Things you'd rather ban than radios/powermeters

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    3. Contadors' extremely naff "Pistolero" celebration

Yes! Alongside Sagan's antics on the finish line... though thankfully we were spared most of those in 2014.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    hough thankfully we were spared most of those in 2014.

Chuckle
    Correlation is not causation.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Carlton Kirby

(not personal, just the commentary).

Leave Carlton alone, you rotter.

He's my favourite despite Simon Yates winning the Tour of Turkey last year.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The consideration of the unwritten rules of cycle racing etiquette being considered by some as actual rules of a race thus getting rid of banal comments such as "He should never have attacked when..." and Swiss guys in yellow stopping people from racing when things aren't going his teams way
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The consideration of the unwritten rules of cycle racing etiquette being considered by some as actual rules of a race thus getting rid of banal comments such as "He should never have attacked when..." and Swiss guys in yellow stopping people from racing when things aren't going his teams way
    Yes. Good one.
    No waiting if you wouldn't have waited normally. If someone punctures, crashes etc, then just keep riding exactly as you would if he hadn't.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Joelsim wrote:
    Carlton Kirby

He puts me off watching cycling. Genuinely. I can't sit in the room with his commentary on.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Joelsim wrote:
    Carlton Kirby

He puts me off watching cycling. Genuinely. I can't sit in the room with his commentary on.

I'm not a fan, it's the drivel he speaks between race commentary that's just cringeworthy. Having said that his Keisse Tour of Turkey stage finish commentary is brilliant
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,536
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yes. Good one.
    No waiting if you wouldn't have waited normally. If someone punctures, crashes etc, then just keep riding exactly as you would if he hadn't.

Hmmmm....

I regard the unwritten rules of cycling etiquette as being little more than an attempt to standardise parameters and responses of the eternal game of "prisoner's dilemma" playing out between riders and teams, across multiple races and multiple seasons. They might look like "moral" decisions, but they're 99% pragmatic and motivated by self-interest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    Carlton Kirby

I'm not a fan, it's the drivel he speaks between race commentary that's just cringeworthy. Having said that his Keisse Tour of Turkey stage finish commentary is brilliant

I genuinely enjoy listening to him for his enthusiasm. It's true he does have a problem identifying riders more so than some others but his general style is much nicer to listen to than Declan and Rob. Anyway I digress...

I have to agree on the sprint stages being reduced in length, why ride for 6 hours on a pan-flat course for a couple of km's action at the end?
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Carlton Kirby

I genuinely enjoy listening to him for his enthusiasm. It's true he does have a problem identifying riders more so than some others but his general style is much nicer to listen to than Declan and Rob. Anyway I digress...

I have to agree on the sprint stages being reduced in length, why ride for 6 hours on a pan-flat course for a couple of km's action at the end?

Re Kirby. Cycling commentary should be considered a bit like cricket commentary is. I'm not watching cycling for a massive thrill ride. It's more cerebral than that. The entire enjoyment you get out of it is seeing how it gradually plays out, punctured with a few key moments. Helping the viewer identify (with their help of race radio & being able to spend their professional paid time studying riders) riders is a key, if not THE key function of a cycling commentator.

I'm enthusiastic about cycling as it is. He forces the enthusiasm issue, often getting overexcited when anyone knows it's not particularly exciting and makes horrendous mistakes. Genuinely, if it's on, I last about 15 minutes before getting so frustrated that the man on the TV is saying factually incorrect stuff. The guy is supposed to be professional. It's intolerable.

Anyway, re sprint stages - why ride for 6 hrs for a couple km finish? Have you ever ridden for 6hrs and tried to sprint afterwards? Isn't easy. By the logic you use above you might as well just watch sprinting on the track.

A big solution for sprint stages would be to reduce the coverage. They could make adjustments for potential echelon days etc, but we don't always need to see a Tour sprint stage from 14:00CET onwards.

Similar to test cricket, cycling's often best watched in the background for most of the day, until it gets to 15:30-16:00CET. Then you can sit in front and pay attention.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Interesting/key GT stages being held on a week day.
    Also stage finishes which clash with the school run
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Anyway, re sprint stages - why ride for 6 hrs for a couple km finish? Have you ever ridden for 6hrs and tried to sprint afterwards? Isn't easy. By the logic you use above you might as well just watch sprinting on the track.
    It may be harder, but does it make for a better race? I'd say you get more or less the same last twenty minutes. But a shorter race makes the break a more viable prospect and it also means that the stage will fit into TV schedules more reliably.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor

A big solution for sprint stages would be to reduce the coverage. They could make adjustments for potential echelon days etc, but we don't always need to see a Tour sprint stage from 14:00CET onwards.

Similar to test cricket, cycling's often best watched in the background for most of the day, until it gets to 15:30-16:00CET. Then you can sit in front and pay attention.

You do realise you aren't actually forced to watch it, don't you?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    Pan Flat GT stages should be a minimum of 10 hrs long, starting at 6am and finishing at 4pm and always into a head/crosswind in an attempt to reduce the number of bunch finishes and make them actually interesting whilst consigning Wilfred Nellissen/Djamolidine Abdoujaparov moments to the past. Hang on...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    You won't get many breakaways going with headwinds occurring.
  • pinno
    ThomThom wrote:
    You won't get many breakaways going with headwinds occurring.

...and tail winds would just keep the thing together or assist in closing down a few individuals. It's a no win situation. I say, ban flat stages completely.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Giro routes which don't pass my house.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    What would you call the French Tour if there were no flat stages.
    At the moment and for a Hundred years the Tour De France covers the whole country at some time or other and so you find that country has everything for a cyclist.
    Which is mainly Flat or Undulating country with some mountains thrown in.

Are you telling me you prefer the Dauphine to the Tour de France. ??
    Get Real please or Bug Off.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I.. I don't think you should take his comment that serious..
  • pinno
    ThomThom wrote:
    I.. I don't think you should take his comment that serious..

It's nice that finally someone has taken me seriously but...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Disc brakes are coming eventually so I'll drop in here with a pre-emptive ban of the word "rotor".

It's a bloody disc!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Daz555 wrote:
    Disc brakes are coming eventually so I'll drop in here with a pre-emptive ban of the word "rotor".

It's a bloody disc!

Specialized will buy Rotor and then we will all be sued for writing the name 'rotor' when talking in context of cycling...
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • joelsim
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

It's a bloody disc!

Specialized will buy Rotor and then we will all be sued for writing the name 'rotor' when talking in context of cycling...

This ^^^^. I will add Specialized's discs to the list of Specialized products that I will never buy i.e. all of them.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Bike computers that tell you how many calories you've burned, without asking you:

- Your age.
    - Your gender.
    - Your weight.
    - Bike weight.

Also without the device having:

- A little spirit level inside to check the gradient.
    - A little wind detector inside to check drag.

If any of those six things are not present, it cannot tell you how many calories you burned.

So, ban those under false advertising! You could roll down Snake Pass for 9 miles without one pedal stroke and these things would tell you you burned 150 calories or whatever.

Go out on an empty stomach, you're guaranteed to burn calories lol, just don't blame me when you are wobbling off and looking along the bushes for blackberries. :twisted: (been there, done that).
  • pinno
    Joelsim wrote:
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

It's a bloody disc!

This ^^^^. I will add Specialized's discs to the list of Specialized products that I will never buy i.e. all of them.

We all know that Specialized made that horrible incarnation the 'Stump jumper' which led to that lecherous flappity shorts and hairy legged brigade and it all went the dark way when he split from Cinelli, so yes, I agree; ban Specialized. They can't even spell there own brand name properly either.
  • rick_chasey
    Manc33 wrote:
    Bike computers that tell you how many calories you've burned, without asking you:

- Your age.
    - Your gender.
    - Your weight.
    - Bike weight.

If any of those six things are not present, it cannot tell you how many calories you burned.

So, ban those under false advertising! You could roll down Snake Pass for 9 miles without one pedal stroke and these things would tell you you burned 150 calories or whatever.

Go out on an empty stomach, you're guaranteed to burn calories lol, just don't blame me when you are wobbling off and looking along the bushes for blackberries. :twisted: (been there, done that).

Or a power meter....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Manc33 wrote:

- Your age.
    - Your gender.
    - Your weight.
    - Bike weight.

Or a power meter....

Mods! Deliberately off topic! ;-)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Yes. Good one.

I dunno. I find that aspect of cycling quite good, that if someone gets a pucture the bunch, while not exactly waiting for them, won't attack before they get back on the back, and that the race director will turn a blind eye to them drafting back.

It's in contrast to the likes of Formula 1 where an opponents misfortune is always ceased upon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    seized?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Sneezed.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.