Things you'd rather ban than radios/powermeters

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    The_Boy wrote:
    So I'm the only fan of head-to-toe leader's jersey colours?

edit: surely there is room in the sport for a bit of kitsch?

I assume you exclude the polka dots from that? There's a fine line between kitsch and completely tasteless!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Alan A wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    National jerseys outside of the country in which they were won.

What's so bad about National champs wearing their jersey?

It's like a premier league footballer wearing a different kit because they once got a cap playing for Ghana. Why wear team jerseys at all if half the peloton wears something else?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    So I'm the only fan of head-to-toe leader's jersey colours?

edit: surely there is room in the sport for a bit of kitsch?

I assume you exclude the polka dots from that? There's a fine line between kitsch and completely tasteless!

Taste is relative.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's like a premier league footballer wearing a different kit because they once got a cap playing for Ghana. Why wear team jerseys at all if half the peloton wears something else?
    It was fine when I started watching back in the 80s and there were only about five of them, but now there are just too many of them. Marc De Maar used to have one for being champion of Curacao FFS.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I'd ban;

Beards.

Black spokes (and white ones for that matter). Stainless-steel only.

Head-to-toe polka dot outfits.

Deep-section rims with gaudy manufacturer's decals. Ambrosio Nemisis or equivalent should be compulsory. :D

DD.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Dry Paris-Roubaix.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Bike changes, especially if there is nothing wrong like Contador on Stage 18
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Mechanics leaning out of team cars whilst on the move fixing bikes. Most of the time they're not really doing much, pretending to adjust the brakes etc but in reality thet're giving the rider a free push along the road to help them get back to the peloton.

Oh, and I 'd introduce a time benefit to anyone that does a long breakaway (say 60% or more of the stage length) even if they are caught before the finish.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    Finishing circuits.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Prize Money
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Prize Money
    Good evening Madame Amaury
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Prize Money
    Good evening Madame Amaury

Bonsoir

But I would get rid of it at the prestigious races. Smaller races could use it as a carrot to attract people, but for WT races the prestige of the race + salary should be enough.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Oleg Tinkov.
  • Pross
    Oh, and I 'd introduce a time benefit to anyone that does a long breakaway (say 60% or more of the stage length) even if they are caught before the finish.

That would either lead to a French tour winner or no break ever being allowed to get a lead.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:

That would either lead to a French tour winner or no break ever being allowed to get a lead.
    I'm sure he means 60% of the stage kilometers not 60% of the stage Time. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    arnuf wrote:
    Finishing circuits.
    Oh dear, No racing in the USA or Canada or GB and also the World Championships.....Kuurne, Poland, ENECO, and so on.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    ...and on that ^ note, boring World Championship courses.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    About half of the cars and motor bikes on the road during races which seem to serve no purpose other than getting in the way, drafting local riders and occasionally knocking others into fences.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Stages with a 50km descent to the finish line after HC mountain. It's ridiculous.
  • deejay wrote:

RV's and Motor Homes.

But then where would Arnaud Démare go for a poo during the Tour?
    Alan A wrote:
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Adverts on Eurosport.

Israeli tourism adverts to be most precise!

Yes, that got my metaphorical goat all damn Tour.
    mpatts wrote:
    The cringesome kiss from the podium ladies.

Unsurprisingly I'd ban podium women generally.

Oh yes and roundabouts. I'd ban roundabouts.

Anyway happy new year folks. I've been taking a break, but now the cycling is starting again, I thought I'd pop in to say hello.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    +1 for banning glammed-up podium girls
    +1 for banning white shorts

And lets ban shorts that look like big nappies as well (Tinkoff-Saxo)

PS welcome back AtC
  • Pross
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm sure he means 60% of the stage kilometers not 60% of the stage Time. :roll:

Yes, I can read although I still can't make out your point :?

It was a tongue in cheek comment about the amount of time French riders (on the smaller French teams) spend in long, forlorn breaks.
  • The USA Pro Challenge - or more specifically any attempt to televise it. Complete waste of airtime. 60 mins of live finishing line.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    In agreement with banning:
      White shorts Full-polka/green/yellow/whatever kits for competition leaders Podium girls Finishing circuits

Not in agreement with banning:
      National champs jerseys

I'd like to see banned:
      Time bonuses Sloping top tubes Black socks Big race date clashes Half-arsed national champs jerseys

I'd like to see brought back:
      Optional helmet wearing on big climbs The TDF Combination jersey Front disc wheels
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's not like that at all, you don't get to wear the National Champs kit because you make an appearance for the national squad at the olympics, WC etc. It would be like, all the footballers in England playing a huge game until one person wins that game and they wear the kit for the year.
  • RichN95.
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'd like to see banned:
    Sloping top tubes
    As someone with short little legs and declining flexibility, I think all top tubes should be sloping.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    Some of the flat stages in GT's can be downright boring and processional. The only thing that is worth looking at is the podium girls, so I am not joining any campaign to ban podium girls.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'd like to see brought back:
      Front disc wheels

On a finishing circuit of just roundabouts! In the rain! With a cross wind!

Happy days.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'd like to see banned:
    Sloping top tubes
    As someone with short little legs and declining flexibility, I think all top tubes should be sloping.

Sloping top tubes make those of us who are really, really small look that little bit taller by creating a bigger gap between saddle and top tube. Also supposed to be useful for the female anatomy. Yet to figure out exactly why, perhaps someone knows.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Bashing your female anatomy on a horizontal top tube is not to be recommended....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ddraver wrote:
    Bashing your female anatomy on a horizontal top tube is not to be recommended....

Or your male anatomy, for that matter. But never mind that, horizontal top tubes are just better looking :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.