Ditchling Devil 2015

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited June 2015 in Commuting chat
Anyone fancy joining me on this one (again- you know who you are!)? Its a great ride, well organised with plenty of cake and with a good route. 200km out from Wimbledon Common and back to Richmond Park via Ditchling Beacon, Devils Dyke and Coombe Lane.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-888/

Real men Audax. ;)
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Are you insane? Did that half marathon rattle your brain around that head of yours too much and loosen a couple of screws? My aris took months to recover last time, that was way too long in the saddle.
    Maybe.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Are you insane? Did that half marathon rattle your brain around that head of yours too much and loosen a couple of screws? My aris took months to recover last time, that was way too long in the saddle.
    Maybe.

Probably but given my immediate retirement from the world of half marathon running I feel I have to keep up something daft that will leave me feeling like I have been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson in his pomp.

Do it!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very keen. Will check availability.
  • menthel
    coriordan wrote:

Excellent!
    RIP commute...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    coriordan wrote:

Snap.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    Fools! Just looked at the website and will check availability with the EPO.
  • menthel
    *Mr Burns mode* Exceeeeeeelent!
    RIP commute...
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    How do.
    That looks a) mental and b) interesting..... Am doing LEJOG in September so this looks like good training mileage to me. I'll check the date with the diary/wife and let you know
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • menthel
    It's good fun. The route rolls along nicely with the biggest climbs being out through Coulsdon, then the big coastal lumps at Ditchling and Devils dyke and the Coombe lane. We don't go flying and make sure we enjoy the hospitality at the stops- cake, pasta, rice pudding and other delights.

Steve was by far the freshest of us all by the end of it last year so I am not sure why he is moaning! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • vimfuego
    Well, I have secured a pass from the commandant, so count me in.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    Steve was by far the freshest of us all by the end of it last year so I am not sure why he is moaning! ;)
    As I recall that fool was moaning like a drain and was using phrases like "never again". :mrgreen:
    It was a lovely day and I managed to get a tan only on my left side.
  • menthel
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    As I recall that fool was moaning like a drain and was using phrases like "never again". :mrgreen:

How did you manage that?

As I remember, I was completely knackered, Lee had bonked and you were like a shining beacon of sanity at the end! ;) I did get home and eat my own weight in Chinese takeaway though.

Perhaps we should try for a beer at the end of this years. ;)
    RIP commute...
  • veronese68
    menthel wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    menthel wrote:

How did you manage that?

As I remember, I was completely knackered, Lee had bonked and you were like a shining beacon of sanity at the end! ;) I did get home and eat my own weight in Chinese takeaway though.

Perhaps we should try for a beer at the end of this years. ;)
    Well, the sun was to our left all day. We were riding South in the morning and North in the afternoon. Yes, we must do beer at the end this time. If I do it of course.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    How fit do you have to be to do something stupid like this? My regular 5 day commuting distance is 180-200k per week, so if I add a longer ride home midweek and a longish to long ride at the weekend, I should be OK by the date of the event?
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    What was last years time, start to finish?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • menthel
    hopkinb wrote:
    How fit do you have to be to do something stupid like this? My regular 5 day commuting distance is 180-200k per week, so if I add a longer ride home midweek and a longish to long ride at the weekend, I should be OK by the date of the event?

Your commute will put you in good stead. I did the Dunwich Dynamo (~190k) having only ever done 100k before. Get some consecutive miles on your legs with some lumpy bits involved and you should be fine.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    What was last years time, start to finish?

About 12 hours I think, including plenty of sitting round eating chatting etc.
    RIP commute...
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I could be up for this. One of my targets this year is to do more longer distance rides.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    90% in, just need to check with the other half that I can put in the extra miles at the weekend while she deals with the kids.
    I will probably also need to buy a new bike...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I could be up for this too. Good training for L'etape.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Right. I'm in, all booked and paid for.

If I didn't do it now I might change my mind.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vimfuego
    I'm booked and paid up too.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • menthel
    Blimey, looks like we might well have a decent SCR contingent!
    RIP commute...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ok, booked and paid.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dammit. I am sailing that weekend and definitely can't get out of it.

Is there a GPX? Could be worth a recce at some stage in the future.
  • menthel
    coriordan wrote:

Should be one on the website linked through the auk page.

The rest of you had better get growing beards and buying spd sandals and carradices...
    RIP commute...
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Hey I've been thinking about doing this and was even trying unsuccessfully to find the thread from last year, as I remembered some of you did it then but couldn't remember who. I'd better sign up then!
  • vimfuego
    menthel wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

The rest of you had better get growing beards and buying spd sandals and carradices...

I'm looking at recumbants as we speak......
    :D
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • menthel
    vimfuego wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

I'm looking at recumbants as we speak......
    :D

Trike or bike? ;)

The amount of carbon bling last year was silly. I suspect I will ride mine this time round.
    RIP commute...
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    edited March 2015
    This all sounds like great fun - I'm very tempted (if I can get the pass out.....)

Is one of these things easy to do without having a Garmin or being a championship map reader? I know there's great danger in just following other people.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this