New Bora Clincher or Wheelsmith Aero 50?

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Cat 1? I average around 20-21mph for a 35 mile route with 2000ft of climbing and I'm nowhere near a Cat 1 I know. Not even close.....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Gweeds wrote:
    Cat 1? I average around 20-21mph for a 35 mile route with 2000ft of climbing and I'm nowhere near a Cat 1 I know. Not even close.....

I think there's some porkies going on this thread. Either that or people's garmins or speedo's aren;t set up properly.

I go out on a Chaingang on a Saturday morning. In the first group is a 1st cat, a couple of good 2nd cats, a lad who got top ten in the national hillclimb, and some strong testers who regularly get top ten in Opens. We don;t hang around, and even with a couple of climbs we only average 22mph for the whole ride.

Are people meaning that they average 20-22mph when they're riding on the flat but the total average for the ride is actually lower? Or are these averages for the total ride?
  • gweeds
    The difference is I'm absolutely killing myself to get to 21mph whereas around 19i is a fairly comfortable ride. The 1st Cat I ride with can hit 21mph average well within himself and if he's down at 19 with me he's cruising. Garmin is set up properly and our speeds are the same. I should have said 'I can average' rather than 'I average' as that suggested I'm well within myself. Mind you I'm a 45 year old giffer now :D

But the real difference is climbing. If we're on a much hillier route I'm out the back door and he's gone. I'm a bit of a diesel whereas he has the changes of pace. It's rolling around here with no significant climbs that last any time.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Well, I'm an OK time trialler and on my training rides over an hour I'm yet to average 20mph. I'm feeling somewhat inadequate :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best solo ride was 19mph over 50.1 miles which I was pretty chuffed with on 1st Feb. (with deep sections)

Still got shelled out this mornings chaingang :( (no deep sections).

At least I know the reason.....
  • gweeds
    So we're all buying Boras today yes.

OP - go with the ones you really want. The Boras. You're a long time dead and if you've got the money why not.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Op, have you considered the Wheelsmith Aero Tubs?

It seems some people are saying and also from reading various things that tubs will be the faster set (don't ask my why or how I don't know!! ) and they will also be lighter.

They look pretty good as well.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Im feeling inadequate too even tho im 60. Boras or Neutrons it doesnt make any difference its all down to adrenaline and motivation. I averaged 22mph on Ride London and a fair bit of that was solo. But that ride is pretty flat.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    Cheers for all replies. I have purchased the aero 50's which is where my heart and head have been leading me for a couple of weeks. The Bora's are an unknown risk, and I do believe I will be getting a properly excellent hand built wheel from Wheelsmith which just can't be rivalled.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Dizeee wrote:
    Cheers for all replies. I have purchased the aero 50's which is where my heart and head have been leading me for a couple of weeks. The Bora's are an unknown risk, and I do believe I will be getting a properly excellent hand built wheel from Wheelsmith which just can't be rivalled.

They are great wheels.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Have read this thread with interest as the way you've described your riding, reasons for buying etc all sound very similar to me. I've also been deciding between factory built 50mm clinchers and a set of Aero 50 from Derek at Wheelsmith. Have been in contact with him recently and he's been really helpful.

I'm also erring towards handbuilt and will probably order in the next couple of weeks. Be interested in hearing a review of yours if you get the chance to post something once they arrive.
  • Dizeee
    Of course.

The best wheels I have ridden over the last 20'000 miles are my £200 ish Fulcrum Quattro's. I am really looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is or isn't about!
  • Dizeee
    I am getting mine early April, he is waiting for rims as well as Campag pads so there is a 3 to 4 week lead time. I will def update this thread in detail when I have had around 50 miles on them, so basically after a ride or two.
  • Dizeee
    There seems to be quite a delay in getting these, it's been a couple of weeks now and he still has no rims, he said he should be getting them soon but I fear that there could be quite a long delay. If so I am going to have to ditch them as I need the wheels by April. He wouldn't even take a deposit which makes me think even he isn't that confident about getting the rims in.

Will update when I know but April is only a couple of weeks away now so time is running out.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Dizeee wrote:
    There seems to be quite a delay in getting these, it's been a couple of weeks now and he still has no rims, he said he should be getting them soon but I fear that there could be quite a long delay. If so I am going to have to ditch them as I need the wheels by April. He wouldn't even take a deposit which makes me think even he isn't that confident about getting the rims in.

Will update when I know but April is only a couple of weeks away now so time is running out.

I suspect it's the tail end of Chinese New Year. I was told that over the festivities, lots of Chinese workers in Taiwan go back to mainland and never come back. As a result, there is always chaos for a couple of months afterwards, while new staff get hired and trained
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobbydazzla
    What did you decide to do in the end ?

I’ve borrowed some Mavic 40 C and really liked riding deep rims. So now I’m ready to buy but undecided on what to get. The Aero50 on Hope hubs are tempting, but I can also get some 2015 Reynolds Assault for pretty much the same price and they seem to be very highly regarded wheels.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Where have you seen the 2015 Reynolds for £900? I hadn't noticed any discounted much yet.
  • bobbydazzla
    I've got a discount code that brings the price of the Reynolds down to £1000.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550

Should have said, there's 10% off when you add them to basket which isn't immediately obvious and that's at today's Visa rate of 0.73. If your credit card charges you then it may be a little more.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I'm given to understand there's also a discount to be had from Starbike for WeightWeenies board members.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Thank you gents. Sorry to head OT.
  • Dizeee
    I looked at Reynolds, seem to be very good wheels.

The rims are STILL not even with them at Wheelsmith. I wanted them by April at the latest but this isn't going to happen. I am getting a little frustrated but I guess it's not his fault. So, I am very close to pulling out and going elsewhere just to get the wheels on the bike. I am going to give it until the 5th April and if nothing by then I will bin the Aero 50's.

He hasn't taken a penny off me, which kind of makes me suspect even he is not confident in getting any rims any time soon.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dizeee wrote:
    He hasn't taken a penny off me, which kind of makes me suspect even he is not confident in getting any rims any time soon.

The joy of dealing with suppliers delays... I can tell you he is surely exponentially more pissed off than you will ever be about your wheels! :?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    There's some real guff being thrown round re av speed here. I regularly average over 20mph on solo rides and I don't race at all (aside from 1 Sporting TT and one 'newbies' race with the Kingston Wheelers). I'm also juggling a busy job and a toddler at home and don't have a structured training programme. My riding involves getting in and out of London which is always stop/start - here are 2 from last year as an example:

https://www.strava.com/activities/168331753
    https://www.strava.com/activities/156586477

I have no doubt that Cat 1 & 2 riders would kick my head in.

To the OP I say get the Boras. Who cares if you race or not. If you want 'em and can afford then go for it. I'd love a pair.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Re Reynolds - My Aeroad came with the Strike SLG's. They're not a patch on my 404's and have been swapped out. For sale as it goes...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    When I bought my Boras 5 years ago it was because Wheelsmith couldn't get any rims I had ordered them and everything. Derek said I could do a lot worse than Boras and they were the only carbon wheels he would recommend. As for Il Principe you must be a natural!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Dizeee
    Well, the wheels will be with me by Monday, the rims arrived, have been built up and payment given. They are being dispatched tomorrow. I only hope it was worth the delay but I suspect they will be.

As soon as I get a decent ride in on them I will be here to report back!
  • Dizeee
    They are on...

Pics and a review to follow soon
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dizeee wrote:
    They are on...

Pics and a review to follow soon

For the benefit of the community, I would resist the temptation to post a review based on the first 30 miles and your improvement on the local Strava segments... much better to run them for 500 miles or so and then write something more in depth than just first impressions.
    Unfortunately most of the reviews you read around are based on the first ride or sometimes even "out of the box first impressions"