Transition Scout

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The top tube is very low but it's a large frame.
    This rides similar to your Mega but Transition seem to have made the Scout even more of a hooligan. Maybe it just suits me better but I seem to be constantly in the air on this bike and I find it easier to manual, probably because it fits me better than the Mega did.
    My last ride on my Mega TR was so much fun. An uplift day at Triscombe getting chased by mates on bigger bikes who should have been faster on those trails. I did get genuinely scared on a couple really steep rocky sections at speed though!
    Sounds perfect to me! :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    cracking looking bike mate! A nice upgrade from the Mega and less common too!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There is a good reason why the Mega is common. Its a brilliant ride and great value.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Definitely - same reason the Mega is one of few bikes I've kept for almost a full year! (You regulars will know what I'm like with regard to changing bikes...)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    This rides similar to your Mega but Transition seem to have made the Scout even more of a hooligan. Maybe it just suits me better but I seem to be constantly in the air on this bike and I find it easier to manual, probably because it fits me better than the Mega did.

I've had my Bandit for a few years now (it was the first XL from the original distributor) and what you've said there is still what I find myself puzzling over every time I ride it. It rides like an XC bike when you want to cover miles or get uphill but as soon as you point it downhill or at technical tracks it's just so easy to forget you're on a "limited travel" bike. It rides downhill WAY better than it's travel. The easier to manual is because of the seat post geo (on the Bandit) which makes it easier to get behind it and drive it up onto it's back wheel.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I want to say something mean... but I can't...
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    There is a good reason why the Mega is common. Its a brilliant ride and great value.

I agree, I had one myself for 18 months or so remember before I bought the Five. Although mine was the original version, which had the geometry similar to the newer Mega AM and i didn't get on with the short top tube and long chain stays. The TR that you had on paper was a much better fit for me, I'd like to have a go on one to see how different it is from mine.
  • rockmonkeysc
    11145563_10205482780982235_2448954636273429249_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=d5f0520c045b97a338d302060069e0fa&oe=55D53D47&__gda__=1440157218_9a2dd4d6c19de8069562b984cb3f8f4b

Cane Creek shock fitted. Feels incredible. Like having a bigger bike but not bigger.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    wow, how long are your legs RM? I know it has a low top tube but that's a serious saddle drop
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Haha I was just thinking the same! that looks like a bigger drop than on most xc race bikes!!
    Lovely looking build though! I really like the look of the new Marzocchi forks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They are actually the old model 350cr fork, the new ones have the same colour gold stanchions as Rockshox used to use. If I had the cash I would get the top model 350ncr with the low friction coating and skf seals.
    The saddle is actuall level, I run the bars low because it just suits my riding style.
  • rockmonkeysc
    This bike is so good. I'm still grinning like an idiot after every ride. It's amazingly capable for a bike with only 5" rear suspension.
    After watching a video of local pro rider, Chris Smith hitting a 40 foot gap on his Scout I'm starting to think about going bigger on mine.
    Still keep swapping between the Debonair and DB Inline shocks, both have their good and bad points. Might go for keeping the Debonair and getting a Fox Van RC with a PUSH tune for the Alps this summer.
  • rockmonkeysc
    New bits on order. Absolute Black oval chainring in black and 32. ODI Ruffian grips in blue. Slick Graphics decals for the forks in blue and black.
    Photos will follow as soon as it's all fitted.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    New bits on order. Absolute Black oval chainring in black and 32. ODI Ruffian grips in blue. Slick Graphics decals for the forks in blue and black.

Oval chainring review required when you have it please! One is in my basket at CRC awaiting an order.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Nice work..
  • rockmonkeysc

Oval chainring review required when you have it please! One is in my basket at CRC awaiting an order.

It arrived today. Already fitted and I'm off for a ride tonight to try it before a 45 mile ride on Saturday.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583

do it, I'm liking mine better and better the more I use it
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    After ten minutes I didn't notice that it felt odd. I did find that I was climbing in a higher gear than normal.
    Strangely I thought it smoothed out the force from my pedalling to give a smaller power delivery.
  • rockmonkeysc
    New for graphics looking proper pimp 8)
    Also new Absolute Black oval chain ring, Rock Guardz carbon frame guard and ODI Ruffian blue grips.
    I'm loving this bike, it's so much fun to ride :D
    I took it on a 75km xc event yesterday and still found myself waiting for gaps so I could smash the descents but still found the climbs pretty good, especially the last climb with the free isotonic racing cider at the top!

10431444_10205639872829433_812585460420533868_n.jpg?oh=285166442cc31384e0174dc306a30a87&oe=55D40F83

10384290_10205639874189467_3017131665721644986_n.jpg?oh=182565e2ce8c1c7446cb602bb235a276&oe=55CD0B8F
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    how come you are running the monarch rather than the inline?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Still trying to decide which to stick with. Both have good and bad points. The Scout has a more active rear end than me after a vindaloo. With the super sensitive DB Inline it's possibly a bit too active, I did try to tune it out but couldnt quite get there.
    The Monarch is actually pretty good now that it has bedded in.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    hey rmsc do you find the oval chainring worthy upgrade?
    my blackspire has tons of miles left in it, actually never thought would last that long but I am intrigued by the ovals..
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    It is marginally better. I wouldn't replace a round one with plenty of life in it.
    The power delivery feels smoother with an oval ring.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I will work my legs a bit more then, and see budget wise at the end of summer, hot, dust and humid weather down here doesn't treat parts well

the scout is a great machine by the way, like it much, slack and as much travel needed to attack anything.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a Blackspire NW on my Bronson and it shows no sign of wear as yet - the Oval is on my radar but will probably be joined by XT 11 speed kit when the One up cassette and chain have had their day.

Scout looks good - seen a few of them and a few Patrols around here they look wicked fun.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    This weekend I'm going to have a bash at 4x racing in the British 4x at Redhill.
    Changed a few things to hopefully make the bike a bit better suited to big berms and big jumps. Bigger chainring to help at higher speed, couldn't be bothered to fit a longer chain so adjusted the limit screw to block gears which my chain is too short for. Short, old style seat post, the Reverb wouldn't go right down in the frame. Really stiffened up the rear shock and slowed the rebound to hopefully be a bit better on big jumps.

11425225_10205845760736502_8421861945335273565_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=e86ffa145299012e9776a0d942aa5c36&oe=56354A72&__gda__=1445840048_f0ae2e4de642a80b74a9404185b27d82
  • rockmonkeysc
    A couple pics from this weekends British 4x. Managed two thirds and a second, qualified for the final and binned it half way down the run. Awesome fun racing :D

11536478_660589207375951_4943090479056351448_o.jpg

11427381_660589310709274_9184144997367285601_o.jpg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Good work!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    How's the Rockguarz down tube protector? Looking at one for my Trance, how's the quality etc?
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's simple to fit, looks nice and does the job well. There's no Velcro or cable ties etc, it's molded to fit tightly around the frame, you warn it up in hot water to soften it and then open it out a touch to get it over the tube.