Oleg has suspended Riis

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,428
    I wonder what the marketing types at Saxobank make of this.

They're unlikely to be impressed. Saxo is a Danish bank that Riis brought on board. They bought into Riis, not Tinkov. Tinkov has been trying to wind up Danes in general. I don't think Saxo are going to be around as sponsors much longer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    I wonder what the marketing types at Saxobank make of this.

They're unlikely to be impressed. Saxo is a Danish bank that Riis brought on board. They bought into Riis, not Tinkov. Tinkov has been trying to wind up Danes in general. I don't think Saxo are going to be around as sponsors much longer.
    Compounding Oleg's problems as he'll have to either increase his outlay or offload some talent.
  • Was just reading the Inner Ring piece and saw the deal Riis cut Oleg on what essentially amounts to a business that can't turn a profit and has no real assets... You wouldn't buy a car off Bjarne Riis, would you?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,215
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    r0bh wrote:

Phenomenally good.

Was just about to post it myself
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    He has...erm...matured (?) into a fantastic writer has Mr Friebe
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    Nice article thanks for posting - assuming it's true nice to have some genuine insight into team dynamics.

I suppose cycling has always been a bit jobs for the boys and if it is no longer Riis' own money at stake I can imagine that it would be very easy for the team to become over staffed and a bit too comfortable.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Based on Sagan's interviews over the years, I wonder what language the argument between him and Tinkov was in ?
  • andy_wrx
    r0bh wrote:
    It was not the first time that Tinkov had wondered about the way his team was being managed. The difference being that, this time, Tinkov decided that Riis needed to prove himself. He duly ordered the 1996 Tour winner to take Steven de Jongh's place in the first team car the following day. Tinkov presumably wasn’t impressed with what he saw, for the team’s Technical Manager, Ricardo Scheidecker, was behind the wheel for the final stage of Tirreno and at Milan-San Remo the following weekend.
    Now that's a different take on it than wanting De Jongh out of the car - he actually wanted Riis in it
  • andy_wrx
    CompanySummaryChart2_image.aspx?mcode=TIT.TCS.LID&key=US87238U2033USUSDIOBE&imageFormat=png
    Tinkoff Bank shareprice

Ah well, never mind
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Sean Yates to manage?
  • Too busy in semi-retirement with his coaching business.
  • iainf72
    Too busy in semi-retirement with his coaching business.

You know he's a DS on Tinkoff, right?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    andy_wrx wrote:
    CompanySummaryChart2_image.aspx?mcode=TIT.TCS.LID&key=US87238U2033USUSDIOBE&imageFormat=png
    Tinkoff Bank shareprice

Ah well, never mind
    Still, it looks like a good profile for Sagan to come third on.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Boom!

To be fair though I suspect that's what any Russian company's profile looks like...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Tinkoff Bank shareprice

Ah well, never mind
    Still, it looks like a good profile for Sagan to come third on.

tumblr_inline_n327sfUDU01r3x7o0.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Phenomenally good.

Was just about to post it myself

Phenomenally? For someone who is very reserved with their praise this is high praise indeed. Why is it phenomenal? Or is it just because you are basically all over everything that bloke says?!

Definitely a good article though. I wasn't aware of Riis aloofness, distraction, lack of focus etc. I have revised my opinion of him down a few notches and given some equilibrium to my thoughts on the move by Oleg.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72

Phenomenally? For someone who is very reserved with their praise this is high praise indeed. Why is it phenomenal? Or is it just because you are basically all over everything that bloke says?!

Lots of background, insider info. Not just guess work, and nicely put together.

Surprised you didn't know what Riis was like - Ever seen him interviewed?

Freibos and I had some fun disagreements when he used to post here.
  • RichN95.
    The path has been cleared for the dream move: A Bjarne Riis/Jeremy Clarkson job swap. Oleg gets a man willing to shout and swear at cyclists and foreigners while Bjarne gets to find out which supercar is the best for watching TV box sets in.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    Surprised you didn't know what Riis was like - Ever seen him interviewed?

Freibos and I had some fun disagreements when he used to post here.

No not really, he is a bit of a shadow man.

Kleber?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    The path has been cleared for the dream move: A Bjarne Riis/Jeremy Clarkson job swap. Oleg gets a man willing to shout and swear at cyclists and foreigners while Bjarne gets to find out which supercar is the best for watching TV box sets in.

Damn I was just going to suggest that. :P
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    dupe delete
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,968
    It will be a dangerous path for the sport if manager sackings start to become the norm. Perfect breeding ground for 'win at all costs' tactics.
  • Just read the Friebe piece, is it me or does Saxo Sport sound like the living worst?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Just read the Friebe piece, is it me or does Saxo Sport sound like the living worst?

No. Not just you.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    Just read the Friebe piece, is it me or does Saxo Sport sound like the living worst?
    Yeah, they're pretty ropey.
    citroen_saxo_sport_wallpaper-t2.jpg
  • Zing!

@gietvangent
  • When did Freibos used to post here?
  • frenchfighter
    Bjarne_Riis_Oleg_Tinkov_onBike.jpg

Saxo Bank CEO Lars Seier Christensen has said he believes it is possible to resolve the current situation between Oleg Tinkov and Bjarne Riis, the owner and manager of the Tinkoff-Saxo team, and has offered to personally mediate between the two in order to find a solution.
    Contador is the Greatest