Ditchling Devil 2015

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just over a week to go and my preparation has amounted to zilch. I've scarcely ridden more than 10 miles in one go this year and my breathing is still cr@p. Menthel, can you drive in the collar? If so are you going to drive the team car so you can offer us drinks to help us up any slight inclines? ;-)

Unfortunately not, especially as I am spending quite a lot of my time off my tits on codeine at present! Performance enhancing I reckon! ;)
    Yes, wasn't entirely serious there, I'd have thought it a bad idea even without the drugs. Mind you, lots of people seem to drive without looking around.
    Mattsaw, I think we were kind of waved off at 8am. There was no particular rush. I'll be on a green Kinesis Pro6.

Are you riding over to the start Steve? Fancy meeting at RP? I have no idea how to get to the start.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Asprilla wrote:
    Are you riding over to the start Steve? Fancy meeting at RP? I have no idea how to get to the start.
    Yes, meet at the car park by Kingston Gate? The quickest way is through the park to Robin Hood gate then up the A3 to Roehampton Lane then cut across Wimbledon Common. Can you cope with gravelly paths? Kind of like the one around the edge of RP. Actually we could meet at Robin Hood gate, that would save you going over the hill at the end of the day assuming you are beaching a car. By that time you won't want to climb any more hills.
    I'm having serious doubts about my ability to complete this due to the total lack of miles I've done this year. Also getting major grief off the Mrs as I'm still not right. I will probably bail at Brighton as a result, assuming I make it that far.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    My wife and I will be stamping your cards at the end so do say hello.

It is a fantastic route with some good lumps and some fast and flat bits to make time up.

I had planned to ride the route on Saturday, but my knee is a little sore after my first fixed 600 at the weekend.

Anyway, fingers crossed for good weather and see you all at the end!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Looking forward to it (I think) - first Audax for me. I'll be the one in the Harlequins cycling jersey.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    First audax for me too. Will be riding with a bunch of peeps too. Will probably be on my black felt. If not a red Arthur Cargill.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • haywire
    haywire Posts: 23
    Looking forward to this. Umming and ahing over whether to ride the 40-ish k to the start, or whether that will tip me over the edge...
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Very jealous! Looks like decent enough weather for the trip too. 2016 for me for my next Devil!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Yes, meet at the car park by Kingston Gate? The quickest way is through the park to Robin Hood gate then up the A3 to Roehampton Lane then cut across Wimbledon Common. Can you cope with gravelly paths? Kind of like the one around the edge of RP. Actually we could meet at Robin Hood gate, that would save you going over the hill at the end of the day assuming you are beaching a car. By that time you won't want to climb any more hills.
    I'm having serious doubts about my ability to complete this due to the total lack of miles I've done this year. Also getting major grief off the Mrs as I'm still not right. I will probably bail at Brighton as a result, assuming I make it that far.

I'll be riding the whole thing. RH gate it is then. What time is good for you?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'll be riding the whole thing. RH gate it is then. What time is good for you?
    7.30 at Robin Hood. Gives us loads of time to get there and have a bite to eat and sign on. I think there was food at the start point last time, certainly drinks. I'll pm you my mobile in case of any problems on the day.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Oh yes... doughnuts.... mmmmmmm
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • menthel
    I am soooooo bloody jealous! I have today managed an epic walk into Raynes Park and am now having to rest with a cold coffee in starpiss. Oh the indignity.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Good lucks guys and enjoy, I'm off to Wales this weekend for 3 nights at the 5* Celtic Manor Resort, might slay a dragon on Sunday if it doesn't kill me first ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • veronese68
    Ta, and good luck with the dragon.
  • menthel
    Have a great ride everyone!
    RIP commute...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Bugger, I'm ill. Don't think I'm going to make tomorrow. My throat feels like someone has taken a cheese grater to it, my glands are swollen and walking is a fecking chore.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    Sorry to hear that Elbow, thanks Menthel. Shame you can't make it. I'll be doing Ditchling without the Devil and bail at Brighton due to pressure and worrying from the family. But I get to go to a barbecue at my sisters so I'll be having a cold beer as the rest of you ride back. :-)
  • asprilla
    I look forward to the return leg in the headwind on my own once you've bailed on me Mr68.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    I look forward to the return leg in the headwind on my own once you've bailed on me Mr68.
    :oops: I'm sure we'll pick up some others for you to ride with. Or you could feign an injury and come for the BBQ.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Good lucks guys. Enjoy.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    have fun, seems quite nice weather for it!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Beautiful morning and 280ish riders on the road.

There's a few snaps on the Audax UK Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 642&type=1

Few of the faces on here are featured in the pics.

Hope all the riders are enjoying the day. I will be checking them in at the finish - first riders usually start to roll in after about 7.5 hours and the last about 13.5 hours, so it's going to be a long afternoon and evening!
  • asprilla
    Well, I didn't finish.

Cramp in both thighs after Coombe Bottom so on the way through Esher I just turned off and came home rather than go up to RP and come back.

Got to say that the route, organisation and stops were amazing. I loved it, despite the pain.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    You got a lot further than me. I was utterly done for by the time I'd got up Ditchling. Beer and food at my sisters in Brighton was good and very welcome. Then had a walk along the front before being driven back. As we crossed the bottom of Kingston Hill I saw some of the riders in Molesey CC kit heading for the park.
    Excellent organisation and a brilliant ride. Huge thanks to all of the organisers. I'll do it properly next year.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    We managed to make it back, 3 out of the 5 bailed just before Coombe Lane, I felt similarly, but managed to latch onto a group with a decent pace just before Cobham.

As others have said the organisation was fantastic. Strava tells me I burnt around 5k calories. I think I ate twice that in bacon rolls cake, Jaffa cakes and pizza.

The organisers deserve a medal
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • menthel
    Sounds like a good day to me! The organisation is superb and it is always easy to eat more calories than burned on an Audax! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You got a lot further than me. I was utterly done for by the time I'd got up Ditchling. Beer and food at my sisters in Brighton was good and very welcome. Then had a walk along the front before being driven back. As we crossed the bottom of Kingston Hill I saw some of the riders in Molesey CC kit heading for the park.
    Excellent organisation and a brilliant ride. Huge thanks to all of the organisers. I'll do it properly next year.

I will be there for 2016 as long as I don't have any incidents to stop it!
    RIP commute...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Why so many DNF???

Lovely day without a breath of wind... I don't understand... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    Why so many DNF???

I simply don't have the miles in my legs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    Why so many DNF???

I simply don't have the miles in my legs.
    This, but even more so. After feeling so rough for so long I just haven't ridden my bike more than going to work and back for ages.
  • veronese68
    Mattsaw wrote:
    We managed to make it back, 3 out of the 5 bailed just before Coombe Lane, I felt similarly, but managed to latch onto a group with a decent pace just before Cobham.

As others have said the organisation was fantastic. Strava tells me I burnt around 5k calories. I think I ate twice that in bacon rolls cake, Jaffa cakes and pizza.

The organisers deserve a medal
    Were you on a pale blue Ritte? Did some wierdo on a green bike pull up next to you at that horrible junction after Ditchling? Hello if that was you.
    Met Vimfuego and Ian at the start. Nice to meet you Vim, good to see you again Ian. Vim was gone by St Helier so I guess he did ok. Didn't see Ian after the start. Hope you enjoyed it.