Three Days De Panne 2015 *Spoilers*

12346»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Spectacular ride from a loser to win the time trial and get onto the GC podium. :lol:
    Very, very impressed by Kristoff, who is looking a real threat for Sunday.
    Stijn showing that there is still life in the old Devolder yet.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andytee87 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    I'm sure the time trial expert knows.

He has an opinion of the course. I would like to know why he has that opinion. Its pretty simple.

Frenchie, this is from Colin Lynch on Twitter, Pokerface as he is on here:

"#DDP Watching riders avoiding tramlines left, right and centre is insane"

My comment was actually in relation to the final road stage as they came into town.

But if the TT was in the same area, I can see why Wiggins wouldn't have liked it.

I watched a bit of it and I saw a lot of dodgy corners, 180 degree turns in the road, etc. Not really a course for the TT purist.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Crampeur wrote:

What is sh*t about the course?

Ever been to De Panne at this time of year? Think deserted seaside town with a howling, cold wind coming in off the sea. All a bit depressing. Then add in the uninspiring course...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

Ever been to De Panne at this time of year? Think deserted seaside town with a howling, cold wind coming in off the sea. All a bit depressing. Then add in the uninspiring course...
    Mind you, Wiggins said he's down to do a 'ten' in Hull in June, so he's not really seeking out the glamour.

Wiggins interview BTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0buv4xzAg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • "At this time of year" is wholly redundant in that sentence
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks Rich, great interview. Makes a good point about the going out this way, on his terms. Probably the only thing he's done on his terms since 2012.
  • RichN95.
    sjmclean wrote:
    Thanks Rich, great interview. Makes a good point about the going out this way, on his terms. Probably the only thing he's done on his terms since 2012.

The loons didn't think so:

Fuck the hypocrisy @Digger_forum · 5h 5 hours ago
    r it's sky, it's never never land. And we get these tough questions from the media!

Yeah, because asking a classics favourite about the classics is somehow wrong

Paul Kimmage @PaulKimmage · 3h 3 hours ago
    CIRC? Tramadol? Cortisone abuse? Weight loss? Leinders? No, it's another free pass for Wiggins.

And did you ask Matt Hampson about steroids in rugby? No. Or Padraig Harrington about racism in golf? No. Or anyone about anything contentious outside cycling? No. I've certainly heard Lionel Birnie ask these questions to Sky. Are doping questions the only ones to ask?

Fuck the hypocrisy @Digger_forum · 3h 3 hours ago
    And you can never level that at Kimmage. He's a lone wolf at the tour. And isn't diluted by the input of the others.

So he never turns up to races and actually talks to anyone. The way of the extremist.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good interview from him. Don't think I've ever seen him talking so long after a race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mind you, Wiggins said he's down to do a 'ten' in Hull in June, so he's not really seeking out the glamour.

Interesting, guess he wants his 10 record back.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes that'll be that superfast Hull 10 course wont it - be interesting to see a TdF winner mixing it with the traffic on a dual carriageway !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Im not on Twitter, but I assume Kimmage has banged the same drum about every other rider who's had the temerity to win a race this year? Or that he will be making a beeline to the Campanile in Kortrijk to ask these questions himself?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Just watched the Wiggins interview... I've had shingles and it sucks. Its when the chickenpox virus that lies dormant in your spine after you recover reanimamates and travels upone of your ribs causing shooting pains and a rash. Bloody sore.

@gietvangent
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Im not on Twitter, but I assume Kimmage has banged the same drum about every other rider who's had the temerity to win a race this year? Or that he will be making a beeline to the Campanile in Kortrijk to ask these questions himself?

You are joking. Now his mate digger is banging on about how Wiggins' dispensation to ride Yorkshire is the same as Lance riding TDU in '09. No it isn't, Wiggins is in the testing pool and will remain so as a national squad / prospective olympian.
  • RichN95.
    Im not on Twitter, but I assume Kimmage has banged the same drum about every other rider who's had the temerity to win a race this year? Or that he will be making a beeline to the Campanile in Kortrijk to ask these questions himself?
    He does, just as long as they ride for Sky. He knows his audience.

He also makes out that other British journalists won't do this or they'll lose access. But the only two cyclists Kimmage has interviewed in the last year ride for Sky.
  • RichN95.
    mm1 wrote:
    You are joking. Now his mate digger is banging on about how Wiggins' dispensation to ride Yorkshire is the same as Lance riding TDU in '09. No it isn't, Wiggins is in the testing pool and will remain so as a national squad / prospective olympian.
    Yep. The issue with Wiggins isn't whether he is eligible to ride in a race but what jersey he wears.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Crampeur wrote:

Love the way he answers the "why did you ride De Panne" with the "correct" answer of "traditional prep for Flanders", and later goes on to call it "this shithole of a race" :-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    I think Richard Moore was probably the only one in that interviewing huddle who understood what Wiggins was talking about with 'doing a ten in Hull'.

Certainly sounds like he wants a crack at getting his record back.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    RichN95 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:
    Yep. The issue with Wiggins isn't whether he is eligible to ride in a race but what jersey he wears.

Rohan Dennis swapped from Garmin to BMC, in the middle of last season, then rode the Vuelta for the latter.
    Digger must have had plenty to say about that, since now we're only talking the ToY. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Just watched the Wiggins interview... I've had shingles and it sucks. Its when the chickenpox virus that lies dormant in your spine after you recover reanimamates and travels upone of your ribs causing shooting pains and a rash. Bloody sore.

I'm a sworn enemy of the chickenpox virus now.

I'm supposed to be on holiday. However that bloody virus put pay to that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From someone on WW. Note how Kristoff's pixels near the line are darker.
    cZuQDmC.png
    ISR2STQ.png
    Contador is the Greatest