CIRC report

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727
    iainf72 wrote:
    As Vaughters said, it's a pity people are ignoring the large amount of progress which the report points out

It is clear that much progress has been made. The simple existence of the report was unlikely under the previous adminstration - do you now think that Cookson's election was a positive?

The problem is that the default message that comes out of most people's mouths is that doping is a thing of the past. When evidence is found that is contrary to this, other people then point it out.

So, yes, lots of progress in reducing blood manipulation, but there are many more ways to skin a cat.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Paulie W wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    As Vaughters said, it's a pity people are ignoring the large amount of progress which the report points out

+1

This is a strong narrative throughout but has been lost in much of the reporting. Figures like the 90% are manna to characters like Joelsim who sees this as vindication of their everyone is still doping stance when actually there is much more solid 'evidence' in the report to support the view that the benefits of doping are increasingly less palpable and therefore the rationale for doing so is gradually being eroded

it would have been better to leave out random statements by cyclists with no data to back it up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    My last report has been raked across the coals by the client so I'm on shaky ground but I agree with this -

Brendan gallagher @gallagherbren
    CIRC interview 1 current rider but then highlight 1 anonymous "cycling professional" who claims 90 per cent of peloton doping.V shoddy work

Good convo between him and Dimspace at the mo too - https://twitter.com/gallagherbren/statu ... 2450255872
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    My last report has been raked acrodd the coals by the client so I'm on shaky ground but I agree with this -

Brendan gallagher @gallagherbren
    CIRC interview 1 current rider but then highlight 1 anonymous "cycling professional" who claims 90 per cent of peloton doping.V shoddy work

Good convo between him and Dimspace at the mo too - https://twitter.com/gallagherbren/statu ... 2450255872

Yep. Poor methodology that.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Zerotails99
    Zerotails99 Posts: 127
    The riders may not be abusing epo and blood doping but they still take huge amounts of legal drugs and stimulants. They are also abusing the TUE. So there is still advantage to be had by secret pharmaceutics.

Riders can't ride bikes or use equipment that can't be purchased from the shops. But no requirement for any athletes in any sport to make public the drugs and stimulants they take.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    edited March 2015
    The riders may not be abusing epo and blood doping but they still take huge amounts of legal drugs and stimulants. They are also abusing the TUE. So there is still advantage to be had by secret pharmaceutics.
    How many TUEs were issued to World Tour teams in 2014 (or any recent year)?

And as for taking legal drugs - well they're legal. All that actually matters is the law. In life I can guarantee that you do something that I morally object to and and that I do something that you find morally objectionable. But if they're not illegal it's irrelevant.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957
    Does the report make any recommendations?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Yes. You can read them for yourself of course, but the jist of them is:

1. UCI works more closely with governments/national agencies to ensure they have the best tools for the job
    2. Convicted doctors should be subject to professional disciplinary action
    3. 'Public shaming' should stop. Basically this means half-investigated cases being leaked to the press
    4. 'Prevelance studies' should be conducted to identify particular problem areas (i.e. countries or teams etc)
    5. A move towards a move intelligence lead testing strategy
    6. Possible use of night time testing in specific cases
    7. More re-testing of samples
    8. Setting up an independent whistleblowers desk
    9. Pursue individuals as soon as suspicions are raised.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yes. You can read them for yourself of course, but the jist of them is:

1. UCI works more closely with governments/national agencies to ensure they have the best tools for the job
    2. Convicted doctors should be subject to professional charges
    3. 'Public shaming' should stop. Basically this means half-investigated cases being leaked to the press
    4. 'Prevelance studies' should be conducted to identify particular problem areas (i.e. countries or teams etc)
    5. A move towards a move intelligence lead testing strategy
    6. Possible use of night time testing in specific cases
    7. More re-testing of samples
    8. Setting up an independent whistleblowers desk
    9. Pursue individuals as soon as suspicions are raised.

Cheers, stuck at work so appreciate the summary.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    Yes. Pages 211-223 are recommendations.

The main ones are these:

RECOMMENDATIONS
    The Commission refers readers to the full Recommendations section of the Report.
    However, some key recommendations include:
    1. Primary responsibility for controlling doping in sport lies with the sporting world.
    Only subsidiary responsibility lies with governments. The CIRC recommends that
    UCI works closely with governments/national authorities that make their
    investigative tools available to the fight against doping and that, together with
    other stakeholders, it urges other governments to have these tools in place and
    work towards closer cooperation with sports bodies on criminal matters in antidoping.
    2. In addition to serving any sport sanction, doctors who are found guilty of an antidoping
    rule violation should be investigated to determine whether they are fit to
    continue their general medical practice. Anti-doping bodies should have an
    obligation to inform the doctor’s professional regulatory body that he has been
    sanctioned for a sport violation so that the regulatory body may open an
    investigation against the doctor.
    3. The CIRC has observed that “public shaming” is frequently used to put pressure
    on other stakeholders. In particular, allegations that are not fully investigated or
    not investigated at all are put into the public domain by anti-doping organisations.
    Such conduct should not be employed. It infringes on fundamental rights, leads to
    a waste of resources and undermines the credibility of the fight against doping. In
    the same way that WADA-accredited laboratories are bound by a duty of
    confidentiality, the same principle should apply to anti-doping organisations in
    respect of allegations.
    4. The CIRC recommends that “prevalence studies” of doping in different countries,
    teams, levels (including amateur) and disciplines, should be undertaken by
    UCI/CADF to establish the level of doping in those different populations; this
    would enable UCI/CADF to define better how to deploy resources and support an
    effective anti-doping strategy. All the statistical data from testing should be
    integrated into these studies.
    5. UCI/CADF should move to a qualitative rather than quantitative testing plan and
    collect and integrate all available information. At present, CADF concentrates
    solely on testing. There must also be a focus on non-analytical means of
    establishing anti-doping rule violations. The CIRC recommends that intelligenceled
    testing and broader, non-analytical investigations should target individual
    riders and support staff when most likely to be engaged in doping activities,
    particularly in out-of-competition time periods.
    6. The no testing window from 11pm to 6am helps riders who micro-dose to avoid
    being caught. The CIRC is conscious of the principle of proportionality but the
    absence of night-time testing is a weakness in the current system and needs to be
    addressed. UCI/CADF should make more use of the exception contained in Article
    5.2 of the 2015 UCI Anti-Doping Rules (“serious and specific suspicion that the Rider
    may be engaged in doping”) to test at night-time.
    7. Re-testing should be an integral part of the testing programme. A coherent retesting
    strategy should be developed that is systematic and regularly undertaken,
    with additional tests when new science is available, and well publicised.
    Retrospective sample testing is perhaps as great a disincentive to riders as today’s
    testing is, even more so for the more successful riders. A sample given by a rider
    should have a mandatory re-testing programme attached to it.
    8. CIRC recommends that in order to encourage people to come forward with
    information, UCI should set up an independent whistleblower desk. UCI should
    also proactively make full use of substantial assistance provisions (every athlete
    who is sanctioned should be approached to enquire whether he is interested in
    providing substantial assistance).
    9. The most effective way of cleaning up the sport is to pursue individuals through
    investigations as soon as a suspicion is raised. UCI/CADF should make efforts to
    investigate those individuals that it believes were involved in doping in the past,
    observing the principles of due process, and make full use of the extended statute
    of limitations.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,883
    So just for clarity to someone to busy (lazy!) to read the report in full is 90% a figure that has been used for both the proportion of the existing peloton still doping and the percentage of TUE that are apparently not genuine?
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    So just for clarity to someone to busy (lazy!) to read the report in full is 90% a figure that has been used for both the proportion of the existing peloton still doping and the percentage of TUE that are apparently not genuine?
    When asked to convey an unsubstantiated high proportion, 90% of people pick 90%
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TheBigBean wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

It is clear that much progress has been made. The simple existence of the report was unlikely under the previous adminstration - do you now think that Cookson's election was a positive?

Most of the progress was made under the previous regime. That huge leap forward was made on McQuaid's watch. The Armstrong stuff really skews it though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Re. the whistleblower's hotline, didn't Pat try that and no one called?
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:

90% is one unnamed rider's estimate as to the amount of EPO stolen from Italian hospital pharmacies. p.40
    90% is one unnamed rider's opinion as to the number of riders still doping. p. 56.
    90% is one unnamed rider's opinion in regards to the number of TUEs used for PED purposes p.61

This evidence given by one rider to the CIRC was brought to you by the number 90.
  • Pross wrote:

As you'd expect, inrng does a good job summarizing

http://inrng.com/2015/03/the-circ-report/
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    So basically 90% of the time riders dope every time?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    edited March 2015
    No. One person said 90% and one person said 20%. There are also other numbers in the report, but my summary would be that doping is still commonplace in the peloton. At neither of the levels mentioned above.

Clearly it is cleaner now than 10 years ago, but clearly there is still a significant problem with bending the rules and still a significant problem with breaking the rules.
  • iainf72
    Joelsim wrote:
    No. One person said 90% and one person said 20%. There are also other numbers in the report, but my summary would be that doping is still commonplace in the peloton. At neither of the levels mentioned above.

But that was your position before, and if the report had said there was practically no doping, you would've thought it was wrong. CIRC is not going to change peoples positions.

I'm sure we all love the irony of the CIRC saying that rider shaming must stop, but their report earns headlines on the BBC saying 90% of riders doping.
  • iainf72
    Who do we like for the 90% person?

It'll be someone we're pretty confident is a doper, but probably hasn't been nabbed.
  • joelsim
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

But that was your position before, and if the report had said there was practically no doping, you would've thought it was wrong. CIRC is not going to change peoples positions.

I'm sure we all love the irony of the CIRC saying that rider shaming must stop, but their report earns headlines on the BBC saying 90% of riders doping.

That wasn't my position before at all. My position is that there is still widespread doping.
  • iainf72
    Joelsim wrote:

That wasn't my position before at all. My position is that there is still widespread doping.

That's what I meant. Your position before the report was there is widespread doping.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

But that was your position before, and if the report had said there was practically no doping, you would've thought it7 was wrong. CIRC is not going to change peoples positions.

I'm sure we all love the irony of saying that rider shaming must stop, but their report earns headlines on the BBC saying 90% of riders doping.

So people who spend their entire professional lives around cycling admit they essentially have no clue as to the scale of the problem but you know better? How?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

But that was your position before, and if the report had said there was practically no doping, you would've thought it7 was wrong. CIRC is not going to change peoples positions.

I'm sure we all love the irony of saying that rider shaming must stop, but their report earns headlines on the BBC saying 90% of riders doping.

So people who spend their entire professional lives around cycling admit they essentially have no clue as to the scale of the problem but you know better? How?

I don't. But there is still a widespread problem.
  • My edited highlights:

I found the differing definitions of “clean” to be grimly amusing and the idea of “middle aged businessmen doping to win masters titles” and pros unwilling to ride Gran Fondos due to the juiced pace at the front depressing and hilarious in equal measures.

If Joe Papp told me the sky was blue I'd check out the window

Office politics will always be with us
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Joelsim wrote:
    but my summary would be that doping is still commonplace in the peloton.

Of course it is. It would never be anything else would it? If the report had published hard facts saying only 3 people in the whole sport are doping you'd have still twisted that in to meaning everyone is.
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2015
    Joelsim wrote:

Yet you still feel you can offer up 'facts' that they are unable to.
  • joelsim
    sjmclean wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    but my summary would be that doping is still commonplace in the peloton.

Of course it is. It would never be anything else would it? If the report had published hard facts saying only 3 people in the whole sport are doping you'd have still twisted that in to meaning everyone is.

Correct. But I would happily take a bet that the main protagonists, which is what really matters, is where the most doping occurs. There are athletes like Pinot who I believe is clean, losing very slightly against those who aren't. We all know who they are.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Yet you still feel you can offer up 'facts' that they are unable to.

I'm not offering up facts Rich. You are one of the main people who thinks that doping is a thing of the past. It isn't.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

You assert that between 20% and 90% of the proffesional pelotpn (my assumption as to the level you are referring to) are doping, but the only evidence you have for this that you didn't have yesterday is anonymised quotes from somebody (somebody who may be Joe Papp for gods sake).

The picture we glean from the report is that this world is filled with rumoiur and nobody knows what their team mates are up to half the time so I repeat, how do yo know the true figure is between 20 and 90%? Surely it couldn't be that you've cherry picked 2 numbers from a 200 page paper to reinforce an opinion you already hold...

@gietvangent