Bib shorts

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
So bloody castelli have "updated" the free aero bibs for 2015, mucking up the cut so that they no longer fit as nicely as the 2014. Gits.

What else is good in the world of bibs? I want something for about the same cost as the free aero with a pad as comfy as the progetto x2.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I would have said Louis Garneau Neo Power Bib Shorts but they don't appear to be in stock atm anywhere - seriously comfortable :)
  • menthel
    Pufftmw wrote:
    I would have said Louis Garneau Neo Power Bib Shorts but they don't appear to be in stock atm anywhere - seriously comfortable :)

Thanks. ;)

Looking at the sportful total comfort of the edxtendo orho or however the hell you spell it. I like bibs with a slightly higher front to hide the gut and looking at assos they are low at the front.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I've been really disappointed with the Castelli stuff I've bought over the past 18 months.

I have bought bib tights, bib shorts and gloves from them last year, all if which are having issues with stitching coming apart.

It's not even in 'stress' areas where I could be accused of filling out a bit. The tights for example it's much of the pad has come undone.

These are the gloves after less than 12 months of use,

tfDnbjR.jpg?1

I have some Sportful bibs that I have been pretty impressed with and have lasted twice as long as the Castelli stuff despite them being far more expensive.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Castelli and Sportful are made by the same people.....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    rubertoe wrote:
    Castelli and Sportful are made by the same people.....

For whatever reason, there is a massive disparity, for me at least in how soon it falls apart.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    menthel wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

Thanks. ;)

Looking at the sportful total comfort of the edxtendo orho or however the hell you spell it. I like bibs with a slightly higher front to hide the gut and looking at assos they are low at the front.

Etxeondo Orhi bibs are sublime - for me equals total comfort, and properly quality garment and stitching.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Got to say, a few of my Castelli items have not held up well. The neoprene overshoes are full of holes on the bottom, and the neoprene Diluvio gloves have come apart - totally split on the palm on the left, and stitching coming undone on the right. Thankfully it's getting a bit warmer now so might be ok to wait until autumn to replace them. Both were bought at the end of last summer and have been showing signs of wear for months, despite fairly irregular use over the winter. The arm and leg warmers I have are fine, but not convinced on anything which faces any kind of stress.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I agree, I have several sportful items, bibs, jerseys, jackets etc and cannot knock it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    Endura fs260 pro ... best by far
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • menthel
    I had some castelli gloves fall apart but otherwise it's all been ok. Apart from the change in design!

May order a few pairs in and send back what doesn't suit.
    RIP commute...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    menthel wrote:
    So bloody castelli have "updated" the free aero bibs for 2015, mucking up the cut so that they no longer fit as nicely as the 2014. Gits.

What's the difference, cut wise?
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Longer, see thru leg grippers, lower round the gut and just a bit smaller than my 2014 version. That and some silly golf ball pimpled fabric on the thighs.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Oh and they seemed to have mucked around with the panels in the gusset too.
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I need a new pair too... how about the cheaper Exteondo... Biko or whatever they are called... ??
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    menthel wrote:

Longer, see thru leg grippers, lower round the gut and just a bit smaller than my 2014 version. That and some silly golf ball pimpled fabric on the thighs.
    Are you sure it's the bibs that are smaller? :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    edited April 2015
    I like the new designs but then again I have a stock of the older too so meh!

Have you tried rapha?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Are you sure it's the bibs that are smaller? :wink:

Cheeky! Luckily the 2014 still fit as nicely as they did last year...
    itboffin wrote:
    I like the new designs but then again I have a stock of the older too so men!

Have you tried rapha?

I might take an extended lunch one day and either go to the Rapha shop or up to Condor give that they will have a wider stock. £160 is still a little rich for the basic bibs though.
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have a pair of Rapha from the days when I had a bit more money... the pad is good, the design is good, but the lycra material is not very durable and 2.5 years on they look very worn and thin. Stitching was poor and required repair on two occasions. Definitively not worth the price tag
  • menthel
    I have ordered some Sportful Total Comfort Bib Shorts and Etxeondo Orhi Bib Shorts from Wiggle and will give them a go. I will also pop into Evans and have a feel of the Endura ones, they have them in stock locally.

I think I will put Rapha in the second round of things to try if none of the above suit.
    RIP commute...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Castelli free aero race still around for 100 from older years. I also had a pair from last year which distressingly fell apart as the pad came unstitched (after only a few 100 miles)

Want some rapha pro team bibs but can't justify the price so thinking about a trip to the archive store.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    £100 in the archive store

and you're observations about Castelli quality control is spot on, I love Castelli but over the last 8 years i've returned and or had replaced dozens of items due to manufacturing faults, i should caveat that by saying i have a lot of kit, not as much as DanB but a lot.

thankfully i buy my stuff from either Castellicafe or Wiggle so replacements are never an issue.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    coriordan wrote:
    Castelli free aero race still around for 100 from older years. I also had a pair from last year which distressingly fell apart as the pad came unstitched (after only a few 100 miles)

Want some rapha pro team bibs but can't justify the price so thinking about a trip to the archive store.
    The Pro Team bibs are definitely race fit (obviously) compared to their Classic so size accordingly.
    That said, they are outside my budget normally but a half price sale brought them down to less than £100 and they are worth that price. :)
    By far the most comfortable I have on the bike (not necessarily off the bike) compared to Classic, Assos Uno S5, Santini, Solo, FS260, Altura, Campagnolo, Edinburgh Bike Coop. Probably in that order. Sky colours are debatable though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    In the end I bought a pair of Lusso from Merlin... at 44 quid I think it's great value for a British made pair of bibs, which apparently are also very good!

You should do the same... let's stop buying stuff made in Tragikistan... apparently it is perfectly possible to manufacture in the UK... just look at your lovely Hope hubs... :wink:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Yes, buy British. I always look at Lusso stuff first.
  • menthel
    In the end I bought a pair of Lusso from Merlin... at 44 quid I think it's great value for a British made pair of bibs, which apparently are also very good!

You should do the same... let's stop buying stuff made in Tragikistan... apparently it is perfectly possible to manufacture in the UK... just look at your lovely Hope hubs... :wink:

I have just ordered a pair to try. They look (from the pics) to have the kind of cut that I like. And a bargain too if suitable!

I also have lovely niche hubs too and both of my frames are Italian made, perhaps a nice UK steel next then...
    RIP commute...
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    I generally now always get castelli free aeros when they pop up on sale for 60-85 quid or so. 4 pairs in rotation atm. Lucky in that I can fit into smalls... For me they are the best fit I've come across.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • ugo.santalucia
    My Lusso Pro gel whatever arrived... they seem very good quality and the fit is very good on the shorts part. The bibs could be an inch or so shorter, but if that turns out to be a problem, it can be easily sorted with a sewing machine...
  • menthel
    My Lusso Pro gel whatever arrived... they seem very good quality and the fit is very good on the shorts part. The bibs could be an inch or so shorter, but if that turns out to be a problem, it can be easily sorted with a sewing machine...

Mine should arrive today too. Hopefully so will the other pairs to do I can start to compare.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    So, endura fs260 in medium tried first. Nice cut, overall with the front high enough for my liking. Straps felt comfy, not too thin or getting caffled up. The pad felt good and I liked the cutout for the gentleman's areas. Very nearly a winner but the leg grippers were not great- in fact rough and rather uncomfortable. That rules those out!

Next, Lusso pro gels in large. Great cut again but the large may be a little too roomy. The pad feels good and the gentleman parts are well cupped. Nice thick straps and the front was over my navel and really comfy. Leg grippers were also very good. The only downside is that the manufacturing looks a bit agricultural, unlike my castelli bibs. I may well try these in a medium but they do seem very good for the money.
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    menthel wrote:
    The only downside is that the manufacturing looks a bit agricultural, unlike my castelli bibs.

Seems fine to me...