Bib shorts

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    menthel wrote:
    The only downside is that the manufacturing looks a bit agricultural, unlike my castelli bibs.

Seems fine to me...

It's perfectly good, looks robust- it's just not of the fineness of the stitching on the castelli bibs. Not sure of the long term effect. They certainly beat the endura bibs for me and given the price I have ordered a medium as well to see if the fit is better for the Lusso.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    menthel wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    The only downside is that the manufacturing looks a bit agricultural, unlike my castelli bibs.

Seems fine to me...

It's perfectly good, looks robust- it's just not of the fineness of the stitching on the castelli bibs. Not sure of the long term effect. They certainly beat the endura bibs for me and given the price I have ordered a medium as well to see if the fit is better for the Lusso.

I see what you mean... to be honest the thread looks more robust than most.
    I rode them into work this morning. The fit is great, still in two minds about the pad, I need a long ride to see how it copes... maybe tomorrow
    left the forum March 2023
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Etxeondo Orhi bibs are sublime - for me equals total comfort, and properly quality garment and stitching.

Comfort yes, am chuffed with mine but stiching is going at the bit below your navel. they beat my Assos shorts for comfort but the latter just keep on going.

As for castelli, there was a chap with a white/black pair on the other day where the white was basically the shape of y fronts on black shorts, and a logo on each arse cheek, but still better than some chap I saw the other day in flesh coloured shorts!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Daniel B wrote:
    Etxeondo Orhi bibs are sublime - for me equals total comfort, and properly quality garment and stitching.

Comfort yes, am chuffed with mine but stiching is going at the bit below your navel. they beat my Assos shorts for comfort but the latter just keep on going.

As for castelli, there was a chap with a white/black pair on the other day where the white was basically the shape of y fronts on black shorts, and a logo on each ars* cheek, but still better than some chap I saw the other day in flesh coloured shorts!
    The Emperor's new bibs?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    still better than some chap I saw the other day in flesh coloured shorts!

could have been me...
  • menthel
    Have ordered some howies to try. £59 on their own but £89 with a top and a bottle. Will try bibs only first.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel
    Two more arrived today.

Exteondo Orhi XL- slipped on and felt superb. Material is really nice, the straps are soft but hold their structure and the leg grippers felt good. The pad seems comfy and the front cut is quite high, in the right place for me. I do wonder if the next size down would be best as the legs are a little long and I didn't feel that pull downwards from the straps that I expect from good bibs.

Sportful Total Comfort XL- nice material but a few loose threads. Cut is ok but a little low at the front. The straps are quite structured and hold their shape but didn't feel harsh. However, the pad is HUGE! I could feel it on my thighs when standing and it was even worse in position. It will just rub and that won't do.

So sportful out of the running and I will send back the Orhi for a large.
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    Two more arrived today.

Exteondo Orhi XL- slipped on and felt superb. Material is really nice, the straps are soft but hold their structure and the leg grippers felt good. The pad seems comfy and the front cut is quite high, in the right place for me. I do wonder if the next size down would be best as the legs are a little long and I didn't feel that pull downwards from the straps that I expect from good bibs.

Sportful Total Comfort XL- nice material but a few loose threads. Cut is ok but a little low at the front. The straps are quite structured and hold their shape but didn't feel harsh. However, the pad is HUGE! I could feel it on my thighs when standing and it was even worse in position. It will just rub and that won't do.

You need to host a blog...

After the success of the wheels one, I am planning to host a double malt one, can't wait to get all the microbrewery samples... :wink:
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    menthel wrote:
    Have ordered some howies to try. £59 on their own but £89 with a top and a bottle. Will try bibs only first.

How did you order these? I was looking and its S/M or L/XL.

I'm top Castelli Large or everyone else medium. bottoms Medium... the science of buying cycle clothes just confuses me!
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Went for Pro Team bibs with 15% off we shall see
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I mentioned on another thread that I recently tried some S7 Assos. Tiburu. Hated the way they fitted. Not a patch on my Mille or earlier 607's.

So now on the hunt for those. Not easy.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:
    Two more arrived today.

You need to host a blog...

After the success of the wheels one, I am planning to host a double malt one, can't wait to get all the microbrewery samples... :wink:

I don't plan on going through everything I buy, mind you the bike thread went on for a while! ;)
    Lancew wrote:
    menthel wrote:

How did you order these? I was looking and its S/M or L/XL.

I'm top Castelli Large or everyone else medium. bottoms Medium... the science of buying cycle clothes just confuses me!

The L/XL seemed most suitable looking at their size chart but I am at the bottom end of the range. Will just give them a go!
    RIP commute...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'll through in my 2 pennies worth.

Prendas Santini Edge bibs. They are fantastic. You get a gel filled pad as used by orica green edge pro team, really comfy but not too big, fairly high front, and for me a fantastic fit.....all for only £85, which in the world of high end bib shorts is a steal.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    t4tomo wrote:
    I'll through in my 2 pennies worth.

Prendas Santini Edge bibs. They are fantastic. You get a gel filled pad as used by orica green edge pro team, really comfy but not too big, fairly high front, and for me a fantastic fit.....all for only £85, which in the world of high end bib shorts is a steal.

Just ordered a pair, thanks for the heads up. At that price they look like they're worth a punt!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ugo.santalucia
    Did 4 and 1/2 hours this morning... the Lusso pad is comfortable, the bibs stay there, the fit is good... very very pleased for 45 quid... :mrgreen:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    menthel wrote:
    So bloody castelli have "updated" the free aero bibs for 2015, mucking up the cut so that they no longer fit as nicely as the 2014. Gits.

What else is good in the world of bibs? I want something for about the same cost as the free aero with a pad as comfy as the progetto x2.

Off the back of this thread, just ordered another spare pair of the old free aero from all4cycling.com at around £100. Still a few sizes/options left if anyone else wants to do the same.
  • menthel
    The Lusso and Howies arrived today.

The medium Lusso's are pretty great- nice fit and the leg length is much better. All in all, these seem to be very good for the money!

The howies were the L/XL and look and feel a bit thick, not sure how well they would suit when the weather gets hot. However, the circular knitting seems to give them a really nice fit. The pad seems good, the leg grippers are nice and the size is just about right. I really like the lack of padding over the front tackle padding, it seems to lead to a good area of support. These also seem really good value too.

I think these two may stay at present given that they are quite so good. Just need to wait for the Orhis in the next size down before deciding.
    RIP commute...
  • NIL0C
    NIL0C Posts: 4
    Which Lusso bibs did you both go for?
  • menthel
    NIL0C wrote:
    Which Lusso bibs did you both go for?

The pro gel from merlin. I think they are last years.

Actually wore mine this morning. Very comfy- I had some initial concerns about the leg grippers as they felt like they might run but this went after a couple of km. Pad felt great and the cut felt good on the bike.
    RIP commute...
  • Have a pair of Gore that I like, and also Trek and Pearl Izumi but the stiching on the latter is maybe not as robust as it should be (2 rides !)
    Endura are comfy as hell

I have a few others, but to be honest, the comfiest may well be a pair of DHB Vaerons
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    Pad felt great and the cut felt good on the bike.

The pad is a 4 hours one, for an 8 hours ride it will get uncomfortable... still, good for 90% of the rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I wore my Castelli free aero for just over 12 hours on sat in heat, no kit problems of any kind, my body however protested at such an extended period sans beer.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • menthel
    Lusso have been comfortable on the commute so far. However, I have already noticed that the logo is coming off, hope that doesn't reflect the quality generally.
    RIP commute...
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I bought some Lusso bibs a few years ago. They were about £30ish. Within weeks the front stitching came apart and the thread dropped on the leg. Binned them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    Lusso have been comfortable on the commute so far. However, I have already noticed that the logo is coming off, hope that doesn't reflect the quality generally.

The logo on my Rapha started to peel off after a couple of washings...
  • menthel
    The Orhis went back, they just didn't feel right and the leg grippers were a little uncomfortable.

I now have some s/m Howies bibs and they have been kept for futher testing. Rode 30km in them this morning and they seemed comfy. The circular knit made what looked like some very small bibs fit quite nicely. The pad seems thinner than I am used to but it also feels less intrusive- it worked well with my Cambium C15. The leg grippers are nice and comfortable as well. For £59 they seem very good value. Will give them a few more rides and see how it goes.

On the list still to try are the fancier pro-sl Endura, Santini and the newly suggested Pactimo. Lurking on the horizon will be Assos- I quickly tried on Rapha ones and didn't like the cut around my gut.
    RIP commute...
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'll be trying the newly arrived Santini Mago's I bought from all4cycling.com, tonight.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • menthel
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    I'll be trying the newly arrived Santini Mago's I bought from all4cycling.com, tonight.

Will be interested to hear how they fit and feel!
    RIP commute...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    My two penneth worth, Sportful Body-Fit Pro (the ltd edition ones) are by far the most comfortable bib
    shorts and 3/4s I've had.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    menthel wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Will be interested to hear how they fit and feel!

Back from the ride and rather impressed with the Santini's.

Fit was good according to the size guide. Normally a L in say, DHB's, so sized up on to XL and although on the snug snide, no problems with the overall fit. I do normally struggle with the straps as I have quite wide shoulders so they are normally a bit on the tighter side, no matter what the bibs, and these were no different, but I would guess they would be fine for the normal sized rider.

Gripers were great and the legs stayed in place, so no problems there. The Griper band has (what I would assume is reflective) "Santini" on them, which should help in the dark if using them for commuting.

They have the NAT pad which was mentioned earlier in the post regarding the Prendas Santini bibs, which although I have only done 24 miles this evening, gave no problems and have no reason to believe it wouldn't cope with ride up to 4-6 hours. Certainly better than the pad I use on my normal Aeron Pro's.

Finally, a nice little touch which drew me to them originally. They have 2 little pockets on the outside of the legs just above the gripper which is meant to pop in used gel wrappers. Something I would probably find useful when doing Sportives\longer rides rather than popping them back into my jersey pocket.

Cheers,
    FJ
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807