. Ha ha, these youthful hipsters really are taking over.

You're Daniel Freibe's alter ego and I claim my fiver.

You'll be talking about Shoreditch being 'not so bad' soon
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RonB wrote:

You're Daniel Freibe's alter ego and I claim my fiver.

You'll be talking about Shoreditch being 'not so bad' soon

NEVER! If I do you have my permission to take away my bikes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    They had some gravel roads yesterday.
    Photos by Darrel Parks:
    ATOC2015S1DParks-9045.jpg
    ATOC2015S1DParks-1672.jpg
    ATOC2015S1DParks-9197.jpg
    ATOC2015S1DParks-1813.jpg
    ATOC2015S1DParks-1871.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hammerite
    Joelsim wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:
    RonB wrote:

He was also on bottle duty at some point, so I'm guessing he's not their protected sprinter. But then with Goss, Farrar and Bos in there who will be their protected sprinter? There were a number of MTN riders who had mechanicals/punctures too.
  • joelsim
    hammerite wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:
    RonB wrote:

He was also on bottle duty at some point, so I'm guessing he's not their protected sprinter. But then with Goss, Farrar and Bos in there who will be their protected sprinter? There were a number of MTN riders who had mechanicals/punctures too.

Given it's in the US, surely it has to be Farrar.
  • hammerite
    Joelsim wrote:

Yes you would expect that, but given his recent track record!
  • joelsim
    hammerite wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Yes you would expect that, but given his recent track record!

Unlike Bos, Goss, Foss & Doss, or Ciolek?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,462
    Why do Americans think the tenth of something is the tenth anniversary? It's not, it's the ninth anniversary!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • LeePaton
    I have an advanced higher in Maths and an electrical engineering degree yet I still had to use my hands to work that out.

So California DOES have a drought huh?
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Looking good for the break, 3:20 at 28km - Oss to put a dig in from the break is almost certain. EQS and QS becoming more interested in closing it down...
  • RonB
    This could still be close. As Declan says, the leaders will be more difficult to catch once they get to the "crit" part of the stage in the town centre.

Edit - More teams joining in with EQS now though.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Is it just me or anyone else annoyed by the pic quality. Looks like it has been filmed on a mobile phone and transmitted via dial up - blurred and pixilated.
  • RonB
    Big crash before one of the lh 90deg bends of the finishing circuit. Barguil down.
  • RonB
    Oss likely to go it alone at some stage soon, but all likely to come together for a sprint finish.
  • jam1e
    Barguil one footed pedaling the remaining 6 miles following the crash.
  • jam1e
    Nice move in the sprint by the Drapac rider but Cav inches it from Sagan again.
  • RonB
    Cav gets the win again, but much closer between him and Sagan this time. Drapac rider, Wouter Wippert, came close with a good sprint and ended up 3rd.

Hope Barguil is ok and able to continue.

Update - Nope, DNF :(