Paris-Nice **SPOILERS**

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,568
    Reports coming in that Boonen hasn't broken his collarbone. Shoulder sprain.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I didn't see the stage but it's quite a strange looking result. Greipel, Demare and Degenkolb nowhere in a bunch sprint? Apparently Degenkolb didn't have a mechanical. He just went too early and ran out of legs.

That's a pretty impressive result for Kristoff. To beat the likes of Sagan and Boonen is one thing but to beat Bouhanni in a bunch sprint shows he's fast full stop.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,956
    Man, being a cycling fan is cruel.

Even being a glory hunter and supporting one of the most successful classics riders of his generation is mainly a tale of disappointment.

At least, they're the bits I remember.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Boonen out for 6 weeks.

Classics are now dead to me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,473
    Milton50 wrote:
    I didn't see the stage but it's quite a strange looking result. Greipel, Demare and Degenkolb nowhere in a bunch sprint? Apparently Degenkolb didn't have a mechanical. He just went too early and ran out of legs.

That's a pretty impressive result for Kristoff. To beat the likes of Sagan and Boonen is one thing but to beat Bouhanni in a bunch sprint shows he's fast full stop.

Bouhani's reputation is based on a Giro where the only other sprinter smashed him twice in two stages then went home.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Did my eyes deceive me or did I really just see a pair of top mounted brake levers on Voeckler's bike? :shock:
    They deceive you.
    No Rick they were there. I was agog. Does he ride Robert Millar style with his hands right beside his stem or something?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    gsk82 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Bouhani's reputation is based on a Giro where the only other sprinter smashed him twice in two stages then went home.

He won two Vuelta stages as well, against Degnkolb. He's a long way behind Kittel and Cav but I think most people would have said he's faster than Kristoff in a bunch sprint.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,473
    Kristoff has been mixing it with the top sprinters this year so far though. Bouhani hasn't ever come close to them. The fact that John Degnkolb can win 4 or 5 Vuelta stages a year shows the quality of the sprinters there.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Another Kristoff win :roll:

FIN_STD_IMG.jpg

Looked very cold out there today (note that Haussler again doesn't have gloves)

Stupid beards:
    SPTDW1013.jpg

I did not watch any of the stage today so can anyone tell me whether there is a legitimate reason for cross brakes?
    SPTDW1012-660x440.jpg
    iainf72 wrote:
    Boonen out for 6 weeks.

Classics are now dead to me.

This is a disaster. Absolute disaster. Enjoyment of the fans sky rockets when Tommeke is there even if he hasn't quite got the killer legs. Still, I can't see him not being there for Flanders or Paris Roubaix.

Very stupid crash:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EvXOHdZpng
    He shouldn't be at the back and should not be riding into another rider and should be able to land properly at that speed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    I did not watch any of the stage today so can anyone tell me whether there is a legitimate reason for cross brakes?

Never. Not even in cyclocross.
  • frenchfighter
    Just looked at the parcours for this race and it looks awful. I also cant stand finishing the race with a TT. Not the race it was when Contador was racing it - proper classic in those days.

No wonder the real big hitters opted for TA this year (although that parcours is looking a touch week and also finishes with a TT).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The thing about today's stage was it was sooooo slow, they must have averaged about 35 kph until Tommeke's crash, which i think contributed to the fact he was at the back, and damage he did.

I thin EQS will still have a good classics campaign, with Cav in MSR, Stybar for E3/Flanders, Terpstra for PR and Kwia for the Ardennes. Plus all the other semi classics riders for the semi classics/de Panne.

Update from the 3 year old. He was looking sad before so his Mum asked "What's the matter, you look sad?" The reply? "I was just thinking about Tom Boonen, Mummy"
  • Also, he was very happy to see Kristoff win (Frozen reference)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    We need a TTHR's 3yr Old twitter account...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Also, he was very happy to see Kristoff win (Frozen reference)

Who's Sven in Katusha then?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    andyp wrote:

Never. Not even in cyclocross.

If you can get a image up he was actually riding a adapted cyclo cross bike..
  • Also, he was very happy to see Kristoff win (Frozen reference)

I'd imagine someone like Isiachev, or Ignatiev or Pliuschin back in the day (a real workhorse/reindeer)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,899
    Another trudge through flat, featureless Northern (ish) France.
    Still 60kms left.
    Sean Kelly reckons that Boonan's career is over......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Another trudge through flat, featureless Northern (ish) France.
    Still 60kms left.
    Sean Kelly reckons that Boonan's career is over......

Shame.

What about Boonen though?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Live cycling is better than no live cycling but I'm almost (almost..) inclined to call it unnecessary to show 80km of a Paris-Nice stage.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Interesting to note that viewing Eurosport.de (using Hola) you get significantly less annoying adverts than the Brit Euro service... one assumes that Europeans view us Brits as mugs for buying stuff and having 'cheap' shark loans

all hell breaks loose .. not
    d7OIpQ0.jpg
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Greipel takes it. Remember him? He didn't even cross my mind for PTP. More fool me.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    ddraver wrote:
    I think he's already got one ;)
  • frenchfighter
    smithy21 wrote:
    Greipel takes it. Remember him? He didn't even cross my mind for PTP. More fool me.

Yeah he has had a very slow start...marginally better than Kittel though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Graeme_S wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    I think he's already got one ;)

All Tweeters should temp change their user names to 'Thinking about Boonen'. Go.

Edit: That's too long. Suggest 'Thinks about Boonen'
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,479
    Also, he was very happy to see Kristoff win (Frozen reference)

I'd imagine someone like Isiachev, or Ignatiev or Pliuschin back in the day (a real workhorse/reindeer)

...Tchmil, Konyshev, Ekimov...

Back on topic, sort of:

As far as the televised dull Paris-Nice, The Milan - San Remo is one they should (finally) get around to changing. Nothing happens until the Poggio, not worth watching until then and often it isn't decisive.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Makoto AYANO ‏@makotoayano 3m3 minutes ago Tokorozawa, Saitama-ken
    ジルベールがヴォクレールの真似してるって笑RT“@SubiendoPuertos: .@PhilippeGilbert imitando a @voecklerthomas en #ParisNice ”
    B_0Q0iOWAAAcTBS.jpg

13:50:00 CET
    The presence of the Europcar leader has already had an affect with the gap to the trio up to 1:55 over the chasing bunch. We're less than 20km from the start of the next climb, the Col de La Bosse - our second third cat of the stage.

13:41:18 CET
    With the gap down to 1:15 Voeckler has jumped clear of the peloton and joined the break to make it three men in the front group. The Europcar car rider is on the attack again after his stage 1 move.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,956
    PROFIL.jpg
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Over the Col de La Bosse the three leaders (Gilbert, Vachon & Voeckler) have a lead of 5 minutes. 80km to the finish.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    5 minutes for the break as they pass the Col de la Bosse, just under 80km to go