So Wiggos now gone...

Comments

• ddraver wrote:
    Why would the Yates' leave a ProTour team for a development team?!?

Like Yates. Not Yates actual.

Birks is riding for them no? He won a road race I was in solo after catching the break for 3 minutes on his own too. He was 17.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sounds like a good guy. I have not looked at their team list and couldn't care less who is on it either. I do not follow domestic cycling in the UK and it is not televised either.

Exploits often got heard of though. Such as Merckx like Eddie Dunbar's.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    The_Boy wrote:
    So is he definitely joining Team Wiggins then? I've been having a quick look at their line-up and with the exception of Doull it's a little uninspiring if I'm honest.

Andy Tennant is a ex World Champion

Stephen Burke a Olympic Gold Medallist
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The_Boy wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    So is he definitely joining Team Wiggins then? I've been having a quick look at their line-up and with the exception of Doull it's a little uninspiring if I'm honest.

It's a development team made up generally of riders in and around the GB academy set up. Mark Christian is a solid roadie, the others are mainly track biased. I don't think they're aim is to set the road race scene alight TBH.

Yeah, I get that they're a development team, it's just that it looks to contain a few journeymen* type riders which I thought odd. I'm just struggling to see where Wiggins fits in. As a rider I mean.

*For want of a better word. I'm not going out of my way to be mean here.

Who in the team (other than Wiggo himself now I guess) would you describe as journeymen? I don't see anyone on the roster counting the clock down on their career. IMO they are riders still looking to personally achieve more. Just because they haven't made WT level at 20 years of age doesn't mean they aren't progressing as riders.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I saw a mob of GB age group riders out on a bunch ride yesterday and not one of them returned my cheery wave. On this basis I hope their fancy development team is taken away and only given back when they learn some manners.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    I saw a mob of GB age group riders out on a bunch ride yesterday and not one of them returned my cheery wave. On this basis I hope their fancy development team is taken away and only given back when they learn some manners.

I think young pros take themselves too seriously and they consider such things as "uncool"
    @JaunePeril

• I saw a mob of GB age group riders out on a bunch ride yesterday and not one of them returned my cheery wave. On this basis I hope their fancy development team is taken away and only given back when they learn some manners.

I think young pros take themselves too seriously and they consider such things as "uncool"

Most of the pro guys round here are pretty decent for it, provided you don't take the p!as with wheelsucking on the canal path. I've even swapped turns with Van Petegem along there, until he decided he wanted to go hard.

GVA and Vanmarcke are fellow non wavers, though. For this reason, I share ATC's opinion of GVA.

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    I saw a mob of GB age group riders out on a bunch ride yesterday and not one of them returned my cheery wave. On this basis I hope their fancy development team is taken away and only given back when they learn some manners.

Most of the pro guys round here are pretty decent for it, provided you don't take the p!as with wheelsucking on the canal path. I've even swapped turns with Van Petegem along there, until he decided he wanted to go hard.

GVA and Vanmarcke are fellow non wavers, though. For this reason, I share ATC's opinion of GVA.

It's brilliant that you get to see riders of such quality out and about. You should get a camera fitted to your bike (Goat-Pro) and post clips of those you come across.
    @JaunePeril

It's brilliant that you get to see riders of such quality out and about. You should get a camera fitted to your bike (Goat-Pro) and post clips of those you come across.

I think I'm the only one who's impressed!

Friday before Flanders on that path we saw all of Giant (wavers), Step and Wynants (non wavers), Farrar (waver) and some orica women (wavers)! Its not usually that busy though.

You can quite regularly see Farrar, De Gendt, Keisse, Benoot, Devenyns, Van Petegem and sometimes even Godefroot. All wavers.

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Friday before Flanders on that path we saw all of Giant (wavers), Step and Wynants (non wavers), Farrar (waver) and some orica women (wavers)! Its not usually that busy though.

You can quite regularly see Farrar, De Gendt, Keisse, Benoot, Devenyns, Van Petegem and sometimes even Godefroot. All wavers.

This is important information. I've got right off GVA now, and Sep. Tyler Farrar has gone up again in my estimation, I didn't have much time for him before he joined Qhubeka, but now I hear he waves back as well... :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yellow Peril

This is important information. I've got right off GVA now, and Sep. Tyler Farrar has gone up again in my estimation, I didn't have much time for him before he joined Qhubeka, but now I hear he waves back as well... :-)

I understand Boodism takes waving very seriously. It influences your next re-incarnation. GVA is officially a tw@t now
    @JaunePeril

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Not so. Godspeed young man.

wave_2239904b.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

It's a development team made up generally of riders in and around the GB academy set up. Mark Christian is a solid roadie, the others are mainly track biased. I don't think they're aim is to set the road race scene alight TBH.

Yeah, I get that they're a development team, it's just that it looks to contain a few journeymen* type riders which I thought odd. I'm just struggling to see where Wiggins fits in. As a rider I mean.

*For want of a better word. I'm not going out of my way to be mean here.

Who in the team (other than Wiggo himself now I guess) would you describe as journeymen? I don't see anyone on the roster counting the clock down on their career. IMO they are riders still looking to personally achieve more. Just because they haven't made WT level at 20 years of age doesn't mean they aren't progressing as riders.

See me post immediately after the one you quoted. I had a quick look at the squad and saw guys like Burke and Patten who are late 20s then misread a bunch of other DOBs which made me think it was Doull, Dibben and a half a dozen guys in their late 20s/early 30s. Not a bad thing per se but not really what you would expect from a development squad of nine.

Obviously, a closer look (with glasses) has revealed my mistake and the reality is much more in line with what I was expecting - a group of young guys in the 93-95 range a a handful of more experienced riders to show them the ropes.

I'm still not sure where Wiggins fits in as a rider, but that's will presumably become clear as the season develops.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Where does Wiggins fit in? - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy wrote:
    I'm still not sure where Wiggins fits in as a rider, but that's will presumably become clear as the season develops.

3rd or 4th man in the TP squad presumably. I thought Team Wiggo was simply a mechanism for the GB track endurance riders to race on the road away from the domestic scene to maximise the chances of success in the TP in Rio.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

To be fair though you actually have a rational reason to dislike GVA, I have no reason other than I don't like his face.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Goat, I need to know is my man De Gendt a waver?
  • above_the_cows
    DELETE.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

3rd or 4th man in the TP squad presumably. I thought Team Wiggo was simply a mechanism for the GB track endurance riders to race on the road away from the domestic scene to maximise the chances of success in the TP in Rio.

Ah, I think I may have understood the point of the project then. I had thought it was a road project - sort of a Sky feeder team but not iyswim?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • sjmclean wrote:

I thought I was the only one who had him as my man!

He lives in the next village over from us and is not only a waver, but he'll give you a "Yo" when he passes. For this, he is my mannest of man

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    sjmclean wrote:

He lives in the next village over from us and is not only a waver, but he'll give you a "Yo" when he passes. For this, he is my mannest of man

You should ask him for sausage suggestions.
  • Anonymous
    sjmclean wrote:

Oh no he's one of mine as well. Happy to share him, there's enough to go round. That Giro stage is what made him one of mine. Great news that he's a waver as well.
  • Fancy Belgian cycling sheet Bahamontes had him talking through the video of that stage, really interesting.

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Fancy Belgian cycling sheet Bahamontes had him talking through the video of that stage, really interesting.

Is there an english version anywhere?

That stage was perfect. I just wish he had got the jersey. True champions performance.
  • sjmclean wrote:
    Fancy Belgian cycling sheet Bahamontes had him talking through the video of that stage, really interesting.

That stage was perfect. I just wish he had got the jersey. True champions performance.

If you'll indulge me, and give me a couple of days, I can try and translate it for you. It'll be good for my Dutch and your Fandom!

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    How ironic would it be if Valverde stopped you and went tongues in when he was passing the other way?
    @JaunePeril

• Anonymous
    sjmclean wrote:

If you'll indulge me, and give me a couple of days, I can try and translate it for you. It'll be good for my Dutch and your Fandom!

Fantastic. Thank you so much. Can't wait to read it.
  • sjmclean wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

I'll get started tonight and PM it at some point this week.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Nah, post it up here!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    sjmclean wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

I'll get started tonight and PM it at some point this week.

Share the love.

edit: or what ddraver said.