CIRC report

15678911»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    RichN95 wrote:

In no other sport would anyone consider an asthma inhaler in any way cheating. They would laugh at the idea. Cycling has become hysterical and lost perspective.

Serious question - why was Petacchi banned for Salbutamol then?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RichN95 wrote:
    In no other sport would anyone consider an asthma inhaler in any way cheating. They would laugh at the idea. Cycling has become hysterical and lost perspective.

Serious question - why was Petacchi banned for Salbutamol then?
    Because at the time it was banned at the levels he had ingested. Today he wouldn't have been sanctioned. The rules have been changed to be more sensible as there has been more understanding.

Salbutamol can be performance enhancing in large qualities - but not at the levels that an asthmatic needs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    If you ban asthma medications, then you force a substantial minority of professional athletes with exercise-induced asthma to choose between their livelihood and their wellbeing, and most will choose their livelihood.

Which means your policy would have the exact opposite effect of what a rational doping policy should be aiming for: you'd be exposing athletes to unnecessary risk instead of protecting them from it. You would be forcing a subset of athletes to take a risk with their health if they want to compete at the highest level.
    This is what people need to remember. And it's not just pros. It's amateurs too. People play injured and sick all the time.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    37 bikes taken away for examination after MSR today including EQS and TFR.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Re: Asthma and needing an inhaler.

Could the same arguments be made regarding blood levels? For instance, could an athlete argue that they have low testosterone/HcT levels, etc, etc and need drugs to compensate?
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:

Could the same arguments be made regarding blood levels? For instance, could an athlete argue that they have low testosterone/HcT levels, etc, etc and need drugs to compensate?
    No. Asthmatics don't have smaller lungs. The medicine doesn't compensate for any deficiency. It doesn't improve an athlete's natural state. It is preventative. It guards against the potential damage to health. Think of it more like protective clothing.
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

No. Asthmatics don't have smaller lungs. The medicine doesn't compensate for any deficiency. It doesn't improve an athlete's natural state. It is preventative. It guards against the potential damage to health. Think of it more like protective clothing.

Anything that needs 'fixing' is by definition broken. Or a deficiency. If you need medication for it, then you are being aided or fixed in some way. Without it, you'd be 'less'.

This is the nature of the argument against asthmatics I would presume.
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    Anything that needs 'fixing' is by definition broken. Or a deficiency. If you need medication for it, then you are being aided or fixed in some way. Without it, you'd be 'less'.

Ok. Then you take the lead and throw your prosthetics in the bin.
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

But I'm racing against people with the same 'disability'. It is an accepted norm.

But if you go back a few years - it's the type of argument that they attempted to use against Oscar Pistorius when they said he couldn't use his prosthetic in able-bodied events as it offered an advantage. He had to go to CAS to fight it and prove it did not. And even then, he was limited to the type he could use to ensure it did not, in fact, give him any advantage.
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

But I'm racing against people with the same 'disability'. It is an accepted norm.
    Are you though? People have different amounts of leg missing, surely? I think it's best everyone races with what they have. And no more racing prosthetics. Everyday prosthetics only please.

And no racing against able bodied people, either.

You may consider these ill informed opinions of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. And you'd be right. But then so are your views on asthmatics.
  • Pokerface
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Are you though? People have different amounts of leg missing, surely? I think it's best everyone races with what they have. And no more racing prosthetics. Everyday prosthetics only please.

And no racing against able bodied people, either.

You may consider these ill informed opinions of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. And you'd be right. But then so are your views on asthmatics.

Sorry. I forgot we can't have opinions on things unless speaking from a position of complete authority :roll:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    i take asthma meds for exercise induced asthma. Did an mtb 'race' yesterday (I wasn't trying for podium ;-) ). pleased with my times and kept up 85% max hr all through 3 laps.

soon as i stopped, the asthma kicked in big time. i don't normally need my ventolin but I had to take 6 puffs in half an hour. and another few puffs once i got home.

the other day I was trying to sprint over the last few metres of a climb and my chest just plugged up and I nearly stalled, just had to grind slowly up coughing and spitting gunk.

Now I'm not anywhere near being an athlete, but if someone has the physiology to compete but occasionally has a problem that can be restored close to normal by meds, then they should be allowed to compete.

I suspect most asthmatics would rather they didn't have asthma.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • RichN95.
    Pokerface wrote:
    Sorry. I forgot we can't have opinions on things unless speaking from a position of complete authority :roll:
    You don't have to be a complete authority. But have some vague clue. Asthma inhalers don't improve performance, they are protection against potential injury. As far as I'm concerned it's no different to wearing support for a knee injury (or similar)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,644

I always get a guilty feeling when I read Dr. Ferrari's articles. It is hard to see him as anything other than the world leading expert. Still, having revolutionised sports doping, perhaps one day he will cross the line and revolutionise sports anti-doping, but I'm not holding my breath. It is a bit smug to criticse the other side in this manner.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,644
    You have a period where most riders are taking EPO, testosterone, HgH. With those additional 'benefits' it's much easier to run exceptionally lean and still put out very punchy power without straining your body to the point of breaking.

Without those drugs, riders are still trying to get as thin, but without the doping crutch, it puts too much strain on the body. They need a shade more fat and generally a more balanced diet to get the best power/weight combo without doping... He sees quite a few riders getting very thin and struggling as a result.

Ferrari has openly questioned how some athletes have managed to become so thin. Many people focus on blood manipulation as the only form of doping. Still, the season has started, so best focus on that.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just curious, would I be allowed my insulin? I can see the argument re asthmatics - salbutamol can be performance enhancing and a TUE for asthma is a handy cover story. Obviously you need to look at the amount ingested , but it seems clear that it has to be monitored in some way. And before RichN95 starts having a go, I've been asthmatic since childhood so I know a fair amount about it. The suggestion that the drugs are only for rare emergencies is pretty misleading, as most proper asthmatics are on regular preventative medication augmented by salbutamol for "emergency" situations - Nys arguably has a point that if you need regular medication then your body isn't capable of meeting the demands of being an elite athlete, although its a pretty complex issue.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    My understanding is that you don't need a TUE for an inhaler.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mm1 wrote:
    My understanding is that you don't need a TUE for an inhaler.

Correct
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Because inhaled salbutamol isn't performance enhancing.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest