So Wiggos now gone...

Ashbeck
Ashbeck Posts: 235
edited April 2015 in Pro race
How do people feel about it? Will Sky be better or worse for it? good or bad? just curious..

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Won't notice it all that much.

He's his own man and he does his own thing. He uses the team when he needs to (like for stage races), and he doesn't when he doesn't.

He didn't do all that much races post 2012, so I don't think it will change much.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Looking forward to G, Standard and Rowe in the classics next year. I hope G focuses more on classics than trying to turn himself into a GT contender which i think he could possibly do
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I hope G focuses more on classics than trying to turn himself into a GT contender which i think he could possibly do

I agree, but you have to think of the poor guy's livelihood. I assume a GT win would be more lucrative.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

He's his own man and he does his own thing. He uses the team when he needs to (like for stage races), and he doesn't when he doesn't.

He didn't do all that much races post 2012, so I don't think it will change much.

Don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do have that little nagging "what if..?"

I'd have liked to have seen him spend a few seasons throwing himself into the classics (not just targeting one race). There's no doubt that with his engine he could have ripped people's legs off if he was in form and made the right moves. I don't think that suited his temperament though, he needs a single target to aim for.

I hope he smashes the hour and finds the track form to make a big impact at the Olympics.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Gone from the riders lists on their site already!

I unashamedly love the man, so I'm sad we (probably) won't be seeing him in any more high profile TTs.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Don't think it will make a difference one way or the other. For the other guys on the team it may be a positive in that they won't need to worry about which Wiggins will turn up

It strikes me as odd that everyone is talking like he's gone but he'll be at Yorkshire in a few weeks riding for Top-Bonk-Schleppers / Team Wiggins.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:
    Don't think it will make a difference one way or the other. For the other guys on the team it may be a positive in that they won't need to worry about which Wiggins will turn up

It strikes me as odd that everyone is talking like he's gone but he'll be at Yorkshire in a few weeks riding for Top-Bonk-Schleppers / Team Wiggins.

Ahem.

Chipper.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Its an odd semi-retirement thing

great career

hope he does the hour justice...the Olympics feel like a cash in on the uk public to me.

Sky will go on. they look to be learning the classics craft and have a team similar to QS etix in having a range of riders who can fire off down the road. after these few years I must admit sky have impressed me, was skeptical at first. wiggo was a big part of that.

this year PR was neutralised by QS and Sky cancelling each other out and opening it up to others... I think
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    hope he does the hour justice...the Olympics feel like a cash in on the uk public to me.
    Bit harsh. An Olympic gold medal is not to be considered lightly - also the GB pursuit squad are nowhere near being favourites - Wiggo is taking a big gamble in pushing on for one more games.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mididoctors
    Daz555 wrote:
    Bit harsh. An Olympic gold medal is not to be considered lightly - also the GB pursuit squad are nowhere near being favourites - Wiggo is taking a big gamble in pushing on for one more games.

been there kinda feel...bit harsh yeah maybe, its more how I feel about it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    fan of wiggo btw...I think his achievements are underated
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Daz555 wrote:

The point about the lympics is to become the most bemeadled Brit.
    Not likely to manage two golds though, which he would need to be unequivocally above Hoy.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Daz555 wrote:

That's a great avi, Daz.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I agree with iain re Sky - thank goodness they can now concentrate on winning races rather than winning round Wiggins. It is also nice to know that the eight riders in your team will be a teammate.

I also agree that although he has a spectacular palmares, he has a lot of unrealized lesser wins and performances. But I guess that is how he races. With ITT power that he has there is no reason he couldn't ride people off his wheel at will or go for a long solo raid a la Panzerwagen.

Respect his talents and achievements, but wont miss him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I agree with iain re Sky - thank goodness they can now concentrate on winning races rather than winning round Wiggins. It is also nice to know that the eight riders in your team will be a teammate.

I also agree that although he has a spectacular palmares, he has a lot of unrealized lesser wins and performances. But I guess that is how he races. With ITT power that he has there is no reason he couldn't ride people off his wheel at will or go for a long solo raid a la Panzerwagen.

Respect his talents and achievements, but wont miss him.

That's kind of how I feel about him. You wonder what he and Sky might have been able to do if not for his slightly fragile and quirky mentality, though he's still got some massive achievements, and could still have another at Rio. As it is I think Sky will probably be quietly relieved he's moved on.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • The sport needs characters and the top level has just lost a big one.

Probably the best male cyclist Britain has ever produced, imagine what he could have acheieved if the BC/Sky infrastructure had been set up in 2000!

Also, I don't think he's ever sought or received credit enough for the money he put into Wiggle Honda on the women's side
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    They won't get as much coverage from the media (except themselves). But they will gain from having more money to spend on ambitious riders.
  • rick_chasey
    Good to see you posting a bit more midi.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Quite so. Wiggo's career to date has been a mere warm up for the challenges of the Cow and Calf out of Ilkley and Black Hill Road on the 3rd day of the Tour!
  • mididoctors
    The sport needs characters and the top level has just lost a big one.

Probably the best male cyclist Britain has ever produced,

I would say that is a unequivocal yes in my book...one of the greatest cyclists of all time.... plus the history involved. that one perfect season he had was remarkable.

very important character in the history of the sport. Remembered for all the right reasons.

Perfect human being..no who is?
  • rick_chasey

I would say that is a unequivocal yes in my book...one of the greatest cyclists of all time.... plus the history involved. that one perfect season he had was remarkable.

very important character in the history of the sport. Remembered for all the right reasons.

Come on. With hindsight it's all very glamorous but f*ck me he got there in the most boring way imaginable.

When his team mate riding up for about 300m before coming back is the most exciting thing in the entire Tour, you really are clutching at straws.
  • The sport needs characters and the top level has just lost a big one.

Come on. With hindsight it's all very glamorous but f*ck me he got there in the most boring way imaginable.

When his team mate riding up for about 300m before coming back is the most exciting thing in the entire Tour, you really are clutching at straws.

Do they give extra points for style?

You play to your strengths, and then it's up to others to beat you
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    For sure, but come on.

Hardly Merckxian was it?
  • mididoctors

+1

team sky re -wrote the book in that tour...the lack of challengers was the problem from a spectators POV.

they built there strategy around wiggins strength and buried everyone
  • mididoctors
    For sure, but come on.

Hardly Merckxian was it?

well who is?
    and that sort of riding is not possible now...no cyclist entering the pro peleton from this year on is going to win 500+ races..

the comparison needs to address the times
  • rick_chasey
    Ja look.

By the book yes, it's all very impressive. But let's face it, without the fans and the spectacle it's all nothing, right? It's all there for a bit of fun and entertainment.

Will I be furiously googling Chickasmith's upload of the 2012 Tour highlights in 10 years time? Hell no. Did all of his 'great rides' set me alight? No. His TT was probably the most exciting bit ,which say something.

Part of being great is how you achieve greatness right?
  • No_Ta_Doctor

+1

team sky re -wrote the book in that tour...the lack of challengers was the problem from a spectators POV.

they built there strategy around wiggins strength and buried everyone

Yep. Hardly Wiggins/Sky's fault nobody could get close. Don't blame them for being boring, blame the rest for not doing more.
  • rick_chasey
    For sure, but come on.

Hardly Merckxian was it?

well who is?
    and that sort of riding is not possible now...no cyclist entering the pro peloton from this year on is going to win 500+ races..

the comparison needs to address the times

Contador, IMO...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do have that little nagging "what if..?"

I'd have liked to have seen him spend a few seasons throwing himself into the classics (not just targeting one race). There's no doubt that with his engine he could have ripped people's legs off if he was in form and made the right moves. I don't think that suited his temperament though, he needs a single target to aim for.

I hope he smashes the hour and finds the track form to make a big impact at the Olympics.

This. We saw 2 or 3 glimpses of what he could have done had he re-invented himself as a Classics rider but it always felt like he was playing at it a bit.