The classics thread

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    inseine wrote:
    SKY provisional start list for Flanders;
    Eisel, Fenn, Knees, Puccio, Rowe, Stannard, Thomas,Wiggins, Pate, Sutton, Viviani
    Obviously that's 11 but it'll be interesting to see who starts.

Fenn. Not sure he need to be racing.

MSR: DNF
    E3: DNF
    GW: DNF
    3Days: +5mins

Not much different to Eisel though. So maybe he is just learning the ropes from the old slacker.

3Days St2: +5mins

Rod Ellingsworth the Sky coach, takes the opinion when it comes to lead outs, that if the rider pulling off the front can continue at that pace (of sprint for places in the case of the final man) then they haven't worked hard enough.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    sjmclean wrote:
    Rod Ellingsworth the Sky coach, takes the opinion when it comes to lead outs, that if the rider pulling off the front can continue at that pace (of sprint for places in the case of the final man) then they haven't worked hard enough.

Who leads out a sprinter and then loses 5mins. That's not what is happening.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Someone who rides until 1/2k to go then stops completely?

Seriously some of your questions are on a level with "why doesn't Cav win the Tour" this week FF...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Yes Eisel has been on the front more than just about anyone in De Panne.

As far as his comments on Gent Wevelgem go though - yes Bernie unfortunately for you riders that kind of carnage IS what people want to watch - not every race of course but if occasionally the weather is epic then many (can't speak for everyone) do want to watch you racing in it. I can see his point but ultimately if you cancel a race in those winds you may as well take out the worst sections of cobbles in Paris Roubaix, descents to the finish in the grand tours etc

He wasn't asking for a cancellation he was asking for neutralisation of the race in the worse of the crosswinds section which were actually before most of the TV coverage even started anyway. He has a good point about sailing. I remember when the America's Cup races kept being called off in San Francisco in 2013 because the wind was too high. Yes it looked great for those watching on TV with the AC72s at 45 degrees on the point of no return but it's bl**dy dangerous for the crew and remember Andrew Simpson had died just days earlier. Watching those boats whipping along in lesser winds, knowing what the crew are having to do just to keep the thing upright and on course (I have a vested interest here my cousin crews for New Zealand) is still just as exciting but hopefully people are not being put at unnecessary risk.

I'm not sure either that you can compare riding in 100km/h crosswinds to descents or cobbles. His point isn't that its dangerous per se, its that actually no amount of skill can really help you in winds of that ferocity and it literally comes down to luck. People were getting blown off the road, he talks about being a passenger on his bike, that is not the same thing as developing a skill to be able to deal with the riskier/trickier aspects of racing. Descents and cobbles are a factor of racing, crazy weather conditions that risk everyone regardless of how good they are is different.

Maybe Eisel's just being cautious because I'm sure his wife would be thrilled with him coming home incapacitated, not able to change any nappies and leaving her two people to care for.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Anonymous
    sjmclean wrote:

Who leads out a sprinter and then loses 5mins. That's not what is happening.

but if he pulls for 10K and the swings off, he'll ride easy to start recovery for the next day, it's like people just coasting round GT TT's
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I remember during last year's Tour Rafa Majka kept finishing way down for the first week. Frenchie was very irate and said he was a disgrace and should be sent home. He then of course won two stages and KOM.

Riders only make as much effort as they need to.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Er, well Rich it very much depends on whether this guy's job is to support a team leader, be a team leader, a KOM or stage hunter.

If you are not a team leader, are down on GC, and do not have a leader to support, then losing some time here and there to go on and win two solid stages and the KOM makes sense.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    "Riders only make as much effort as they need to."

Precisely!

If Wiggins goes and bags the victory in Roubaix, who, 20 years down the line, is going to be saying "but he came in 5 minutes down on the bunch in Stage 2 of De Panne"? No-one.

What would the likes of Gent-Wevelgem and De Panne add to his palmares anyway? It would be like Sir Alex Ferguson coming out of retirement with ambitions of winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy or Sebastian Vettel dropping down to have a tilt at the Formula 3 championship.

Please, drop it.
  • ddraver
    So to drill down the the point - why is it OK for Majka to do it but not Wiggins...unless you re predjudiced or flat out biased against Wiggins, there is no reason
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    If Wiggins goes and bags the victory in Roubaix, who, 20 years down the line, is going to be saying "but he came in 5 minutes down on the bunch in Stage 2 of De Panne"? No-one.

Quite

What would the likes of Gent-Wevelgem and De Panne add to his palmares anyway?

It would be the first entry under the category - Classics
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    It would be the first entry under the category - Classics

Ooooh you sly one you. :lol: Rather misses the point though.
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    So to drill down the the point - why is it OK for Majka to do it but not Wiggins...unless you re predjudiced or flat out biased against Wiggins, there is no reason

you really are not very clever are you? failing that, you must have difficult reading
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    again Frenchie, you are resorting to insults because your position is so full of holes we can drive trucks through it. We ve met and we know each of us are good guys so it's sad seeing you reduced to such measures.

It would be easier if you just admitted you, like Maca, are massively biased against Wiggins and, unlike Maca, Sky. At least that would be consistent and honest
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    We shall have to agree to differ. I simply feel you are trying to pick holes out of me for fun and it is getting tiresome.

My position on Wiggins is not biased and it is pretty simple: I respect his talent as a bike rider and his achievements but I have no respect for him as a person or for his attitude.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Er, well Rich it very much depends on whether this guy's job is to support a team leader, be a team leader, a KOM or stage hunter.

If you are not a team leader, are down on GC, and do not have a leader to support, then losing some time here and there to go on and win two solid stages and the KOM makes sense.

Just to point out on stage 2 where Majka still had a leader to protect, he trundled in 160 17'09" down. Not much help to his leader. Now I imagine he would have been number 2 if something happened to Contador.

I love Majka btw.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Eurosport playing 2014 Tour of Flanders on my day off. And spotted myself in the crowd, haha.

Good stuff.
  • frenchfighter
    sjmclean wrote:
    I love Majka btw.

I don't really.

But best of all, check this out from the spoiler thread:
    Majka 15mins down along with three other Tinkoff (admittedly flat land riders). Majka needs to sort himself out. If he rides like a douche bag on purpose then I hope he loses his contract and doesn't get picked to ride the Vuelta. He better be there in the mountains burying himself for the greatest stage racer of his generation.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12973291&start=500#p18945828

Got anything to add?

Thought not.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

My position on Wiggins is not biased and it is pretty simple: I respect his talent as a bike rider and his achievements but I have no respect for him as a person or for his attitude.

Do you know him then, or does your opinion have similar weight to that of the average Hello reader on any celebrity they "know"?
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Eurosport playing 2014 Tour of Flanders on my day off. And spotted myself in the crowd, haha.

Good stuff.

Cool when that happens, once saw my daughter's foot in perfect focus when she was up on my shoulders watching a tour series crit. :)
  • Anonymous
    Majka 15mins down along with three other Tinkoff (admittedly flat land riders). Majka needs to sort himself out. If he rides like a douche bag on purpose then I hope he loses his contract and doesn't get picked to ride the Vuelta. He better be there in the mountains burying himself for the greatest stage racer of his generation.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12973291&start=500#p18945828

Got anything to add?

Thought not.

I was just pointing out that when he had a team leader and probably was second in command he lost 17 minutes, I wasn't saying you didn't criticize him.
    In no way was that argumentative, it was maybe a way of pointing out that sort of thing happens all the time. More surprising for a man, who will probably be the next leader of the team, than a domestique.
  • RichN95.
    When I first brought up Majka it wasn't to highlight double standards on FF's part - as I don't think that illustrates that. It was to show that FF has previous form of slagging off someone for taking it easy who then went on to do something great (i.e. he has odd ideas sometimes)
  • frenchfighter
    edited April 2015
    mm1 wrote:

Do you know him then, or does your opinion have similar weight to that of the average Hello reader on any celebrity they "know"?

Do I need to know him?
    Does my opinion need to have 'weight' for me to enjoy or not enjoy what I am watching?
    These are questions I would like to hear your opinion on.

Maybe on another thread though. Am tired of talking about Wiggins when there are far more interesting and proper classics riders and classics chat to be had.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,536
    RichN95 wrote:
    When I first brought up Majka it wasn't to highlight double standards on FF's part - as I don't think that illustrates that. It was to show that FF has previous form of slagging off someone for taking it easy who then went on to do something great (i.e. he has odd ideas sometimes)

Can't fault his consistency there. Wrong, but consistent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,536
    Not the usual Flanders preview - worth checking out for the incredible GIFs

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... -vu/547843
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    The Cycling Podcast ‏@cycling_podcast · 20s21 seconds ago
    Bradley Wiggins was ill after #parisnice. Thought he had shingles... which he didn't, but that's why he missed #E3.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Bradley Wiggins was ill after #parisnice. Thought he had shingles... which he didn't, but that's why he missed #E3.
    Didn't they think EBH had shingles once, too. Where are Sky training? The 19th century?
  • tailwindhome
    CBmNvkGWAAANpj3.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:
    Didn't they think EBH had shingles once, too. Where are Sky training? The 19th century?

Why do you say that?
    Shingles is just chickenpox for adults, no?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I always get a bit worried when someone tries a new technology in a major race!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Why do you say that?
    Shingles is just chickenpox for adults, no?
    It just sounds like an old fashion disease in my head.