Giro Pre Race Chat

milton50
milton50 Posts: 3,856
edited June 2015 in Pro race
A typical Giro route. It looks crazy hard and will probably be just as unpredictable. Stage 19 and 20 will kill some people. Near enough 440km over two days and most of them are uphill.

So, can Porte take his first 3 week race?

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Sky and Tinkoff have both announced pretty strong squads. If Porte can carry on his impressive form this year it could be a big gun shoot out between the two teams.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I have a feeling in my water that Alberto is fit for glue, and he knows it. Porte is the next best on paper, but has yet to show resilience under pressure for a full 3 week tour (although the 2013 tour stage when he lost the time was more race and team situation than a bad day). My sensations say that Richie is too fragile. I'd be surprised if the circus surrounding Aru doesn't cramp his style.

So I'm a big believer in Rigo, despite the certainty that his team will forget themselves and go crazy with all these medium mountain stages.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Sky look strong, think pozzo could do something on the bigger mtn stages
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • milton50
    Be interesting to see how Ulissi goes this year.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It looks like Rujano didn't get an invite to the party.

DD.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Macaloon wrote:
    I have a feeling in my water that Alberto is fit for glue, and he knows it.

yeah I can feel that one too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Sky look strong, think pozzo could do something on the bigger mtn stages

sky look awesome don't they. If porte has it then it will be a hard act to stop.

uran looks the safest ptp pick....most likely to be on the podium avoiding mishaps
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,600
    No Brits in the giro this year.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    any love for Aru? ...guessing not.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

But 11 Aussies and 3 from New Zealand.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Wow. Following the media circus then at the Tour. Giro for the real fans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Disappointing list of GC contenders but if Porte retains his form then he will push Contador hard. I just hope that he doesn't somehow come out and beat Contador over three weeks as he has shown he is nowhere close to being that rider.

Sky and Contador have very strong squads and wouldn't be surprised to see at least two from each team in the top ten.

The easier the better though for Contador if he is going for the Giro-Tour double.

Lets hope this one is a cracker - the parcours looks brilliant.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

Can you suggest who should e riding from britain?

and while you there can you suggest who these "real fans" you keep going on about actually are?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Maybe a record number at the Tour though.

What is the record?
    Edit: to answer my own question - nine in 1967 & 1968. Most finishers - seven in 2010
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    ...I just hope that he doesn't somehow come out and beat Contador over three weeks as he has shown he is nowhere close to being that rider...

Twaddle. Porte is clearly on form this year and hitting his prime. Contador is quite possibly a fading force. I don't personally think Porte has the consistency over three weeks and am backing Uran myself, but to write him off and to expect Bertie to be riding like it's 2009 is a bit one-eyed.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    We will get a reputation as being a soft nation with no participants in the hardest grand tour.
  • frenchfighter
    ...I just hope that he doesn't somehow come out and beat Contador over three weeks as he has shown he is nowhere close to being that rider...

Twaddle. Porte is clearly on form this year and hitting his prime. Contador is quite possibly a fading force. I don't personally think Porte has the consistency over three weeks and am backing Uran myself, but to write him off and to expect Bertie to be riding like it's 2009 is a bit one-eyed.

I don't write him off. I just don't expect him to beat Contador. And I don't expect Contador to be at 2009 levels, 2014 levels are perfect - ie/. best stage race rider in the World.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    ddraver wrote:

Can you suggest who should e riding from britain?

and while you there can you suggest who these "real fans" you keep going on about actually are?

We all know there's only one 'real fan' on here, and certainly not any of those mugs at the side of the road actually enjoying the racing.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Here's how I'm seeing it at the moment.

On paper Porte looks the strongest based on current form, but for me there's always a '?' around his ability to perform over 3 weeks. It's ok being a domestique for Froome, where you can do your stuff then fall away knowing its job done, but being team leader and having to go that extra mile on every stage? I just don't know.

Contador, on his day he's top draw, but again, based on current results and fitness he's either: A. been blagging it that he's not up to scratch when really he is and was saving it for the Giro..or B: he really isn't up to scratch.

Uran. Could win the Giro if he gets the timing right, but something tells me he never will, a good bet for another podium place but to win it i just don't think he's got the legs in the final few KM's to keep up with the efforts of the top boys and therefore will agonisingly fall short by a few seconds on every hard stage. (assuming Porte is smoking and Contador isn't blagging)
  • Ashbeck

I don't write him off. I just don't expect him to beat Contador. And I don't expect Contador to be at 2009 levels, 2014 levels are perfect - ie/. best stage race rider in the World.

You love Contador don't you French :) would you have his babies?
  • milton50
    Ashbeck wrote:

On paper Porte looks the strongest based on current form, but for me there's always a '?' around his ability to perform over 3 weeks.

This is how I see it as well. There's a big difference between 1 week stage races and Grand Tours. Despite that I still maintain that Porte would have won the '13 Tour if Froome wasn't there. Contador will play every tactic in the book and race every metre. I just get the impression Porte is the kind of rider who might switch off at the wrong moment. But I like the guy and I hope he wins it.

I was thinking about Aru and his performance last year. He hasn't shown anything this year so I don't know what to expect. The Astana team looks strong though.
  • Ashbeck
    Milton50 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

On paper Porte looks the strongest based on current form, but for me there's always a '?' around his ability to perform over 3 weeks.

This is how I see it as well. There's a big difference between 1 week stage races and Grand Tours. Despite that I still maintain that Porte would have won the '13 Tour if Froome wasn't there. Contador will play every tactic in the book and race every metre. I just get the impression Porte is the kind of rider who might switch off at the wrong moment. But I like the guy and I hope he wins it.

I was thinking about Aru and his performance last year. He hasn't shown anything this year so I don't know what to expect. The Astana team looks strong though.

Likewise, I like Porte and I would like to see him break past that 'bad patch' he's had in the past during longer stage races. We'll know by the end of the 2nd week if he's managed that or not.

Im the same on Aru. Could be good, might be an outside bet, but personally i don't think he'll do enough to win it. Give it another couple of years and he could be superb if he keeps on improving.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I just don't see Porte as a winner of a GT.

Not sure why I see him as fragile, I just do.

He might have all the data and numbers in the world to back it up from Team Sky. But for me, week long stage races are his likely domain.

Will see how that prediction goes for me!
  • Ashbeck

He might have all the data and numbers in the world to back it up from Team Sky. But for me, week long stage races are his likely domain.

Thats the point I'm making. Im on the fence with Porte because the potential is there, but I'm not convinced he can go past that 10 day section. On paper, he should be able too, he has the talent, but he always gets ill, or has an off day. The trouble is, his off day tends to land him with a 8 minute deficit that he's then never likely to gain back.

If he does win this Giro it will be because of 2 things. 1. he manages to break past that dodgy patch and 2. Contador isn't fit. If Contador is fit and on top of his game then i think he will beat Porte and 'manage him' right till the end (unless Contadors TT is rubbish and he screws up)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,600
    Anyone studied the number of roundabouts in last 30km of stages???

Will have a big impact on attrition rate ;).
  • inseine
    Ashbeck wrote:

Thats the point I'm making. Im on the fence with Porte because the potential is there, but I'm not convinced he can go past that 10 day section. On paper, he should be able too, he has the talent, but he always gets ill, or has an off day. The trouble is, his off day tends to land him with a 8 minute deficit that he's then never likely to gain back.

If he does win this Giro it will be because of 2 things. 1. he manages to break past that dodgy patch and 2. Contador isn't fit. If Contador is fit and on top of his game then i think he will beat Porte and 'manage him' right till the end (unless Contadors TT is rubbish and he screws up)

I think that ever since he said he just wasn't as good as Froome I doubted his killer instinct. He does seem a bit too nice to win a GT.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Disappointing list of GC contenders but if Porte retains his form then he will push Contador hard. I just hope that he doesn't somehow come out and beat Contador over three weeks as he has shown he is nowhere close to being that rider.
    Sky and Contador have very strong squads and wouldn't be surprised to see at least two from each team in the top ten.

The easier the better though for Contador if he is going for the Giro-Tour double.

Lets hope this one is a cracker - the parcours looks brilliant.

What tosh. Dont know what racing you have been watching but Porte is a class act. As the protected rider rather than the domestique he will get an easier ride. He is a little older and stronger now and If he stays healthy for the three weeks Contador will be playing catch up.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

Not sure how no Brits being selected to ride for their teams at the Giro has anything to do with a media circus or the type of fans.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    MY MAN Richie's going to be cleaning up those Toblerone's with the help of my other man Kiry.

Or he isn't, but who cares, I can't wait!

:D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Here's my tuppence (and I'm still dining out on being the only one to call Birtie for the Vuelta 8) ):

Uran - not a chance unless something befalls all of these guys..

Porte / Pozzo - prob 2nd and 3rd respectively

Birtie - with the might of Rogers & Basso - all day long
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'