New Bora Clincher or Wheelsmith Aero 50?

1235»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Dizeee wrote:
    I am almost having to downplay the rides. Got a little telling off on a club ride last week for being too quick.

.. I know the feeling... I had to do that at school in my days... trying not to get always full marks, even if it was effortless for me... I was so freaking awesome, so so awesome... :wink: 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Dizeee wrote:
    I am almost having to downplay the rides. Got a little telling off on a club ride last week for being too quick.

.. I know the feeling... I had to do that at school in my days... trying not to get always full marks, even if it was effortless for me... I was so freaking awesome, so so awesome... :wink: 8)

I keep telling him that there are some actual decent riders waiting if he fancies a properly quick ride ;)

As Ugo well knows, I've had many sets of wheels and I can honestly say the difference between most of them on the road is so small. I've had Zipp 404's, 303 tubs that are mega light, I've now got Enve 6.7 tubs, yet I have still had comparable results on hand builts from Ugo, and this week I managed a result on Fulcrum 7's with 4 seasons tyres, so just for those that think your wheels will make you a superman, they will not, they look nice, and you might aswell have them if you can afford them, but there aren't many magic potions in cycling for going quicker.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you want to win, you've got to learn to love lactate
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    okgo wrote:
    As Ugo well knows, I've had many sets of wheels and I can honestly say the difference between most of them on the road is so small. I've had Zipp 404's, 303 tubs that are mega light, I've now got Enve 6.7 tubs, yet I have still had comparable results on hand builts from Ugo...

... yet you lost the sprint from the deep section boys... :lol:
    img_5058.jpg

On a more serious note... I have never built those wheels... I have repaired them, re-rimmed them, re-spoked them, re-hubbed them various times, but never built them, otherwise you would have won that sprint... :lol::mrgreen:

If you could manage a sub 19 minutes 10 TT with a pair of Fulcrum 7, that would be entertaining... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    okgo wrote:
    I've had many sets of wheels and I can honestly say the difference between most of them on the road is so small. I've had Zipp 404's, 303 tubs that are mega light, I've now got Enve 6.7 tubs, yet I have still had comparable results on hand builts , and this week I managed a result on Fulcrum 7's with 4 seasons tyres, so just for those that think your wheels will make you a superman, they will not, they look nice, and you might aswell have them if you can afford them, but there aren't many magic potions in cycling for going quicker.

I can see where you're coming from. However, training/talent aside, most things cycling are about "marginal gains". That being so, your point would probably be equally valid if comparing an £80 set of Shimano RS 10's to £300+ hand-built s, both in terms of performance and longevity .
    That aside, I don't get some of the replies on this thread at all. The guy is clearly delighted with his purchase, why do some folk appear to feel the need to post simply to, essentially, just mock and knock ? To me, some of the replies(though not the point made by okgo) look to be contrary to any or even all of rules 5-8-9.
    Some might even interpret the post directly above as contravening rule 2. The OP spent his money(a lot of money) and he's delighted, where's the problem . Taking the mickey is hardly conducive to, or in the spirit of, friendly informative chat.
  • Origami02 wrote:
    To me, some of the replies(though not the point made by okgo) look to be contrary to any or even all of rules 5-8-9.

Some might even interpret the post directly above as contravening rule 2

What the hell are you on about?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    coriordan wrote:
    If you want to win, you've got to learn to love lactate

Love lactate?

snigger
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Origami02 wrote:
    To me, some of the replies(though not the point made by okgo) look to be contrary to any or even all of rules 5-8-9.

Agreed. Horsesh1t.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Note it's the Road Buying Advice forum, and not the Road Buying Back-Slapping forum.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    mfin wrote:
    Origami02 wrote:

Agreed. Horsesh1t.

Forum Rules :
    viewtopic.php?f=40034&t=12846748&p=17546828#p17546828

The final line "Summary: Behave nicely. If doing it in 'the real world' would be frowned upon, don't do it here"
    might be of special interest to both of you fellas. Unless of course you regularly take that tone in everyday life. I somehow rather doubt that. Really no need to be rude chaps, I didn't write them :)